PlayStation Now Drops Support for all Devices Except PS4 and PC

If you’re a PS3 or PS Vita owner subscribing to PlayStation Now, you may want to reconsider.

On the official PlayStation Blog, Sony has announced that they are ending support for PlayStation Now on all devices except PS4 and PC. This includes the PS3, PS Vita, Sony Blu-Rays, Sony Bravia TVs, and even Samsung TVs. As for why, Senior Marketing Manager for PlayStation Now, Brian Dunn, says:

After thoughtful consideration, we decided to shift our focus and resources to PS4 and Windows PC to further develop and improve the user experience on these two devices. This move puts us in the best position to grow the service even further. If you use any of the above devices, we want to give our heartfelt thanks for your support, and we hope you’ll continue with us. Remember that all of your PS Now cloud game saves can easily be accessed on both PS4 and Windows PC.

Service will end April 1st for 2016 Bravia TVs, while all other devices will have their service end August 15th.

Matthew Sigler

Currently interning at Niche Gamer. I've been playing video games since I was three years old.

February 16, 2017 at 10:04 am

As see this as a good thing. Streaming games is a terrible business model and one step further into the horrible digital only future.

2. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    February 16, 2017 at 10:09 am

Sony really wants PS Now to be the future.

I’ve always said that this was their ‘real’ next gen platform and it has been nothing but a disaster right out of the gate.

3. Nagato
    Nagato
    February 16, 2017 at 10:10 am

Digital distribution may be the future, but streaming is a god awful abomination that deserves to be forever chained in Konami’s dungeon.

The most bizarre thing here though is that they’re dropping support for the devices that actually would’ve “benefited” the most from this, namely the ones where you weren’t required to buy dedicated hardware in the form of a PC or plastic gaming box.

4. Dr.Weird
    Dr.Weird
    February 16, 2017 at 10:16 am

if it doesn’t have an ethernet port it’s not exactly going to do well with the streaming model anyway, I use ps now on my pc and ps4 all the time and before I got an ethernet cable for the ps4 it was utter garbage for it, so I actually support this but not for their stated reasoning.

5. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    February 16, 2017 at 11:59 am

Any news that delivers a good, swift kick in the nuts to streaming services is great IMO.

6. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    February 16, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Streaming may be a good thing in the grim darkness of the dar future, but until we have a tech breakthrough that allows us to have the same latency over long distance internet connections that we have on lan – or at the very least amazingly fast and unlimited mobile internet – then it’s something no one really wants.

I’m pretty sure there are more people into local streaming (like from their console to their handheld, phone, tablet etc) than internet streaming of games.

7. AT-LOW
    AT-LOW
    February 16, 2017 at 5:59 pm

April 1 2017*** You wrote 2016

8. AT-LOW
    AT-LOW
    February 16, 2017 at 6:00 pm

aayyy you’re still around buddy. To be honest I cant work out why since everyone used to shit on your retarded nintendo opinions

9. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    February 16, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Used to?

Anyway, I’m not going anywhere. Someone needs to put you fanboys in their place.

10. OSad
    OSad
    February 16, 2017 at 7:10 pm

The idea never seemed too bad to me, especially in this case. Pay twenty bucks to stream some console exclusives to your computer for a month.

Yeah sure, you’re mostly reliant on server locations and your internet speed, and the games list is not complete with all the games available on the system, but it sure beats the hell out of paying up front for a console, just for a couple of games you might be interested in trying out.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t get all the disdain for streaming services. I’d gladly pay 20 bucks to play games like Catherine, Katamari, Red Dead Redemption, and basically anything I haven’t had a chance to play because it’s still bound to a console.

11. Himegami Aisa
    Himegami Aisa
    February 16, 2017 at 8:32 pm

>you fanboys
    Never change, Travis.

February 17, 2017 at 8:13 am

Digital distribution is not much different than streaming games – you still don’t own what you bought.

Also no need to exclude PC from the “plastic gaming box” category.

13. Ruggarell
    Ruggarell
    February 17, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I really enjoyed the 2 months I had subscribed to it at the time. Overall it’s cheaper to just buy a 3.55 PS3 mod it and download any PS3 game you want.

14. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    February 17, 2017 at 4:45 pm

At least with digital you still have some services like GOG, where you can back up all your games to external drives or DVDs (depending on size, obviously).

February 17, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Still not true ownership. With digital releases you only get a licence to play the game.

16. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    February 17, 2017 at 4:49 pm

True enough, but it sure as shit beats streaming.