Square Enix Further Teases an Improved Final Fantasy XV on PC

During this year’s Game Developer’s Conference, Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata might have further confirmed a PC version for the game.

Tabata revealed (via PCGamesn) a “technical experiment” (featured above) conducted with Nvidia involving the Luminous Studio engine on the recently announced GTX 1080Ti. Using Final Fantasy XV as a base, the demo showed off improved procedural generation, better AI, and environment destruction.

When pressed as to whether or not this meant a PC version of the game was coming, Tabata said “No comment” with a smile. He was asked what viewers were just shown in the demonstration, to which he said “Hmm, tech tests.”

While this isn’t a confirmation of a PC version of Final Fantasy XV, Tabata previously teased a PC version of the game, emphasizing that both he and the team want to showcase the game running on high end PCs, and even allow for modding.

Final Fantasy XV is available now on PS4 and Xbox One. In case you missed it, you should check out our written and video review for the game here.

Matthew Sigler

Currently interning at Niche Gamer. I've been playing video games since I was three years old.

1. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    March 1, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Rather have that Star Ocean 6 port they teased.

2. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    March 1, 2017 at 4:04 pm

It’s been unofficially confirmed for a while now in my book.

3. OSad
    OSad
    March 1, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Oh Tabata, you cocktease, just follow your dreams and announce it already. I know you want to see your boys modded into mariachi costumes just like I do, don’t lie to me.

4. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    March 1, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Switch port or nothing.

5. Zack
    Zack
    March 1, 2017 at 5:03 pm

You’ll be getting nothing then.

6. Zack
    Zack
    March 1, 2017 at 5:06 pm

I’m hoping the PC port won’t have insane requirements (I’m only rocking a 970 from last gen). Guess I’ll stick with my PS4 copy. I have no intention of upgrading my PC. At least, not until AMD reveals its latest GPU lineup.

7. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    March 1, 2017 at 5:09 pm

No, Square will get nothing.

You can’t continue to ignore the platform for JRPGs.

8. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    March 1, 2017 at 5:10 pm

But they’re not ignoring the PS4.

9. OSad
    OSad
    March 1, 2017 at 5:19 pm

A 970 is pretty comparable to what the PS4 Pro is packing so you’re probably more than fine on that front already.

The RX480 is about neck and neck with a 970, with the 970 having the clear edge on lower resolutions, and the 480 edging it out at ultra-high resolutions.

In short, unless they really bungle it up, I wouldn’t worry.

10. OSad
    OSad
    March 1, 2017 at 5:20 pm

They’re not ignoring the PC either but I think that in Travis’ head, the only platform out on the market is Nintendo’s platform.

11. The Clansman
    The Clansman
    March 1, 2017 at 5:23 pm

>JRPG

This is a crappy action game, why bother.

12. Jigsy
    Jigsy
    March 1, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I own the PS4 version, but, I look forward to the nude mods of Cidney, Iris and Gentiana.

13. 2501
    2501
    March 1, 2017 at 6:02 pm

i have a 970 too and i personally haven’t suffered any performance issues with high demanding games so far, i’m sure it will run FFXV no problem.

14. Jack Thompson
    Jack Thompson
    March 1, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Wait, there’s another one? After the shit show that was SOV?

15. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    March 1, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I regret buying this on launch day, doesn’t matter if they port it to the Commodore 64 the game is still shit on every level it could possibly be shit on except for graphics and presentation.

In my humble opinion of course, in case that needed clarification.

16. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    March 1, 2017 at 7:23 pm

The platform for JRPGs is a platform that isn’t even out yet? Last I checked, even the PSV has more JRPGs than the Switch will have on the first year~.

17. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 1, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Squeenix has been consistently releasing all their Final Faggotry series on the PC. You would have to be crazy to believe this is not coming to PC. Why were they silent about it, then? Simple: to make you think the inferior version will be the only one out, so you can buy it and later, buy the improved one as well.

Squeenix always strikes twice (at your wallet).

18. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    March 1, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Good. The more major JRPGs on PC the better the culture of PC gaming will get because of it.

19. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    March 1, 2017 at 8:28 pm

“You can’t continue to ignore the platform for JRPGs.”

I mean… you can…

Frankly the majority of devs who make JRPGs have been ignoring Nintendo home consoles largely since the N64.

20. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    March 1, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Nintendo home consoles have been ignored largely by the JRPG genre since the N64.

21. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    March 1, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Right? Like, leave Star Ocean alone at this point. They’ve clearly lost the magic that made the series good.

22. ChaosBahamut
    ChaosBahamut
    March 1, 2017 at 9:01 pm

He’s probably ordered not to reveal it yet by his higher ups, who may be paid by Sony and MS to not talk about a PC version for a while.

(that’s just one of many hypothetical theories, don’t take it seriously)

23. Bret Hart
    Bret Hart
    March 1, 2017 at 9:57 pm

A polished turd is still a turd.

24. Ruggarell
    Ruggarell
    March 1, 2017 at 10:11 pm

FFXV is so garbage people waited 10 years for this shit?

25. GameZard
    GameZard
    March 1, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Hopefully it will be completed when it comes to PC.

26. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    March 1, 2017 at 11:24 pm

The last Nintendo console to be considered THE platform for JRPGs was the SNES, so where are you getting this nonsense?

Or did you somehow not notice the lack of mainline Final Fantasy titles on their systems since then? No, 8/16-bit console ports don’t count.

27. 3rdStrike_Ebi
    3rdStrike_Ebi
    March 2, 2017 at 3:37 am

Man, remember when AMD made those pro-GamerGate ads but didn’t comment on them just to be sneaky fuckers? I tell ya what, when I build my first ever PC, I’m going to them first.

28. PvP4FFXV
    PvP4FFXV
    March 2, 2017 at 7:48 am

PC version with mod support will be the ultimate. Hopefully the modding has no limits.

29. Sephyr ArtCore
    Sephyr ArtCore
    March 2, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Well then, move on :)

30. Jack Thompson
    Jack Thompson
    March 3, 2017 at 9:13 am

Wait, I think they meant the Star Ocean 3 port that’s coming to PS4.

31. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 3, 2017 at 11:09 am

I really wanna build an AMD machine, too, but I’m still waiting for AMD’s response to the 1070 and more importantly, 1080 GPUs. I can’t justify going from an 780ti to a 480RX. I want impressive gains.

32. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    March 4, 2017 at 1:22 am

I’m sure it will look amazing – but the game sucks.

33. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    March 4, 2017 at 1:24 am

The game is just awful, and pretty visuals will not save it.

34. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    March 4, 2017 at 1:28 am

Square Enix aren’t even ignoring the Nintendo Switch – they are just developing games that the system is actually capable of handling like Octopath Traveler and I am Setsuna.

35. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    March 4, 2017 at 1:30 am

I feel bad for buying it and supporting SE’s mediocrity.

36. OSad
    OSad
    March 4, 2017 at 5:21 am

If you want impressive gains, I wouldn’t put my eggs on AMD’s basket. Not saying they don’t make good GPU’s, I recommend the RX480 to pretty much all of my friends as a 1080p killer and solid 4k entry card, if you’re willing to stomach a locked 30fps at such extreme resolutions.

AMD seems content with being the “people’s champion” when it comes to affordable GPU’s nowadays though. The 1060 is out but the performance gains at Full HD don’t justify purchasing that over an aftermarket RX480 (you’re still playing pretty much everything at above 60fps), and an RX470 is about as low as I’d recommend anybody go for a budget PC build, as the performance starts to get sketchy around that region. There is pretty much no reason to recommend an RX460 or GeForce 1050 to anybody, when you can spend a bit more and get a better product. At this range, you’re already sacrificing graphical options to hold that 60fps target.

Meanwhile, GeForce has the excellent 1070, overkill 1080 (I have one of those, it easily runs anything at 1440p at a locked 60, and quite a few games at 4k at a locked 60, which is quite impressive), and they’re set to release the very impressive 1080ti, which, if marketing is to be believed, is 35% faster than the existing 1080’s. That sounds like a card you could have in a system for more than half a decade, easily and comfortably.

While Nvidia is killing the high-end market, AMD is just… silent on that front. Focused on the RYZEN launches, which seem like quite the capable powerhouses at least. They have the Radeon Pro Duo but it seems geared for 3D creative applications and not gaming, more like a Quadro in that regard.

I might sound like a bit of a fanboy, but just get a 1070. That card is excellent, will get you your gains and serve you well for years to come. Or wait for a 1070ti, that’s bound to have performance well north of the 1080’s stock numbers. Whatever you do, don’t get a 1080 or a Titan XP, you will pay out the ass like I have and it’s complete overkill if you don’t have a 4k monitor.

37. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    March 4, 2017 at 9:43 pm

The thing is I have an “Nvidia gaming PC” right now (i5 + 780ti), and I planned on making an AMD one for 2 reasons:

1- I have a freesync monitor, so I might as well make use of that advantage;
    2- I would like to have an AMD and a Nvidia gaming PC so that I might be able to play a game on my secondary PC if the release is completely shit on either of them. I don’t discard investing in a 1070 for this PC afterwards just to keep it more on par (and then I can send this GPU to my other PC that has a modest 8320 + 660).

However, if the next AMD GPUs cant handle 4k, then I might have to go Nvidia again, since I will likely change to a 4k TV after this upgrade.