No Man’s Sky Designer Leaves to Work on Star Citizen

no-mans-sky-11-16-16-1

The only space simulator to probably eclipse No Man’s Sky in terms of hype and sheer ambition is easily Star Citizen, the insanely-funded MMORPG space simulator from Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games. Now, we’ve learned (via iDigital Times) the game’s lead designer has left the former to work on the latter.

The news comes via Gareth Bourn’s LinkedIn profile, in which he now lists himself as the former design lead on No Man’s Sky, only to now be currently working on Squadron 42 as the campaign developer within studio Foundry42, as of last month.

Prior to switching to the other side of the ultra-ambitious space simulator spectrum, Bourn spent six years at Hello Games, working on Joe Danger all the way to No Man’s Sky.

Both games have had equal numbers of problems, most notably feature creep – or in the case of No Man’s Sky a complete lack thereof. With the lead designer on the game departed, it’ll be curious to see how much of the game’s original vision will actually be realized.

, , , ,

1. Nocturnic Wolf
    Nocturnic Wolf
    November 16, 2016 at 11:44 am

Jump from a shit game, to another shit game

November 16, 2016 at 11:56 am

Well he went from working on a game that over promised a lot to a game that has no chance in hell of delivering everything they promised. Seems legit.

3. vonSanneck
    vonSanneck
    November 16, 2016 at 12:18 pm

This just gets better, doesn’t it?

4. Zufield
    Zufield
    November 16, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, that picture pretty much sums up both One Man’s Lies and Shekel Citizen in one fell swoop.

November 16, 2016 at 12:43 pm

It’s rock hard, too.

6. Donwel
    Donwel
    November 16, 2016 at 12:57 pm

So is this the “disgruntled employee” mentioned during the hacking thing a few weeks ago?

7. Lancer
    Lancer
    November 16, 2016 at 1:16 pm

No Man’s Sky failed to deliver, but Star Citizen is still in production. Why all the pre-release hate? Many AAA games take up to 10 years to release with no where near the depth of vision Roberts is reaching for. Give it 2 more years then judge.

8. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    November 16, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Dick mountain.

9. Jigsy
    Jigsy
    November 16, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Is that Knob Hill?

10. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    November 16, 2016 at 1:33 pm

If he’s like most game devs, he’s a Hillary supporting SJW…meaning his self awareness is absolute zero. I’ll just take this as confirmation.

11. Jigsy
    Jigsy
    November 16, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Not even an IMF bailout could save this game.

12. 2501
    2501
    November 16, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Because Star Citizen is a well-wishers game, Chris Roberts wants to create a extensive MMO Space sim game with a single player campaign and a team FPS mode etc – all with unique and defining features. You’re honestly gonna tell me that the game is not going to end up being an unfocused and bloated piece of vaporware? There’s a reason why Icarus had his wings burned.

13. OSad
    OSad
    November 16, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Because development started five years ago, since then the game has garnered 100 million dollars, and all they have to show for it is a very pretty, albeit very un-optimized sandbox demo, that only has a few ships to play with, some boring-ass station that you walk around and see a few places you can’t interact with at all, and that’s about it.

Sometimes there’s “freefly” where you get to play the builds for free for three days or so, but all that shows so far is the horrendous loading times (like, three to six minutes to load you into the actual game), and the absolute lack of content and optimization said builds have. And again, if development started in 2011, it’s been five years already! The Witcher 3 probably didn’t spend that much time in development and it is also a huge, complete game with actual things to do everywhere, just for comparison’s sake.

I don’t want to hate on the game, because I didn’t give it any money, and honestly space sims aren’t my thing at all. But christ, from the website to the pretty ship pictures with actual brochures the devs keep pumping out to try and sell people on 40+ dollar ships that don’t even have a 3D model yet in the game, to the very poor preview build they show every freefly, you wonder where all that money’s going.

The graphic designers and marketing team are surely eating like kings every evening though.

14. 1mirg
    1mirg
    November 16, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Shame though that it has mold on it.

15. lalorobot
    lalorobot
    November 16, 2016 at 3:06 pm

It adds taste

16. GameZard
    GameZard
    November 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm

So I guess No man sky is not going to continue development.

17. Tyrone Jackson
    Tyrone Jackson
    November 16, 2016 at 3:17 pm

This will either be a great or a terrible move for this guy, but either way it’s the toppest of keks.

18. Zero Eternity
    Zero Eternity
    November 16, 2016 at 3:20 pm

So watching Star Citizen’s release week should be interesting then.

19. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    November 16, 2016 at 3:27 pm

From one colossal flop to another. This guy has some curious decision making skills.

20. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    November 16, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I hope if this actually launches; people bully the 1k ship buyers.

21. OldPalpy
    OldPalpy
    November 16, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Here’s my plan for Making Hello Games Great Again:
    Make another Joe Danger

22. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    November 16, 2016 at 4:57 pm

The first sign of what’s to come.

That is, assuming Star Citizen actually comes out.

23. catazxy
    catazxy
    November 16, 2016 at 5:32 pm

From a shit game to a non existent game.

24. braneman
    braneman
    November 16, 2016 at 5:39 pm

OK just wanted to point something out, the Witcher 3 started out as the Witcher 3 it never was a linear 3rd person Diablo clone before it morphed into an open world RPG. That’s why things are taking so long things went from “I want to make a space game” to “I will make the ULTIMATE space game” then “I want to make the ultimate space game, FPS and MMO”

Notice I’m wording myself very carefully here and I never said “its going to be the best game ever, you’re wrong” so I’d like you to think for a sec if you make a reply to me.

25. Mr.Sixes
    Mr.Sixes
    November 16, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Actually the most notable MMOs took about this amount of time to go from announcement of production to final BETA(this is still in ALPHA and no plans of going to beta in sight) and it’s not delievered on the original promise of an Pressitent universe even on the scale of the original idea/kick starter goal which they predicted would be done over 2 years ago.

26. Derpy Kitty
    Derpy Kitty
    November 16, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I gladly gave $250 during Star Citizen’s Kickstart, and I’m very happy with everything that’s playable and has been shown off so far. I doubt it will live up to the expectations, but I do believe it will be fantastic when it is released. I do love Chris Robert’s work, buuut.. I also love Inafune’s work, and we all know how that turned out. I like to be open minded though! I don’t understand people who hope something fails, just for it to fail. I despise Ubisoft and EA, but I never hope their games fail. Watchdogs 2 looks pretty decent. c: Ubisoft is till garbage though.

November 16, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Mt wang was named after the chinese business man jason wang who bought spore 2 and discovered it had no content.

28. Yabloko Molloco San
    Yabloko Molloco San
    November 16, 2016 at 7:19 pm

The hard rock.

29. OSad
    OSad
    November 16, 2016 at 8:45 pm

I hope something similar in the vein of Mechwarrior online happens where apparently “pleb” players would constantly knock down people on their team with golden 1000$+ mechs out of sheer disgust for those players.

I’ve never seen this happen but it was just so amusing to me the first time I heard it was a thing.

30. OSad
    OSad
    November 16, 2016 at 8:58 pm

It’s scope creep, mate. Regardless of what you or I think the project will be, it’s been reeking of mismanagement for a long time now, just like MN9 did when it got all that cash.

KS should seriously consider giving an option to creators to limit the budget you get to exactly what you need until you give your backers a satisfactory progress report in order to garner more funds. Unfortunately, some people just can’t handle large sums of money well.

31. Trouble Man
    Trouble Man
    November 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Something something pussy fondue

32. ScarredBushido
    ScarredBushido
    November 17, 2016 at 12:17 am

what a “Dick” move…hehehe.

33. Rollo Tumasi
    Rollo Tumasi
    November 17, 2016 at 8:03 am

Most games have NOTHING to show until just moments before they release. That’s the issue with open development and allowing access to iterative alphas. I like what they are doing to shake up the game industry but it has upset the publishing houses. I’m not sure gamers, as consumers, can even handle open development since they are notoriously impatient.

34. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    November 17, 2016 at 11:31 am

I do want their games to fail because we need a shake up in the industry and not these old fossils that put up grade A shit every year.

35. OSad
    OSad
    November 17, 2016 at 12:46 pm

>consumers are impatient, SC has upset publishing houses, it’s shaking up the gaming industry!!

Most games dream of having a hundred million dollar budget and five years of development as well. They also dream of being able to charge customers forty-five dollars for a virtual ship in order to play “iterative alphas”.

The only thing Robert Space Industries is shaking up right now is your wallet. And you don’t give them a hard look or any cynicism because you’ve probably already paid the entry fee, so of course you’ll try to justify your purchase.

36. Rollo Tumasi
    Rollo Tumasi
    November 17, 2016 at 3:06 pm

There is plenty of feedback from the community, both positive and negative. You can mock developers who attempt to push technology into new areas and be content with your CoD franchise on console, but there is nothing wrong with a group of investors saying “hey let’s try something different.” If what you are saying is true about already paying the entry fee, then why was NMS such a failure despite heavy pre-sales? Also, doesn’t the game cost $60? Virtual ships? I don’t know what you mean by that. All games are virtual. We’re you expecting to get a REAL spaceship when you bought the game? That’s kinda dumb.

37. OSad
    OSad
    November 17, 2016 at 7:08 pm

>Virtual ships? I don’t know what you mean by that. I don’t know what you mean by that. All games are virtual. We’re you expecting to get a REAL spaceship when you bought the game? That’s kinda dumb.

Just wew, lad. The mental gymnastics to justify the purchase of *one* 45 dollar item for the privilege of playing possibly a part of the game instead of paying 45 dollars for the *full* game with all the items included in it, are pretty strong indeed.

I was typing another huge diatribe in response to you, but forget it, you don`t want to hear any of it. If you’re happy with your purchases, I`m not qualified to take that away from you.

38. sniper23
    sniper23
    November 18, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Actually, they started the real production in 2014, before 2014 they were building the company from the scratch. Because there wasn’t a company. Now, everything is set up and ready to go.

39. OSad
    OSad
    November 18, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Wrong.

Even though information is inconsistent, Cloud Imperium was probably already a proper studio since 2012, and even on their page they say that they “quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for Star Citizen”, so you can safely say that the game, at best, has been in development since 2013.

The funny part is that you say they were “building a company from scratch”, but according to the Wiki page, Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are produced by distributed development, by studios and cooperations with *multiple* offices around the world that have existed since at least 2011.

For fuck’s sake, do you actually believe that the company whose employees garnered 6.2 million dollars at the end of their crowdfunding campaign, and then went on to make a grand total of 130 million dollars up to this date, was just sitting with their thumbs tweedling up their asses and waiting for people to slowly pour into this wunderproject until 2014? Even if this was true, which the Wiki page proves is wrong, it would show an *incredible* capacity to mismanage time and funds, considering the campaign ended at the short end of 2013.

Christ. How do you people attempt to justify projects like this? It’s totally a MN9 situation at this point.

>studio announces humble initial project
    >fans get hyped over creator credentials
    >give the developer way more than he ever planned to have
    >developer gets a taste of blood in his mouth, opens unrealistic stretch goals
    >continues to receive money throughout
    >game’s vision goes way over what studio can actually do in a realistic amount of time
    >game postponed indefinitely

The only thing missing is the fact it might be garbage in the end, but I’m not holding my breath for that one, because I may very well be dead by the time it comes out.

40. James Brand
    James Brand
    November 19, 2016 at 6:36 am

3 to six minutes to load what you trying to play SC Alpha 2.5 on a bloody phablet ?

Game loads in 30 seconds or less for me

41. sniper23
    sniper23
    November 19, 2016 at 1:33 pm

That was my mistake. Before, 2014 there was development on small scale (no feature creep, no scoop expanding etc.) but after 2014, they’ve expanded the scope and then the hate begun.

Also, I don’t know why you are mad about the game ? Did you invest or did you just hate the game for no reason ? Even we hate the game, there is nothing we can do. It’s people’s money, if they want to be scammed let them be.

42. OSad
    OSad
    November 19, 2016 at 2:36 pm

And this isn’t including the 8 gigs of RAM and Windows 7 SP1, no background processes or anything. Despite the fact that the 2600 is pretty old at this point, the PC still loads everything in my Steam library from main menu to game in actual less than 20 seconds *at most*, and they all run flawlessly at 60 locked, 1440p (a pretty good amount at 4k even), negligible loading times and all. But I kid you not, SC takes at least ten times that to do the same, and it’ll do 15 frames at most at 1080p.

Maybe you have an SSD or something and that speeds things up dramatically for this game in particular, but for me, it takes forever to load and runs poorly. That’s just my experience.

43. OSad
    OSad
    November 19, 2016 at 2:56 pm

It’s jealousy, I have to admit. I have not backed the project since space sims aren’t really my thing, but seeing people fall head over heels for it over a famous name and a grandiose concept while smaller, more interesting projects with very humble goals get ignored makes my blood boil.

Take Tiny Metal for instance, very promising idea by ex-Advance Wars devs, really good, colorful, challenging GBA and DS strategy series. They ask for a very modest 50k, pretty much as budget as it gets, to make a spiritual successor to the franchise. They give everyone a very decent prototype to play with on PC, they got endorsed by Yoko Taro, the guy making the new Nier which a lot of people are excited about… they’re pretty much poised to get at least 50k for it, and somehow they just kinda flopped over the 30k mark.

Meanwhile, Star Citizen gets six million, which is more than Bloodstained and even MN9 even managed to get, somehow they get away with selling essentially art concepts for now on their page for more than forty dollars a pop, rake their way up to one hundred million dollars, and after a sizable development time, they don’t even have that much interesting to show for it.

It’s petty as fuck, I know. But as long as I got the breath to complain about it, I will. If the game turns out to be amazing, I’ll swallow my words over it not looking interesting, but as far as the campaign and development is concerned, I will never, ever concede that it was or is being done well, while smaller projects that ask for a fraction of what it got, look great and would actually work out get shot to the side because there’s no big name like Chris Roberts or Wing Commander behind it.

That’s why I get real internet mad about Shekel Citizen.

44. James Brand
    James Brand
    November 19, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Ah well that explains its a older CPU and MB coupled with Mechanical drives.

Personally I have mine on a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo along with my OS (W10 Pro) other than that just got a i5 4670K OC’d to a mild 4.3Ghz with a Palit SuperJetream 980Ti.

Most I’v ever had to wait is 1 minute but for at least the last year its been sub 30 seconds from launching to playing.

I know that right now frame rate is tied to the network code till they implement their “StarNetwork” so maybe loadtime is linked to that too ? hard to say as I’m getting a steady 89Mb/s download and 6Mb/s Upload.

45. sniper23
    sniper23
    November 24, 2016 at 2:09 pm

The world is not fair, unfortunately…

46. James Brand
    James Brand
    February 20, 2017 at 8:39 am

Yes I have a SSD ( a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo specifically) other specs are:

Intel i5 4670K OC’d to 4.3Ghz
    Asus Z97-Deluxe
    32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz
    2 Seagate Barracuda Mechanical HD’s 3TB and 2TB respectively
    EVGA Supernova G2 1300W PSU
    Palit SuperJetstream 980Ti
    Thermaltake Core X9 Case with custom water loop using a 480mm Radiator.

I’d agree with your end point the Mechanical HD and the older CPU are your 2 weakpoints here, but a SSD should certainly speed things up.My Advice pick a 256GB-512GB SSD specifically for a few select games like SC.