This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Today’s Spotlight is Airheart, a twin-stick roguelite shooter set in a high-flying dieselpunk world by Blindflug Studios.
You play as Amelia, a young ace pilot from the floating city of Granaria, with aspirations to reach the stratosphere in her custom airplane. Each level gradually builds upon itself, allowing you to see the locations of your previous missions below you as you climb ever higher. Defeat sky pirates and hunt flying fish to earn money and scrap so you can upgrade your fighter and take on greater challenges.
One of your primary weapons in both hunting and aerial dogfights is a harpoon launcher, allowing you to snare enemies, throw foes into each other or terrain, and strategically rip off pieces of armor and weapons. You can check out the launch trailer above.
The developers also recently released a short, text-driven survival game prequel called Cloud Chasers- Journey of Hope that follows Amelia’s father.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Airheart is a dieselpunk airplane action rogue like game, where every colorful level is built on top of the previous one, all the way up to the stratosphere.
Welcome to Granaria, a flying city in the clouds. Meet Amelia – a young pilot and fisherwoman wishing to reach the abundant worlds edge. Sky fishing became a really dangerous job, with pirates roaming around everywhere. So start your engines, arm your airplane and get ready to make the catch of a lifetime!
Airheart combines free roaming, twin stick gameplay with a beautiful, colorful world. Defeat your enemies, salvage their scrap and reuse it to craft new parts for your airplane. Build and try out over 40 weapons and airplane parts. Combine their abilities to become the pirates worst nightmare. Or just have some fun with your enemies and use your harpoon to disarm, unshield, swing them around or drag them back home to disassemble them.
An airplane game, reimagined in a wonderful world, Airheart is a treat to fans and newcomers to flight action games alike.
- Exploration – Assemble your airplane and take off on your quest of rising through all the sky layers above the city of Granaria. With every level built on top of the previous one, it’s a huge 3D space to explore and fight in.
- Battles – Arm your plane with machine guns, sniper rifles or lasers and fight off dozens of different enemies. With over fourty weapons and plane parts to craft and discover, there is a ton of explosive combinations.
- Fishing – Catch flying fish and sell their precious oil to buy a new equipment. Be careful, some of them will try to hunt… YOU!
- Harpooning – Use your harpoon to reel in and bring home giant fish, disassemble your enemies, fling them into rocks or even steal your foes weaponry!
- Skylayers – Find launch bases to advance to ever higher sky layers and explore the changing seasons on the way to the stratosphere! But be thorough to find all their secrets and collect tons of loot!
- Bosses – Get ready to fight powerful bosses like a zeppelin or a mechanical snake, that will try to hinder your advance to the highest regions. Being a fisherwoman in the sky is not a piece of cake.
- Crafting – Collect junk of defeated enemy airplanes and tinker on new inventions in your workshop. Craft all new parts and weapons for your airplane, the results might surprise you…
- Amazing Graphics – You know those hypnotizingly beautiful flowers, that hunt bugs? Well, that’s a great metaphor for the colorful world of Airheart. Chosen as one of Game Art Challenge winners from the Game Developers Conference 2018, Airheart will enchant you with its unique art style.
- Great Music – A custom made soundtrack promises to keep you energized and ready for the adventure!
- Dynamic Gameplay – Challenging enemies, interesting combination of guns and harpoon, hunting rare fish between sky islands – it’s tons of fun!
- Interesting Background – The skylayers will change with new species entering the ecosystem as you play. Inspired by how real habitats change due to overfishing in the real world.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!