Rumor: Playground Games Working on New Story-Driven, Open-World Fable Game

A new rumor is making the rounds that points to a true new Fable game, despite Microsoft cancelling Fable Legends and shuttering its developer Lionhead Studios.

The new rumor, via Eurogamer sources, points to Forza Horizon developer Playground Games working on the new project, which they’re saying is story-driven and built within a big open-world type experience.

Furthermore, “sources close to the project” say there is a sizeable investment being put into the game and its development, with roughly 200 staff working on it. These staff are working from Playground’s newly established Leamington Spa, Warwickshire studio location.

Despite the assets from the previous entries in the series being retained at Microsoft, the sources note the new Fable game is being developed entirely from scratch. The sources also note that Microsoft’s newfound interest in the Fable franchise comes from Sony’s commercial success with the single-player only PS4 game Horizon: Zero Dawn.

We’ll keep you guys posted.

1. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    January 17, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Fable and “built within a big open-world type experience.” don’t belong in the same sentence.They don’t belong in the same article.If you write a book then you can only have it once but with a negation between the two then you quickly move on and never mention it again.Ever.

Fable has character.For that you need a smaller world with extreme attention to detail.With very few encounters.With limited loot.With no crafting.It also needs to be cartooney.That picture doesn’t look like it belongs in Fable.
    Don’t just copy the success of something then slap the name Fable on it and expect it to be good.Maybe this will be really good and I’m overreacting from a few rumors but if they make an open world Fable game then it will be shit.

2. Person Man
    Person Man
    January 17, 2018 at 1:06 pm

I don’t think we’ll ever top the potential and charm that the original Fable had. All the other sequels were disappointing and tone-death in comparison.

If we do get a new Fable game, mark my words it’ll just be another boring and dull Action RPG with copy-paste quests and an absolutely dull but “cinematic” main story.

3. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    January 17, 2018 at 1:08 pm

It’s Fable; anything said about what they’re going for is always overblown from what you actually get.

January 17, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Well, best of luck to them. Microsoft has a tendency to kill their first party games for no reason.

5. Jared Bellow
    Jared Bellow
    January 17, 2018 at 2:17 pm

I had a blast in Fable 2 marrying basically everybody in the game and sticking them in a Gypsy Camp as soon as I got bored. Fable 3 was terrible.

6. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    January 17, 2018 at 2:52 pm

*It’s an open world game called Fable.It’s not Fable.And I never judge Fable by the promises.I set up Fable the Lost Chapters as the standard and go from there.

7. STARSBarry
    STARSBarry
    January 17, 2018 at 4:48 pm

naaa man dont you know video gamers, you have to be called Ubisoft and force everything to be Openworld thats what the gamers want man.

8. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    January 17, 2018 at 5:56 pm

It’s gonna be like Dragon Age: Inquisition but with even uglier elves.

9. SuperiorBeing
    SuperiorBeing
    January 17, 2018 at 6:37 pm

ENOUGH OPEN WORLD.

10. Dr. Roswell. W
    Dr. Roswell. W
    January 17, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Pretty much nailed what I want to say. This is going to be souless, and as much as I detest what the series degenerated into, souless is one thing I wouldn’t call it.

Hey, even that kinect game had it charm.

11. Pill Dickle
    Pill Dickle
    January 17, 2018 at 9:06 pm

you look like the inside of a nose

12. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    January 18, 2018 at 12:42 am

I agree.I guess that’s the reason I don’t hate Fable 3 as much as everybody else.As you said,it has it’s charm.

13. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    January 18, 2018 at 12:44 am

Silly me.I guess I need to catch up with the current trends.

January 18, 2018 at 12:59 am

Is fable not open world already? You could kill everyone in a town and buy their houses…