MicroProse has returned from the dead, and what’s more they’re co-publishing a new game with former alumni of their old company.
The American video game company is co-publishing WarBirds 2020 for WindowS PC and Mac in Unreal Engine, with a targeted fall 2019 release. While former MicroProse staff moved on to other ventures, their old co-founder ‘Wild Bill’ Stealey is heading the other involved company – iEntertainment Network.
MicroProse’s new CEO, David Lagettie, talked up the revival: “I am excited to work with iEntertainment Network CEO and Co-Founder of MicroProse, ‘Wild Bill’ Stealey, to produce the next generation of WarBirds 2020 WW II combat flight simulation using new modern technology and promoting worldwide.”
Wild Bill Stealey added, “It will be fun to be working with MicroProse again to do great simulation games! We are very excited to be partnering with David and his team to update our very successful WarBirds 2020 product for WW II combat simulation fans around the world.”
Here’s some key features for the new game:
- Launching for PC/Mac computers fall 2019.
- Mobile and game system versions to launch in 2020.
- Brand new graphics system using the Unreal 4 engine.
- High Detail Cockpits and Aircraft.
- New technology to map actual physical locations for more realistic simulation.
- Regular Historical Events are held monthly over large geographical areas like Europe, Japan, and not the small area skirmishes of many other sim games.
The latest game in the WarBirds franchise is the 2018-released game WarBirds – World War II Combat Aviation – 2018Steam, which is currently available for PC (via ). It remains unseen how MicroProse has been revived over 15 years later, with the MicroProse brand sold off by former parent company Atari back in 2007.
We’ll keep you guys posted.