This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Fission Superstar X, a 2D side scrolling roguelite shooter by Turbo Pelvis 3000.
The insane Dr. Leopold has sent you on a mission to deliver his latest nuclear bomb, Celine, to a target on the other end of the galaxy. Blast off on a rickety bomber and ensure that Celine becomes a “superstar.”
Fight off waves of enemies with an arsenal of ranged and melee weapons while blocking incoming fire with your shields. Upgrade your bomber and recruit a crew of quirky characters on your journey across the galaxy. You can check out a trailer above.
Fission Superstar X is available on Windows PC (via Steam) and Xbox One for $14.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
A Glamorous Solar Odyssey
Experience a weird, relentless solar tour in this randomly generated space rogue-lite. Travel from Planet X to Earth while fending off endless waves of attackers. What is the payload? A “superstar” nuclear bomb. What is the mission? To make her famous! Does it makes sense? Ask the “scientist” who built that thing!
While working on his latest nuclear bomb, Dr. Leopold had a revelation. He wasn’t creating a weapon of mass destruction; he was creating a nuclear superstar! Was it the radiation sickness or was Leopold always insane like this? Who knows and who cares? Now you must do his bidding and tour the solar system with Celine, his dear bomb. Who would not be thrilled to host the concert of a nuclear bomb under the control of a clearly insane scientist? Everybody it seems, that’s why they are all trying to destroy Leopold’s creation.
- Fight using ranged and melee weapons while blocking attacks with your shield.
- Manage your bomber and make difficult choices: Do you repair that flaming part, heal that nearly-dead crewman or upgrade your stats?
- Unlock 9 playable ships.
- Over 100 different possible crew members, from humans to space bears.
- 64 different weapons, from puny rifles to nuclear mortars.
- Over 20 different scientifically inaccurate environments, such as space whale pods and planetary atmospheres.
- Over 70 enemy types with variations including, Scavengers, Fascist Cats and Pugs from space, Giant insects and Dr. Leopold’s experimental rejects.
- Fight giant bosses on 8 different worlds from Pluto to Earth.
- Upgrade your ships, modify your famous payload, assemble the perfect crew and buy destructive weapons.
- Choose your challenge: do you dock at this station and spend 3 minutes dodging an angry Planetoid or do you skip that shop for an easier run through a colorful space aurora?
- Did that giant insect-shrimp thing at Saturn give you a beating before it died in chunks of meat? Just hit that detonate button and blow up your nuclear superstar. That’ll show the others.
- Die a lot, master the game and win a well-deserved victory.
- Work for the solar system’s ultimate genius, Dr. Leopold from Planet X.
Saving the universe is common, there is nothing of that sort here, it’s just an absurd quest for nuclear celebrity.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!