Koji Igarashi Talks Up Transition from Konami, Competition, and How Bloodstained is Different

Full Disclosure: I have financially backed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night on Kickstarter.

Castlevania series producer Koji Igarashi has been toiling away over his first post-Konami project – Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. While we unfortunately didn’t have the chance to meet him at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo, the creator did talk up the game, as well as his transition from Konami.

“With Castlevania, I’d been working on a long-running franchise where fans knew more about the games than I did,” Igarashi said to Kotaku when talking about the pressure of Kickstarter, as well as transitioning from his job at Konami.

“With Bloodstained, the pressure that we feel isn’t much different. There’s still hardcore fans who know more that we do. That’s a good kind of pressure, not bad, and something that we always feel and have gotten used to. One thing that was challenging was creating material to show to backers for a new title. What we’re used to, especially in the Japanese industry, is sharing promotional material around three months before the release date to create hype. There isn’t always much hype after that. It can feel like you’ll run out of material to show people, and that’s been a challenge with Bloodstained.”

Igarashi also talked up how Bloodstained is different from his work on the iconic Castlevania series. “Well, the core concept of Bloodstained is having that same gameplay experience as games from the past,” he said. “The story and the characters and plot are quite different, but what we really did want to capture was having the same experience from the past and being able to play it now.”

Finally, Igarashi was also questioned regarding competition, specifically in regards to NieR creator Taro Yoko saying he wanted “less competition” from other developers.

“I feel the opposite and want more people to make games. I want more and more games and to keep working. I want to go back to the time of the SNES, when so many developers were creating new types of games,” Igarashi said.

“I really loved the chaotic feeling during that time when everyone was creating games. Right now there’s a lot of AAA titles, but it seems like the indie games are where the passion is, and I’d like to see more of that.”

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is on track for a release sometime next year, across PC, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4, PS Vita, Xbox One, and the Nintendo Switch.

, , , ,

June 23, 2017 at 4:16 pm

I wonder how this Kickstarter will implode.

2. Gale
    Gale
    June 23, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I hope the game is good.

3. Just Some Guy
    Just Some Guy
    June 23, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Glad he got away from Konami’s clutches.

4. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    June 23, 2017 at 4:36 pm

They don’t make it easy.

5. CrimsonColossus
    CrimsonColossus
    June 23, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Are people actually taking Taro’s comments seriously? I thought it was obvious that he was just taking the piss.

6. DwightParkman
    DwightParkman
    June 23, 2017 at 6:23 pm

i think im in love with miriam

7. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    June 23, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Hopefully it won’t. I already have Star Citizen on my “you probably dun goofed” KS lists, don’t really want a second one.

June 23, 2017 at 7:44 pm

The track record for these nostalgia filled kickstarters isn’t great, but I do hope the game turns out to be OK for your sake.

9. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    June 23, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Optimism is all I have left at this point…

June 23, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Yeah, the whole crowdfunding system is crap.

11. Syndromic
    Syndromic
    June 23, 2017 at 8:20 pm

The only kickstarter I backed was the game called Hover and I’m satisfied with the result. The dev showed utmost competency and care into their project without generating controversy. Backing kickstarter is like playing a roulette. Some dev does deserve the praise for fulfilling the project while others like Sean Murray needs to be kicked out of game industry.

June 23, 2017 at 9:14 pm

The issue is within the system itself. There is no accountability for the developers. Backers take all the risks and have 0 control over the project and what the final product would look like.

13. anon9370
    anon9370
    June 24, 2017 at 3:37 am

Castle No. 9.

14. A Loli de 42 'anos
    A Loli de 42 'anos
    June 24, 2017 at 9:35 am

of course he was. it’s friggin’ Yoko Taro! Probably just people who don’t know how he is would take that kind of comment serious.

15. A Loli de 42 'anos
    A Loli de 42 'anos
    June 24, 2017 at 9:36 am

well, they’re all being done by diferent people so it really depends on the dev. Shantae is good example of a succesfull Kickstarter.

June 24, 2017 at 10:24 am

I wouldn’t classify Shantae in the same category as the nostalgic Kickstarters since they have been consistently releasing games, but I do agree that it depends on the dev. Overall I have a problem with how the system is set up.

17. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    June 24, 2017 at 11:24 am

The system is crap but it allowed stuff like Darkest Dungeon to be made.Also,Banner Saga.

18. EroBotan
    EroBotan
    June 24, 2017 at 12:55 pm

it’s kotaku, fake journalists with no sense of humor ^^

19. GameZard
    GameZard
    June 24, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Hover was one of the most incompetent kickstarter I ever supported. Hell it took me months to even get my steam key. And to get my steam key I had to create a Facebook profile. Fuck them.

20. GameZard
    GameZard
    June 24, 2017 at 5:05 pm

May as well cancel the vita port just like the wii u port.

21. すろぉもぉしょん
    すろぉもぉしょん
    June 25, 2017 at 9:52 am

All the 3D shit in it looks horrible. What happened to this game?

22. RPG
    RPG
    June 25, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Although the demo was clearly rough around the edges, and represented an early stage of development, I liked it overall. Hopefully the game gets tweaked properly to iron out the kinks, and will end up being a great, polished product. This is one of only two games I have, and probably ever will back via kickstarter, the other being Shenmue 3.

Fingers crossed.

23. malbhet
    malbhet
    June 26, 2017 at 10:38 am

Just gonna point out that the massive competition between game devs during the SNES era was what made the SNES console one of, if not thee, greatest console to ever exist. That system had every developer making games on it and everyone had, at the very least, that one game that influenced their life in some way as they grew up, my 4 selections are Secret of Mana, A Link to the past, FFVI/III in the states and Act Raiser.

24. malbhet
    malbhet
    June 26, 2017 at 10:47 am

Not completely, Konami, to this very day, is influencing a famous medical insurance company, a lot of Japanese devs use, to block all past Exkons (Ex Konami employees) from getting medical insurance for themselves and their employees, like their latest victim Hideo Kojima productions. Jim Sterling just brought this up recently.
    Konami is literally run by the devil himself tbh, Konami’s upper management are huge @ssholes to the very core of their being.

25. Kainevil Rc
    Kainevil Rc
    June 26, 2017 at 10:49 am

Hahaha, already looks better than the finished product of Mighty No. Fiasco. This team isn’t made of amateurs like some unknown doujin circle. They even have the original music composer of Castlevania Games.

26. anon9370
    anon9370
    June 27, 2017 at 8:18 am

The game is being developed by the exact same company, Inticreates.

27. Kainevil Rc
    Kainevil Rc
    June 27, 2017 at 10:50 pm

That doesn’t mean anything. They are the developers, not the directors/music composers. That isn’t the only game they have worked on. Arc System Works made an awesome job with Unreal Engine 4 and Guilty Gear Xrd Series and the new Dragon Ball FighterZ game.

28. Kainevil Rc
    Kainevil Rc
    June 29, 2017 at 10:39 pm

They are like the mafia of Japanese Videogame Industry.

29. KanjiLikesBoys
    KanjiLikesBoys
    July 6, 2017 at 5:32 pm

how many pairs of boots is that main character wearing?