Fire Emblem Echoes Announced for 3DS

In a surprise move by Nintendo, a new game in the Fire Emblem series for Nintendo 3DS, titled Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

This game is a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, the second game in the series released only in Japan. Here’s a brief synopsis, via Nintendo:

In 1992, the second game in the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem Gaiden, launched exclusively in Japan. Now, for the first time, fans outside of Japan will get a taste of this classic game on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is inspired by the 1992 original, reimagined on a grander scale. Every aspect of the Fire Emblem Gaiden game’s presentation has been updated, along with the game being fully voiced. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia recreates classic Fire Emblem gameplay with a modern twist, mixing in exploration of dungeons crawling with enemies. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia will launch on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems May 19. Characters from the game, Alm and Celica, will be available as amiibo figures in a two-pack, also on May 19.

The game releases May 19th, along with a two pack of Amiibo of the game’s protagonists.

Matthew Sigler

Currently interning at Niche Gamer. I've been playing video games since I was three years old.

1. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    January 18, 2017 at 5:15 pm

If it gets an Englush release, I can’t wait to see how badly Treehouse censors the content and butchers the script.

……

Pickles.

2. Tristan (Chili1)
    Tristan (Chili1)
    January 18, 2017 at 5:26 pm

I dislike that it now uses 3D models for combat and moving around a particular area, but otherwise this looks pretty sweet. Here’s hoping they don’t cut any content or edit anything like they did Awakening and Fates.

3. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    January 18, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Don’t get your hopes too high.

4. Laytonaster
    Laytonaster
    January 18, 2017 at 5:35 pm

I was about to make that joke myself.

Anyone wanna start a betting pool?

5. Tuba
    Tuba
    January 18, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Yay, more Celica!

6. Maelstrom
    Maelstrom
    January 18, 2017 at 5:43 pm

This was the biggest surprise, and I’m honestly quite pleased. Maybe this means there could be a Jugdral remake in the works if this sells well…..

7. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 18, 2017 at 5:53 pm

The first thing I’m expecting to be cut is the Japanese audio in some way. It is full voice Japanese and it seems they haven’t gotten far in translating the game.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the west only got sound bytes in English like Awakening.

The Japanese Direct explicitly highlights full voice while the English one doesn’t have a dub or translated assets for the console and portable games.

8. CrabCombat
    CrabCombat
    January 18, 2017 at 5:55 pm

There was a (tiny) notice in the European Direct that said it’ll have English voices only. Don’t know if it said the same on the US one or not.

9. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 18, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Really, I should get some time stamps up.

The timestamp for full audio not being mentioned in the American direct is 4:50 and onwards – it just mentions Studio Khara and not much else.

The Japanese timestamp is 4:58 – mentions full voice.

I’m not usually bothered to watch three directs so I’d be happy if you let me where to look.

10. Sean Sharpe
    Sean Sharpe
    January 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm

A modern Fire Emblem game that doesn’t seem to focus on that waifu bullshit that Fates seemed to double down on? Day one buy, if they release a physical version.

EDIT: Aware it’s a remake, but still. Expected them to use the modern art-style for character portraits..

11. Michael Richardson
    Michael Richardson
    January 18, 2017 at 6:12 pm

They seem to be planning on it. There is already box art being shown off in articles about it.

12. Michael Richardson
    Michael Richardson
    January 18, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Looks fantastic. I’m ready for a more traditional FE game.

13. Lucky
    Lucky
    January 18, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Isn’t that the third remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden now?

14. Sean Sharpe
    Sean Sharpe
    January 18, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Since it doesn’t seem to be a Waifu Emblem game, what will it have to censor? :p

15. JuVu
    JuVu
    January 18, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Fucking hell, that’s one strike. Really hoping there won’t be any more, but I’m not too hopeful after the Fates fiasco.

What the hell is their problem with including dual audio nowadays? Awakening had it and it was great.

16. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 18, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Illustrations, cutscenes and dialogue? I still saw things in the Echoes trailer which was cut from other games (not so much FE specifically).

I’m honestly convinced that it doesn’t really matter to them whether it is a Waifu one or not.

17. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 18, 2017 at 6:32 pm

The 3D models for wandering seems like a natural progression from My Castle to me and we still have sprites in menus, world map and combat maps.

18. tBanzai
    tBanzai
    January 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Makes it more obvious when they fuck around with the script like they did in Fates.

19. Deathtone
    Deathtone
    January 18, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Hope it gets a physical release

20. CRES
    CRES
    January 18, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Nope. Mystery of the Emblem did not contain Gaiden. The second book in Mystery of the Emblem was an original story following Marth at the end of Shadow Dragon.

21. Lucky
    Lucky
    January 18, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Edit: Just reread what you said.

So is this the second remake or is the DS one also based on the original story?

22. Sean Sharpe
    Sean Sharpe
    January 18, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I have a little more faith overall… Although it could be because we’re getting a Fire Emblem game, even if its a remake, that isn’t Waifu Emblem like Awakenings/Fate.

23. Eugenio Gil de la Madrid
    Eugenio Gil de la Madrid
    January 18, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Let’s hope it’s not censored but knowing Nintendo of America it probably will be. I’ll only buy it if NoA doesn’t ruin the localization

24. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 18, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Can’t wait for this game to come out and be another hit. :)

25. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    January 18, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Physical copies are already up for pre-order.

January 18, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Will it have casual mode? I like to do an easy play through and then a tougher play through.

27. Daryl Corey
    Daryl Corey
    January 18, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I have said it before I will say it again someone needs to just take one for the team and murder the Tree house localizers

28. 真・女神転生
    真・女神転生
    January 19, 2017 at 1:38 am

Are they gonna add waifu trash in this as well?

29. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 19, 2017 at 1:57 am

It probably won’t do as well as the prior 3DS games, though it is basically taking the place of PKMN Black and White 2 for the DS which released after the 3DS came out.

Easy money.

30. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 19, 2017 at 2:02 am

We are only assuming that because it is a remake of a game which predates children and since it has another artist that it doesn’t have Waifu Emblem elements.

I concede that I didn’t see Pair Up and do think that writing and voicing Japanese dialogue for an entire game with C-S/A pairings for everyone seems expensive but I’m just more willing to be pessimistic and surprised at them overdelivering.

We will know in the next 2 months about the Japanese game at least.

31. Sean Sharpe
    Sean Sharpe
    January 19, 2017 at 4:07 am

That’s understandable.

Me? I’m just happy it doesn’t seem to be a “modern Fire Emblem” game. Mind you, if it ends up seemingly being the same thing as the last two I’m not going to pick it up whether its completely uncensored or not… ’cause I really don’t like modern Fire Emblem.

32. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    January 19, 2017 at 7:29 am

Well, I agree, actually, but that doesn’t mean the game will do badly either.

33. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    January 19, 2017 at 8:03 am

More incentive to get around to hacking my 3DS, it seems, which I really don’t want to do, since, as the game’s currently looking, there won’t be any of the things in Awakening/Fates that I have issues with.

If Treehouse doesn’t fuck it up, however, I may overlook it.

34. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    January 19, 2017 at 11:11 am

I’m pretty sure this is the first remake of Gaiden.

35. alterku
    alterku
    January 19, 2017 at 11:55 am

Skipped the last one because the translation was garbage and the censorship made me nauseous. Could and will easily do that again.

36. CRES
    CRES
    January 19, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Okay, here’s how it goes. The very FIRST Fire Emblem game was on the Famicom (The Japanese version of the NES) and starred Marth. It’s Japanese name roughly translates to “The Dragon of Darkness and the Sword of Light.”

Fire Emblem Gaiden was released afterwards and while taking place in the same world, it’s story is completely unrelated to the first game (taking place on and entirely different continent).

Then came “Mystery of the Emblem” which was on the Super Famicom (SNES) which was split into two “Books.” The First Book was a complete remake of “Dragon of Darkness and Sword of Light,” while the Second book was a completely new story following Marth after the conclusion of the first game.

And now we get to the remakes. First is Shadow Dragon for the DS, which is a complete remake of the original “The Dragon of Darkness and the Sword of Light.” After that was “New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow” which was a remake of “Book 2” of Mystery of the Emblem. Echoes, on the other hand, is a remake of Gaiden.

So in summery, the original game has been remade twice, Mystery of the Emblem once, and this is the first remake of Gaiden.

37. Lucky