Nintendo has announced Nintendo Labo, a new interactive build-and-play experience for the Nintendo Switch.
The entire line of creation kits will launch on April 20th in two “Toy-Con” kits. Featured above, you can view the announcement trailer for the new toy kits.
Here’s a rundown on the information:
What is Nintendo Labo?
Nintendo Labo combines the magic of Nintendo Switch with the fun of DIY creations.
Start with a piece of cardboard…
Build a 13-key piano… a fishing pole… even a motorbike. Add your Nintendo Switch console to power it up and…
Hold a recital, catch a fish, or win a race.
With Nintendo Labo, building is just as much fun as playing. Have fun discovering how it all works—you might even invent new ways to play with each Toy-Con creation.
THAT’S Nintendo Labo. What will YOU create?
Nintendo Labo Studio
Parents, do you…
- Have one or more kids ages 6 to 12?
- Live near San Francisco or New York City?
- Want to attend a 3-hour Nintendo Labo Studio hands-on event?
If so, enter below for a chance to attend.
Space is very limited, so be sure to enter right away!
Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit – $69.99 – April 20
Make, play, and discover with five different Toy-Con projects:
- 2 RC Cars – Insert the Left and Right Joy-Con into your newly built RC Car and control its movement using touch screen controls on the Nintendo Switch console. The HD Rumble feature in the Joy-Con controllers will cause vibrations that move the car in the direction you choose. Materials to construct two RC Cars are included.
- 1 Fishing Rod – Construct the Fishing Rod with an active, rotating reel that is attached by string to a cradle holding the Nintendo Switch console. Catch one of many exotic fish shown swimming on the Nintendo Switch screen by casting your Fishing Rod and unwinding the reel to lower the hook. Once you feel a vibration from the Joy-Con inserted in the reel, you must tug the Fishing Rod upward and crank the reel quickly to try and complete the catch!
- 1 House – By inserting various assembled blocks into openings in the sides and bottom of the House, you can interact with, play games with and feed a cute creature on the front-facing Nintendo Switch screen. Each differently shaped block is detected by the IR Motion Camera on the Right Joy-Con inserted on top of the House.
- 1 Motorbike – Insert each Joy-Con into an assembled set of handlebars to drive a motorbike on the Nintendo Switch screen. Pressing the ignition button starts the engine, while twisting the right handle activates the throttle. Leaning your body or turning the handlebars left and right controls the motorbike.
- 1 Piano – After assembling a beautifully crafted 13-key piano and inserting the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con, you can experiment with your own musical creations by pressing different keys. You can even insert different assembled knobs to create new sound effects and tones!
Included with this kit:
- Nintendo Labo Variety Kit software
- Cardboard sheet x 28 (includes extra sheet for customization)
- Reflective sticker sheet x 3
- Sponge sheet x 3
- String (orange) x 1
- String (blue) x 1
- Eyelet set (gray) x 1
- Eyelet set (blue) x 1
- Rubber band (large) x 2 + spares
- Rubber band (small) x 6 + spares
Tyo-Con 02: Robot Kit – $79.99 – April 20
Create a wearable Robot suit, and insert the Left and Right Joy-Con into the designated slots on the backpack and visor to assume control of the robot, which is shown on the TV when the Nintendo Switch console is docked. Enjoy a variety of fun game-play experiences, including Robot mode, in which you can destroy in-game buildings and UFOs.
Included with this kit
- Nintendo Labo Robot Kit software
- Cardboard sheet x 19
- Cardstock sheets x 4
- Reflective sticker sheet x 1
- Orange string x 2
- Blue string x 2
- Gray canvas straps (large) x 1
- Gray canvas straps (medium) x 1
- Gray canvas straps (small) x 2
- Eyelet set (gray) x 10
- Eyelet set (orange) x 2