This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Ancient Frontier: Steel Shadows, a tactical RPG by Fair Weather Studios that released last month. The game is a standalone follow-up to their previous game, Ancient Frontier, which released back in 2017.
You play as Rogan Harker, an ex-con that has slipped back into his old ways as a pirate harassing the trading lanes of the Frontier. Scrap enemy ships for the loot and parts you need to expand your fledgling corsair fleet. Launch hit-and-run raids on Federation patrols to weaken their hold on the sector, and to acquire higher end military hardware.
You can check out a trailer for the game above. Ancient Frontier: Steel Shadows is available on Windows PC via Steam for $14.99, and it’s currently 20% off.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
A new chapter in the world of Ancient Frontier!
Steel Shadows is a standalone RPG set in the epic universe of Ancient Frontier. You do NOT need to own or have played Ancient Frontier to enjoy this content. Take command of a rag tag band of pirates and outlaws as you fight your way across the Frontier for treasure and glory. Delve into our latest turn based tactical RPG.
You play as Rogan Harker, a recently freed convict. He travels to the Frontier to find old friends and start a new life. But the overpowering Federation still controls most of the Frontier, and the new and budding Alliance is no fan of outlaws. Hated and feared, the pirate life is one of constant danger. Friends and allies are hard to find and harder still to keep. Beset on all sides can Rogan find fame and fortune with his fledgling pirate fleet?
- A full campaign with over 20 story missions
- Over 50 procedurally generated side missions
- Dynamic initiative-based turn-based combat
- Purchase, outfit and control the unique Pirate faction ships
- Hire and assign crew members that gain experience and power along with your ships
- Hidden unique mercenaries and ships to add to your fleet
- Experience over 50 random events
- Customize your play style by unlocking technologies in an extensive Tech Tree
- Large, detailed space maps to fight across
- Three different strategic resources to manage
- Dozens of different weapon systems and abilities to control
- Includes both free DLCs; Ancient Frontier – The Crew and Ancient Frontier – Quests and Events
Will you survive the frontier?
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!