Devolver Digital and Sabotage Studios announced a Nintendo Switch port for The Messenger.
The game will hit the hybrid console sometime this summer, alongside its Windows PC release.
Here’s a rundown on the game, via its Steam page:
As a demon army besieges his village, a young ninja ventures through a cursed world, to deliver a scroll paramount to his clan’s survival.
Leveraging players expectations as a core game design ingredient, The Messenger is first presented as an 8-bit action platformer with a simple story, that unravels into an epic time traveling tale, eventually revealing itself as a 16-bit Metroidvania game packed with replay value and deadpan humor.
- An epic ninja adventure with challenging gameplay and tight controls.
- Legit 8-bit and 16-bit art and music reminiscent of your favorite NES and SNES games.
- Memorable cast of (often silly) villains, bosses and associates.
- Catchy soundtrack by renowned chiptune composer Rainbowdragoneyes, made in Famitracker.
- Character upgrades, new abilities, hidden levels and story arcs to discover.
- Challenging and visceral gameplay where mastery is a thing to behold.