Shovel Knight “Specter of Torment” DLC Arriving Spring 2017

shovel-knight-09-13-16-1

Yacht Club Games has announced the release window for the latest DLC coming to Shovel Knight.

The new “Specter of Torment” expansion will launch for the game sometime in the spring of next year. Focused entirely on the shadowy Specter Knight, fans will be able to make use of his slash, dash slash, and wall climbing to scale terrain and slay your enemies quickly.

Yacht Club Games are also working on the following expansion featuring King Knight, as well as the Body Swap and Battle Mode features. Release windows for those updates haven’t been confirmed.

1. Professor_Icepick
    Professor_Icepick
    September 13, 2016 at 3:07 am

I was hoping it would be out sooner, but I guess it’s encouraging that they’ve got a release window.

Hopefully the King Knight campaign will also release next year.

September 13, 2016 at 3:11 am

I didn’t really like how Plague Knight played, but I’ll definitely give this expansion a try. Yacht Club Games are pretty awesome with how they handle DLC.

3. scemar
    scemar
    September 13, 2016 at 4:51 am

an actual expansion, how retro, I like it

4. panda
    panda
    September 13, 2016 at 5:43 am

This is gonna be super fast. sweet.

5. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    September 13, 2016 at 6:27 am

that is a long time to make dlc for a sprite based nes styled game.

6. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    September 13, 2016 at 8:05 am

A shame that they missed their “we’ll get everything out by the end of 2016” goal, but with all the other stuff they picked up like the amiibo, the japanese localization, Vita version and now publishing Gunvolt, I can kinda see why.

Bu still, fuck yeah, I love me some Shovel Knight. Given how great Plague of Shadows was, I’m very much looking forward to this one. I still can’t believe they’re giving these extra campaigns away for free.

7. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    September 13, 2016 at 9:19 am

Specter Knight could fly/hover originally yes? I wonder if that’ll play into it?
    Not to mention he’s quite tall, so while Plague Knights sprite was modified a tiny bit, Specter would need an overhaul.

8. DrearierSpider
    DrearierSpider
    September 13, 2016 at 9:31 am

Wonder if it’ll be free again. Wouldn’t blame these guys charging for a second though.

9. Captain Vidya
    Captain Vidya
    September 13, 2016 at 10:01 am

They’ve said that all of the DLC campaigns, and the modes that they’ll come with them, will all be free.

10. BaronKrause
    BaronKrause
    September 13, 2016 at 3:12 pm

When I saw the tiny thumbnail I first read this as “Soviet Knight”.

I’m actually a little disappointed.

11. Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    September 13, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Complaining about free DLC. Wow.

12. Snorlaxation
    Snorlaxation
    September 13, 2016 at 6:38 pm

when you take into consideration that this game is accessible for multiple platforms, has a fair amount of in-game text for each of these alternate playable characters, that the gameplay and environments change for each character, and, like @Captain_Vidya:disqus said, the amiibo business deals and working that into the games, japanese localization, and their companie’s handling of Gunvolt,

…yes, it’s been a while. But it makes perfect sense why.