This is Niche Culture. In this column, we regularly cover anime, geek culture, and things related to video games. Please leave feedback and let us know if there’s something you want us to cover!
Prima Games has announced they’re publishing a new book focused on female creators in the gaming industry, titled simply Women in Gaming: 100 Pioneers of Play.
The new book was handled by Meagan Marie, senior community manager at Crystal Dynamics (formerly a Game Informer editor), who interviewed one hundred female developers in the gaming industry across a multitude of studios.
Here’s a list of the notable women featured in the book:
- Ashly Burch: Emmy-winning writer and voice actress
- Carol Shaw: Early industry programmer, designer, and Industry Icon award recipient
- Tracy Fullerton: Designer and director of USC Game Innovation Lab
- Amy Hennig: Senior creative director and Writers Guild of America award winner
- Emily Greer: Cofounder and CEO of Kongregate
- Perrin Kaplan: Former vice president of marketing for Nintendo of America
- Jane Ng: Senior game artist at Campo Santo
- Patricia Vance: Longtime ESRB president and founder of the International Age Rating Coalition
- Karisma Williams: Xbox and Oculus VR Senior UI/UX Designer
- Rebecca Heineman: Programmer and founding member of Interplay Productions
It’s worth pointing out all the aforementioned developers are known for their work in the western gaming industry – it remains to be seen if any female Japanese gaming developers were included in this work.
Women in Gaming: 100 Pioneers of Play is launching on November 6th for $24.99. Pre-orders are available here via the Prima Games store.