Subverse, the ambitious erotic RPG by the absolute degenerates at Studio FOW, has entered its final two weeks of funding on Kickstarter.
When I initially covered the game in one of my usual Kickstarter articles, Subverse was going steady, but not quite funded yet. Since then, the campaign has exploded. The last few days alone have seen the campaign increase by around $100k per day, most likely due to the recent and ongoing drama with Tim Pool. As I write this, the game is currently sitting at $919,288 raised by 22,212 backers that desperately need to invite the light of Jesus Christ into their tainted souls. By the time you read this article, it’s entirely possible it has already surpassed $1 million.
If you’re somehow clueless about Subverse, its a ridiculously NSFW erotic RPG that started life as some experimental shorts that Studio FOW made while playing around in Unreal Engine. Over time, it morphed into what’s possibly the largest and most ambitious adult game the Western games industry has ever seriously attempted.
While the adult content is obviously the primary draw of the game, Subverse looks like it has some pretty solid gameplay mechanics to go along with levels depravity that will surely give your mother a heart attack if she caught you playing it. You can engage in ship-to-ship combat in a top-down shmup.
The part that’s most relevant to my own interests are the tactical turn-based battles where your crew of intergalactic waifus and their genetically modified, vat-grown bioweapons face off against all manner of aliens, outlaws, and bandits that probably want to molest you with horrifying tentacles and prehensile appendages before claiming the bounty on your head.
Here’s a more detailed rundown of the game:
Welcome to a new era in adult entertainment!
Tired of crappy, low effort hentai games? Then enter the Subverse – an old school PC gaming experience developed from the ground up for the discerning adult by an experienced team of filthy apex perverts.
EXPLORE A WACKY NEW GALAXY
Discover the Prodigium Galaxy – filled to the brim with original lore and thick, meaty content. Explore dozens of star systems and hundreds of planets to find all sorts of missions, anomalies and other interesting stuff like sexy bounty hunter squidgirls that relentlessly stalk you and your equally sexy crew of waifus..
FIGHT IN SPACE OR PLANETSIDE
Throw down in either SHMUP-style space missions dripping with retro nostalgia or take the thinking man’s approach and duke it out on the ground with dynamic turn-based combat. Mastering both modes will lead to glorious booty so you can upgrade your ship and troops.
YOUR OWN SHIP
The Mary Celeste not only holds the record for fastest sub-light delivery of weed in the galaxy but she’s also your base of operations. Watch your ship evolve and grow as more aliens join your crew and start living in the various quarters. Just make sure you clean up after them. And watch out for Dallick from maintenance, he’s kind of a dick.
ROGUE’S GALLERY OF BADASS BABES
There are no good girls in Subverse. Well, not until you train them, anyway. These are the baddest babes in the galaxy complete with exceptional combat potential and drop-dead gorgeous looks. Earn their loyalty and get some other exceptional benefits in the process. Like sex.
UNWIND AFTER A HARD DAY
It’s time for some fully animated StudioFOW-quality rewards! Experience a diverse array of scenes from
- F/F pairings
- F/M pairings
- F/whatever the FUCK that thing is pairings
all animated by the same team that brought you such cinematic classics as “Bioshag Trinity” and “Mila Red Riding Hood”
- No Pay2Win, no Gacha, no Lootboxes and no daily logins. Get rewarded for winning, not for losing. Spend your XP and loot to unlock filthier sex scenes.
- Nine unique waifus to join your crew, all fully animated and voice acted by the sultriest VA’s in the biz.
- Powered by the latest Unreal Engine 4 tech, this is Studio FOW like you’ve never seen them before! Beautifully rendered babes and the trademark cinematic quality has been given the next-gen treatment.
- Unlock fully animated sex scenes as rewards. Enjoy a diverse range of fetishes catering to every perverted whim.
- Cinematic slides and fully animated models drive the story forward.
- Customize your waifus appearance by equipping impractically sexy skins.
- Fight in space SHMUP and JRPG-inspired ground combat missions.
- Upgrade and progression system where you can improve your ship and waifu’s combat abilities.
- Breed an army of bio-engineered aliens to fight alongside your waifus…and keep them company.
- Enjoy an absurdist comedic singleplayer storyline alongside a free-roam mode where you can explore at your own pace.
- Full 3D environments and backgrounds. No 2D backdrops.
- A pulsating 25+ track OST with chillstep, trap and synthwave tunes.
If you’d like to pledge, head over to the Subverse Kickstarter page. You can get a no-frills copy of the game for as little as $13, but there’s plenty of higher tiers with rewards like an artbook, digital pinup calendar, exclusive in-game extras, and more. The game will be released on Steam Early Access sometime this Summer, and the full game is expected to be done next year.