Ragnarok has come to Northgard, the hit Viking strategy game by Shiro Games.
The developers describe this as the biggest update for Northgard since it left Early Access back in March. The highlight is the titular Ragnarok map, which is full of suitably cataclysmic random events and tiles, such as the Blood Moon, Volcano, and Fallen Sailors.
The update also adds the Myrkalfar, a neutral faction of dark elves that will raid nearby settlements for their wealth. The Myrkalfar can be bargained with however, allowing players to trade with them to redirect their attacks towards your enemies.
Finally, the update adds the new Military Paths mechanic. Players will gain experience whenever they kill enemy units or lose their own warriors in battle, and that experience can be traded in for buffs from one of three paths.
You can read the full patch notes here, and check out the launch trailer above.
Here’s a rundown of the game:
After years of tireless explorations, brave Vikings have discovered a new land filled with mystery, danger and riches: Northgard.
The boldest Northmen have set sail to explore and conquer these new shores, bring fame to their Clan and write history through conquest, trading, or devotion to the Gods.
That is, if they can survive the dire wolves and undead warriors roaming the land, befriend or defeat the giants, and survive the harshest winters ever witnessed in the North.
- Build your settlement on the newly discovered continent of Northgard
- Assign your vikings to various jobs (Farmer, Warrior, Sailor, Loremaster…)
- Manage your resources carefully and survive harsh winters and vicious foes
- Expand and discover new territory with unique strategic opportunities
- Achieve different victory conditions (Conquest, Fame, Lore, Trading…)
- Play against your friends or against an AI with different difficulty levels and personalities
- Enjoy dedicated servers and grind the ranks to reach the final Norse God rank!