Rumor: Shenmue 1+2 HD Remasters Coming Sometime in 2017

A new rumor is making the rounds concerning Sega possibly making high definition remasters for both Shenmue and Shenmue II.

The new rumor comes via Rice Digital, who have what they claim is a “a trusted source close to Atlus USA” confirming the company is working on remastering both games.

This source claims both games might be released together as an HD package, and are probably being readied in preparation for Shenmue III. Further details weren’t confirmed, however Rice Digital was told a PC / Steam release is expected, with no mention of other platforms.

It’s worth mentioning Rice Digital previously broke embargo on Atlus publishing The King of Fighters XIV in the west, days before the official announcement.

This new rumor adds credence to the new Shenmue website domains that Sega registered back in January of this year. The company also said they were looking into how to properly remaster the games earlier in 2016.

The long-awaited sequel, Shenmue III, is currently in development for PC and PlayStation 4, and is set for a release sometime in December of this year.

1. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    February 25, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Long overdue if true.

2. RichardGristle
    RichardGristle
    February 25, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Well what’s the hold up? Sometimes I swear Japanese businessmen are the absolute worst at their jobs. Shenmue I & II HD = free money..Yakuza and Miku on Steam = free money. Stop with that awful Sonic character and push your other franchises. More Valkyria. More Shining on other platforms.

3. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    February 25, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Great news if true. Hopefully there’s even a physical release.

4. Himegami Aisa
    Himegami Aisa
    February 25, 2017 at 7:31 pm

I don’t know why you’re not leading Sony instead with such incredible business advice as “make more games in franchises I like” and “port your games to my system of choice”.

5. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 25, 2017 at 7:47 pm

I’d buy it. I never got to play the Shenmue games and I heard they were really good.

February 25, 2017 at 7:51 pm

If true that wouldn’t be too surprising. It’d safe to assume that the remaster will be on the same platforms as Shenmue 3 to provide context.

7. RichardGristle
    RichardGristle
    February 25, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Sony is most certainly included in “awful Japanese business decisions”. Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Konami, Capcom, the fucking list goes on for miles.

Meanwhile, you got companies like nu-Blizzard, Ubisoft, and EA in the West making ridiculous money peddling their trash. Why? Not because they make good games, but because they’re intelligent about it.

8. Himegami Aisa
    Himegami Aisa
    February 25, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Yeah I meant to say Sega. For all the supposedly terrible decisions these companies make none of them are haemorrhaging money to my knowledge at the moment. My point is that every fanboy who screams that X company could be making a mint if only they made business decisions I’d like them to do is making a fool out of themself, being as their advice is nakedly biased.

9. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    February 25, 2017 at 8:22 pm

I see…

10. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 25, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Well Sony had made a lot of really terrible decisions lately so it’s not surprising.

11. Lucky
    Lucky
    February 25, 2017 at 8:52 pm

You have to be joking with Shining. As far as I can tell, there’s like no demand for the (modern incarnations) of those games.

12. Feniks
    Feniks
    February 25, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Cool. I thought these games were definitively in copyright/licensing limbo. Never did finish Shenmue 2 on the xbox back in the day. Motherfucking QTE.

13. Anon_Amous
    Anon_Amous
    February 25, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Knew this would happen. They’ll want to get people who missed the originals familiar before Shenmue 3 is out.

Wanna try a game of Lucky Hit?

14. Ruggarell
    Ruggarell
    February 26, 2017 at 1:29 am

PS4 wins again.

15. AuraMaster DX (austin9568)
    AuraMaster DX (austin9568)
    February 26, 2017 at 1:43 am

Surprisingly true statement

16. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    February 26, 2017 at 5:11 am

Doesn’t exactly help we haven’t seen Shining game for over a decade in the west. And no that shitty fighter doesn’t count.

17. Verus
    Verus
    February 26, 2017 at 6:33 am

most of us obviously saw it coming with the domain registration, but took em long enough, it’s a drag hooking up the dreamcast to replay em. i’m glad either way.

18. Jumanji Joe
    Jumanji Joe
    February 26, 2017 at 8:34 am

If you’ve ever worked with Japanese bussiness men you’ll know that they are the most stubborn, pig headed, know it all type of people to deal with. It’s even worse if you’re not a nip yourself because they’ll do anything to show you up even if it means lost profit. I’m not surprised by anything that’s going on in the Japanese video game market anymore.

19. Nagato
    Nagato
    February 26, 2017 at 9:07 am

Assuming there’ll be actual hype for it, I’d argue it’d be smart to put these on Xbox and Switch as well. Shouldn’t cost them much no matter anyway.

20. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    February 26, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Took you long enough! I just hope the PC port is good. I’m not sure if this is a sound business decision, though. The Shenmue games have very dated gameplay for today’s standards. People playing it who never played Shenmue before might get a lot of preconceptions about what Shenmue 3 will be like, and might avoid it entirely. Perhaps it would have been better to release it a year after the 3rd game has been released (from a business perspective).

21. 2501
    2501
    February 26, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I’ll believe it when i see it. It’s been hinted that the big reason why Shenmue hasn’t had a re-release is because of copyright issues.

22. catazxy
    catazxy
    February 26, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Well, I expect it to come out with some companies (from the vending machine and everything) removed or in bootleg form.

23. 2501
    2501
    February 26, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Yeah but with that approach, you just know a bunch of weebs are gonna cry censorship over it.

I’m sure Sega will find a way, even Nintendo managed to re-release Earthbound with all it’s Beatles references.

24. Dale Frewaldt
    Dale Frewaldt
    February 26, 2017 at 10:25 pm

They’re due just in time for a lengthy delay to the launch window of Shenmue III.

25. VLOCKUP
    VLOCKUP
    February 26, 2017 at 10:31 pm

-however Rice Digital was told a PC / Steam release is expected
    -as expected
    -is currently in development for PC and PlayStation 4

26. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    February 27, 2017 at 10:06 am

Except, if a franchise has massive fan support and a remaster is significantly less work than making a new game, it’s silly not to do it.

27. catazxy
    catazxy
    February 27, 2017 at 10:47 am

Well, if they explain that they did it because of trademarks and copyright stuff, along with something extra (if they can, some extra costumes or something), I doubt anyone will complain.

28. scemar
    scemar
    February 27, 2017 at 1:59 pm

if they don’t do it, and also have it on PC, they’re idiots and I won’t even feel sorry for them