This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
In today’s Niche Spotlight, I want to highlight Star Traders: Frontiers, the latest game from an obscure two-man development team called the Trese Brothers. It’s the third game in their Star Traders series, and easily their most ambitious title yet.
The game is now available for Windows PC, Mac, and Linux on Steam for $14.99.
Frontiers gives you a chance to explore a procedurally generated open universe that constantly changes based on both your actions, and the machinations of the rival factions and races that populate the galaxy.
Frontiers allows you to pursue 26 different paths, including trader, miner, bounty hunter, pirate, and mercenary. Previous games set in the Star Traders universe tended to focus on either ship-to-ship combat or squad-based tactical gunfights, but Frontiers features a bit of both.
Here’s the rundown on the game:
Command your ship and crew as a space pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, and more in Star Traders: Frontiers – an epic space RPG from Trese Brothers Games. Venture forth into a massive open universe, rich with adventure and the lore of the Star Traders. Choose your path by assembling and commanding your custom crew and spaceship in a constantly evolving galaxy torn by internal strife, political intrigue, and alien threats. Will you fly as a pirate terrorizing shipping lanes, join the solar wars as a military captain, or track targets across the stars as a fearsome bounty hunter?
- Explore a rich, open universe: Discover endless procedurally-generated galactic maps, meet unique characters, and take on enemies to conquer the galaxy!
- Become an intergalactic captain: Take on the role of a spy, smuggler, explorer, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, and more (26 jobs total)!
- Customize your own spaceship: Choose from more than 300 upgrades and build your very own vessel to venture across the vast reaches of space.
- Assemble and tailor a loyal crew: Assign talents and equip specialized gear for every spaceship crew member.
- Experience an ever-changing narrative: Decide to make friends or foes with other factions and influence political, economic, and personal vendettas.
- Mold the crew by your choices: As you make decisions and set the tone for your ship, your crew will grow and change to match. Destroy enemy ships with all hands on deck and your crew will become more bloodthirsty and savage. Explore distant worlds and loot dangerous wastelands and your crew will become intrepid and clever … or scarred and half-mad.
- Varied Difficulty Options! play with save slots to try out different builds or storylines or turn on character permadeath and enjoy classic roguelike experience
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!