This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Tangledeep, a 16-bit dungeon crawling roguelike RPG by Impact Gameworks that released from Early Access back in February.
Tangledeep is a retro-inspired roguelike that promises to offer a deep dungeon crawling experience to players of any skill level by offering 10 difficulty modifiers. You can even turn the permadeath off by playing Adventure Mode if you so choose.
Pick from one of 12 jobs and explore vast, procedurally generated dungeons. Power up your gear by conquering item dungeons, or capture, raise, and breed monsters to serve as your faithful companions.
If all that wasn’t enough, you can compete against other players in the leaderboards of daily and weekly challenges. There’s also full Steam Workshop support so you can easily make and share new content with the community. You can check out a trailer above.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Tangledeep combines the 16-bit graphics and polish of classic SNES-era RPGs with elements from roguelikes and dungeon crawlers to create a magical experience for players of all skill levels. Trapped in underground villages with no memory of the world at the surface, you must survive an ever-changing labyrinth to discover what lies above. Experience rich, tactical, turn-based gameplay as you explore a sprawling dungeon that’s different each time you play. Tangledeep features a customizable job system and hundreds of collectible items that allow you to approach each playthrough in a totally new way!
For hundreds of years, people have lived in the safety of underground settlements and villages – where the only route to the surface is “Tangledeep,” a mysterious and ever-changing labyrinth. With memories of the surface world long forgotten, you set out for the labyrinth to discover what lies above. With each floor – full of magical beasts, ancient automatons, bizarre environments and hybrid biomes – the mystery grows ever deeper…
- Experience finely-tuned, procedurally-generated and handcrafted gameplay as you fight challenging monsters, complete quests, and collect rare items.
- Master deep, tactical turn-based combat across 12 unique jobs with over 100 skills.
- Choose between three game modes – including Adventure Mode, which removes the pain of permadeath.
- Capture nearly any monster in the game and raise them in the Monster Corral as a pet, or breed them with other monsters!
- Make your experience easier, harder, or just plain wackier with over 10 included Game Modifiers
- Share some of your progress between characters by using the banking system and planting magic trees
- Explore ITEM DREAMS, randomized mini-dungeons where anything goes, and power up your gear!
- Take in the scenery – comprised of beautiful 16-bit graphics and carefully handcrafted maps!
- Relax to a beautiful soundtrack inspired by the most legendary RPGs of the SNES era, composed by award-winning composer Andrew Aversa – joined by Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana), Grant Kirkhope (GoldenEye 007, Civilization: Beyond Earth), and Norihiko Hibino (Metal Gear Solid 3, Bayonetta)
- Participate in daily / weekly challenge runs and compare to your friends with Leaderboard support!
- Full support for Steam cloud saves, trading cards, and crafting with lovely badges, emoticons and profile backgrounds
- Steam Workshop: Create and download player mods with new monsters, items, spritesheets, areas, and more!
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!