This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Precipice, a Cold War era strategy game by Little Red Dog Games.
Precipice takes its inspiration from board games like Twilight Struggle, and places you in control of either the US or USSR at the height of the Cold War. You can check out a trailer above.
Protect your allies, recruit new nations to your cause, fight proxy wars, and sabotage the efforts of your rival superpower, all while trying to avoid nuclear devastation. Oh, and every nation is represented by a cute animal that the country is famous for.
Precipice is available on Windows PC and Linux via Steam for $11.99.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Atomic Age Brinkmanship
Take control of the United States or Soviet Union and provide technical and economic assistance to guerrillas all over the world fighting for your cause, all while avoiding a direct and open-confrontation with the enemy.
In Precipice, subterfuge is the most important strategy. Safeguard your closest allies and change unfavorable regimes without giving away your long-term ambitions. Every action risks an enemy reprisal, and if nobody backs down from a standoff, we all lose.
Will you be victorious in the Cold War, or will you send us all over the precipice of nuclear annihilation?
- Tense strategy for one or two players. Face a highly-responsive, unpredictable AI that will attempt to understand your strategy and counter it at every turn, or invite a friend and see if you can collectively work to avoid global catastrophe online.
- World leaders from 72 countries realized as animals native to the region, all pawns in the dangerous game of nuclear chicken.
- Manage resources from territories under your control to resolve immediate crises or win over future allies.
- Recreate history, or forge your own path. Put a bear on the moon. The possibilities are endless.
- Simple, intuitive gameplay that is also difficult to master.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!