Tokyo Xanadu on PS Vita Heads West This Summer, Tokyo Xanadu eX+ on PC and PS4 This Fall

Aksys Games has announced the release window for the western release of Tokyo Xanadu.

The game will release at both retail and the PlayStation Store sometime this summer in North America and Europe, followed by Tokyo Xanadu EX+ sometime this fall in North America and this winter in Europe, on PlayStation 4 at retail and the PS Store. A digital-only release for Tokyo Xanadu EX+ is also planned.

It’s worth pointing out that Tokyo Xanadu EX+ is an enhanced version of Tokyo Xanadu.

The game is getting limited editions in both regions, and they include:

Tokyo Xanadu Limited Edition

• Tokyo Xanadu Physical Copy (Vita)
  • 5″ Deluxe Morimaru Plush
  • Blade Card Game Deck
  • 60 page Art Book
  • CD Soundtrack
  • Collector’s Box

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Limited Edition

• Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Physical Copy (PS4)
  • 9″ Deluxe White Shroud Statue
  • Blade Card Game Deck
  • 60 page Art Book
  • CD Soundtrack
  • Collector’s Box
, , ,

1. Tristan (Chili1)
    Tristan (Chili1)
    January 17, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I hope they put the art book and soundtrack digitally on Steam for PC gamers who might want some of these goodies.

January 17, 2017 at 2:53 pm

That’s a rather strange release schedule. I don’t know if they expect people who buy it on the Vita to possibly double dip.

3. Jigsy
    Jigsy
    January 17, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Weren’t they censoring it or something?

4. Sean Sharpe
    Sean Sharpe
    January 17, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Did I like… Totally miss the EX+ announcement? I know they were going to do the Vita version but I didn’t remember the other.

5. Tristan (Chili1)
    Tristan (Chili1)
    January 17, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Not at all. At least, there is no censorship known to be done to this title as of now, anyways.

6. Derp Minos
    Derp Minos
    January 17, 2017 at 4:28 pm

>Aksys
    >censoring games
    ??? Say Hello to the only uncut version of Agarest Wars 2 in the west.

7. Derp Minos
    Derp Minos
    January 17, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Not mentioned here but the game has jap audios too.

8. Tristan (Chili1)
    Tristan (Chili1)
    January 17, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Does it have English audio though? NEED DUAL AUDIO

9. Uchiha_Itachi
    Uchiha_Itachi
    January 17, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I’m double dipping :)

10. Feniks
    Feniks
    January 17, 2017 at 5:17 pm

I always feel bad for the Japanese who have to pay for the game twice. Why not make the “enhanced edition” right away? Now you have to wonder every time if next year the game you just bought gets a better version.

11. Nagato
    Nagato
    January 17, 2017 at 5:31 pm

This here is it; there’s been some winks on Twitter to those who asked in the last month(s) or so, so I assume Aksys only recently managed to finalize signing on the EX+ version as well.

Either way, good on them for doing everything right from the get go:

-Total transparency from the get go: no attempting to fuck customers over by hiding the updated version, which everyone “knows” would come eventually anyway
    -PC version changed to the updated one, releasing day and date with the PS4 game

I think I’ll reward this kind of pro-consumer behaviour with a day one purchase; was planning to do so with Berseria, but then the censorship debacle hit.

12. Derp Minos
    Derp Minos
    January 17, 2017 at 6:33 pm

>Aksys
    >English audios
    Hehehehehe.

13. Zero Eternity
    Zero Eternity
    January 17, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Lmao the Vita gets shafted.

14. Etherblaze
    Etherblaze
    January 17, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Definitely looking forward to it. Falcom’s games are amazing.

15. James Hewitson
    James Hewitson
    January 17, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Please don’t be that guy mate, just buy the + edition like everyone else who wants it should. It’s superior on PC/PS4 anyway, unless you REALLY must have it on the Vita lol.

16. James Hewitson
    James Hewitson
    January 17, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Winter for Europe/Australia? sigh really?

17. Eldhin Hellknight
    Eldhin Hellknight
    January 17, 2017 at 10:45 pm

This is aksys not ghostlight

18. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    January 17, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Not to mention Berseria has Denuvo.

January 18, 2017 at 1:30 am

Cool guess I’ll wait till fall, that stormtrooper/klansman figure looks cool.

20. TylorW
    TylorW
    January 18, 2017 at 2:14 am

Just so people know from the get-go:

I guess I’m sorta surprised that this is the case considering Falcom’s record with past games, but I’m not too upset over this. The main problem for me personally is that I’ve grown accustomed to Dubs and games since forever, and while I’m trying to get used to this trend, it’s hard sometimes.

Especially in this case, where it’s a JRPG that probably has a ton of voiced dialogue, it’s harder for me to hear dialogue outside of Dubs over an extended period of time. Again, it’s a growing pain of mine that I hopefully can get used to (Digimon: Cyber Sleuth is a stepping stone in this path), because I would like to give this game a shot, and hopefully enjoy it in its fullest despite the lack of Dubs.

21. EroBotan
    EroBotan
    January 18, 2017 at 2:50 am

probably not enough money? so they have to sell something first to be able to make the enhanced edition .. just a guess though..

22. NeoStrayCat
    NeoStrayCat
    January 18, 2017 at 3:43 am

I think that was an error somewhere, its still up for release the same time as the NA/US version.

23. NeoStrayCat
    NeoStrayCat
    January 18, 2017 at 3:44 am

That’s not much of an answer.

But either way, the game is JP audio only, no English voices, since it was always JP audio to begin with.

24. XERW
    XERW
    January 18, 2017 at 10:43 am

Falcom + JP Voices

I CALL BULLSHIT ON THAT MY GOOD LAD!!!

25. XERW
    XERW
    January 18, 2017 at 10:45 am

Trails of Cold Steel series beg to differ.

I bought the JP and EN version and transplanted the JP audio via the data.psarc

26. Derp Minos
    Derp Minos
    January 18, 2017 at 10:48 am

Well they confirmed now that it is Jap dubs only. It shows yet again that XSEED is just unwilling to provide Jap dubs when another company get them easily despite never working with Falcom before. Really makes you think.

27. XERW
    XERW
    January 18, 2017 at 10:48 am

I’m on the sub side but I know that pain. Personally I just grin and bear it, should it became unbearable – drop the voice setting to 0.

More options are always preferable but sadly Falcom didn’t have the scale for that outside the Trails… AFAIK

28. XERW
    XERW
    January 18, 2017 at 10:49 am

Still pretty great for on-the-go RPG fix but yeah.

Even a $200 chinese phone have more processing power than the Vita, even more with Vulkan.

29. XERW
    XERW
    January 18, 2017 at 10:50 am

And someone already made her his/her icon!

Ditto on that, moar Falcom are always nice. Here’s hoping it’ll be the start of JP audio inclusion on all Falcom releases stateside.

30. XERW
    XERW
    January 18, 2017 at 10:51 am

Now where the heck is that PC hating twat? I want to taste its tears.

31. Derp Minos
    Derp Minos
    January 18, 2017 at 11:05 am

It’s more like XSEED hates Japanese audios and Aksys hates English dubs. If you look at their records, you’ll notice Aksys releases are generally JP audios only, rarely English+JP audios.

As for XSEED it’s the opposite. Most of their releases are English audios only, very few are dual audios, very few are JP audios only (mostly obvious super niche games). Not to mention Hatsuu seems to really really love English dubs, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s the one who veto JP audios for the western releases for the Trails series. You wouldn’t believe how proud she is of their games dubs and how she loves them. It’s pretty obvious to me there’s a big bias toward English audios and that they’re hating on JP dubs.
    Will be proven further once Joyoland will release Ys Seven and Ys Celceta with Japanese dubs on Steam since it’s pretty obvious they’re considering it.

32. Uchiha_Itachi
    Uchiha_Itachi
    January 18, 2017 at 11:16 am

I don’t get much time playing games so I play on my vita often

33. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    January 18, 2017 at 12:18 pm

What are you even talking about, many Xseed games have JP voices, it’s just that some JP voice acting agencies (like the one(s) Falcom seems to use) require you to pay high fees for using their VA’s outside japan, maybe Aksys was willing to pay that or this game doesn’t has those VA’s.

34. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    January 18, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Awesome, I’m waiting for the PS4 version, very happy to see it getting a retail release.

“A digital-only release for Tokyo Xanadu EX+ is also planned.”

Do you mean on PC?

35. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    January 18, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Huh? The Vita version comes out sooner and even retail, how is that “getting shafted”?

36. Zero Eternity
    Zero Eternity
    January 18, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Hmm your right the Vita didn’t get Ex+ edition in Japan either so the Vita didn’t get screwed over outside japan like it normally does. My bad. Still sucks that it is seemingly too underpowered to handle the Ex+ edition. And don’t get me wrong I’m happy that the Vita is getting it at all and physical to boot, but it is like the guy said down below every consumer should want the Ex+ edition so how many would actually double tip or even just wait for the PS4 version. In the end I’m thankful for the Vita charity in this case.

37. Derp Minos
    Derp Minos
    January 18, 2017 at 3:28 pm

XSEED DEFENSE FORCE IS THERE!!! Explain why Aksys could get us JP audios then? Explain why literally over 70% of all games that XSEED localize are English dubs only?!

38. Etherblaze
    Etherblaze
    January 18, 2017 at 3:35 pm

This year is a good year. Trails in the Sky 3rd in Spring, Tokyo Xanadu eX+ in Fall, Ys 8 for PS4 hopefully later in the year. And in Japan, Trails of Cold Steel 3 is releasing in September. I want to learn more about it, but at the same time I want to avoid spoilers!

39. Alister
    Alister
    January 18, 2017 at 5:58 pm

It’s about goddamn fucking time this came to the West.

40. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    January 18, 2017 at 6:59 pm

As I said, it is possible that Aksys was willing to pay the fee or the TX VA’s aren’t ones that require it. Also no, most of the recent Xseed games have JP VA’s, it mostly the Falcom ones that don’t.
    Senran Kagura series, Akiba’s Trip, Onechanbara, Fate/Extella, and Nitroplus Blasterz all came at least with JP voices.

41. Derp Minos
    Derp Minos
    January 19, 2017 at 4:52 am

If you look at the wiki you’ll notice they’ve made lot of English dubs only games :(
    Also it’s not the first time XSEED fuck us over with dubs only. EDF games are dubs only on Vita/PS4 but dual audio on Steam…
    Same for Celceta and Ys Seven, it’s pretty much 99% confirmed we’re getting JP audios only on Steam once they get us the English translation. It’s not about JP audios being too hard to get, it’s just XSEED doesn’t want to get them and would rather dub the games. Only cases where they don’t is for super niche stuff.

42. Lynn Mooney
    Lynn Mooney
    January 23, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Interesting, I’ll check some trailers for Tokyo Xanadu eX+. :)