Auroch Digital and Ripstone have just released Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics on PC.
Cthulhu Tactics is based on the tabletop RPG and miniatures line by Modiphius Entertainment. The series is a “Weird War” take on WWII where the Nazis have gained the upper hand by using their occult knowledge to summon Lovecraftian horrors from beyond our reality.
Players will lead a crack commando squad deep behind enemy lines in the secret war to defeat the Cult of the Black Sun, the organization responsible for the more supernatural weapons and creatures in the Axis arsenal.
The gameplay mostly involves turn-based tactical engagements with an upgradable squad of heroes using the latest in Allied weapons technology and anti-occult tactics.
Use light-based abilities to drive back unspeakable horrors, and take advantage of the Momentum system to turn the tide of battle in your favor. You’ll need to use every advantage you can, because as you can expect from the subject matter, the mental health of your troops can deteriorate when facing creatures not meant to be seen by human eyes. You can find the launch trailer above.
Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics is available on Windows PC via Steam for $24.99. It’ll be making its way to consoles sometime later this year.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
Challenge the horrifying reign of Nazi terror and battle an immortal evil in Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics; a turn-based tactical strategy game set in the award-winning Achtung! Cthulhu universe.
In this raging Secret War across Europe, an untold darkness spreads deep beneath the Earth and throughout the Forest of Fear. The unknown lurks in the shadows and you must claim victory at any cost, because whilst Nazi factions terrorise these lands, they are not the darkest foe you face…
Behind enemy lines and tasked with overthrowing a nightmare alliance of dark science and the occult, you hold the fate of humanity in your hands. Lead your elite squad of allied forces to victory using daring tactics and cunning strategies to overthrow the Cult of the Black Sun and destroy the Mythos secrets they plan to use.
- Tactical Combat: direct a squad of allied heroes in innovative turn-based ground battles.
- Momentum System: perform well in combat by racking up kills and executing critical hits to earn Momentum and turn the tide of battle in your favour.
- Light vs Dark: harness the power of the light to expose and suppress the spawn of Cthulhu hiding in wait in the oppressive darkness.
- AP System: every decision is important and the Action Point System gives you the flexibility to put as much emphasis into heavy combat or nimble movement as you like.
- Psychological System: witness too many horrors of war and watch as your unit’s sanity begins to unravel mid-fight.
- Build Your Team: characters have unique skills that can be unlocked and levelled up in different ways, and weapons can be modified to give a variety of benefits. This lets you customise your squad to better vanquish Nazi scum.
- Weird World War: explore the Lovecraft-meets-WW2 universe of Achtung! Cthulhu like never before with Mythos-inspired enemies and a story-driven campaign handcrafted by John Houlihan which ties directly into the pen and paper roleplaying game narrative.