Dreamy Underwater Game Abzu Launches August 2 for PC, PS4

505 Games and developer Giant Squid have announced the release date for Abzu.

The dreamy, underwater exploration-focused game will launch for both PC and PlayStation on August 2nd. Featured above, a new trailer for the game was also revealed during this year’s E3 convention.

You can find a brief synopsis for the game below, via 505 Games:

Abzu is an epic descent into the depths of the sea, where players will explore beautifully rendered ocean environments with fluid swimming controls. The experience draws inspiration from the deep innate narrative that we all carry within our subconscious: the story of ABZÛ is a universal myth that resonates across cultures. The name references a concept from the oldest mythologies; it is the combination of the two ancient words “AB,” meaning ocean, and “ZÛ,” meaning to know. Abzu is the ocean of wisdom.

June 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm

This game has the potential to be an underwater Journey. Looking forward to it.

June 20, 2016 at 11:27 pm

“This game has the potential to be an underwater Journey.”

So boring?

3. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 12:23 am

>This game has the potential to be a walking simulator in blue

4. Fennix
    Fennix
    June 21, 2016 at 2:12 am

No Journey was enthralling and breathtaking. Boring would be more akin to the offspring your parents created. *Hands you a mirror to gaze into.*

5. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    June 21, 2016 at 2:34 am

Looks like someone tried to make a casual Subnautica using the Wind Waker engine. Garbage.

6. Smug
    Smug
    June 21, 2016 at 3:29 am

meh it was kind of alright (mostly because of visuals) but that didnt stop it to be a walking simulator in the end with the fact you cant die at all.

June 21, 2016 at 6:25 am

Journey has actual gameplay other than walking. Oh, and no lesbian sisters.

June 21, 2016 at 6:26 am

k.

June 21, 2016 at 6:39 am

Other than the fact that you could die and that you have abilities other than walking like jumping and flying you are completely correct.

10. Smug
    Smug
    June 21, 2016 at 6:50 am

Nope, you cant die/get game overs as far I remember. Your scarf only lose its length when you get caught by the metal worm, so it completely nullified the threat. There were no challenges and the puzzle elements were almost nonexistent. You’re essentially pushing forward on the analog stick.

Journey was more a tech-demo/walking simulator (and one of those “muh vidya is art” shit) than a game.

June 21, 2016 at 7:05 am

Well, you remember wrong. Once you scarf goes back to a certain length a hit kills you and you go back to a checkpoint.

Again – it’s not a walking simulator when you have to jump, fly and build bridges to progress.

12. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 7:19 am

Oh neat, what’s there? I might give it a shot.

13. Smug
    Smug
    June 21, 2016 at 7:38 am

No need to lie faggot. I just re-tried it now, and even when there was no longer a scarf after several worm attacks, I was still alive.

That reminds me I should sell the disc and get a game from it.

“it’s not a walking simulator despite the sole thing you do is literally moving forward”
    lel

June 21, 2016 at 7:46 am

Sure you did, douchebag, I totally believe you.

Stating actual features of the game is fanboyism to you. Ok.

June 21, 2016 at 7:49 am

So you haven’t played it and yet declare it a walking simulator?

In any case you can jump, fly around, build bridges and other structures that help you progress. Also if there is another person you could combine your abilities with them to progress faster.

16. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 7:52 am

I saw like 10 minutes of gameplay and yes if those ten minutes don’t appeal to me I move on

17. Smug
    Smug
    June 21, 2016 at 7:52 am

“Stating actual features of the game is fanboyism to you”
    >stating the sole puzzle element (building bridges in the second part) of the game in response of my statement that ‘puzzle elements were almost nonexistent’
    >stating jumping/floating as a feature (which cant be done if the scarf isnt glowing) against the walking simulator argument despite you pretty much only move forward on the analog stick and do nothing else (maybe mash the “chirp” button over and over again).

“I totally believe you”
    Yeah I can understand it’s hard to face criticism on things you like

June 21, 2016 at 7:55 am

Fair enough, but it’s not a walking simulator.

June 21, 2016 at 8:01 am

You can’t complete the game unless you fly in certain sections, so it’s still not a walking simulator as you declared it. By that logic every sidescroller without combat is a walking simulator.

“Yeah I can understand it’s hard to face criticism on things you like” – nope, it’s just that anecdotal evidence is no evidence whatsoever. Does your uncle work at Nintendo as well?

20. Smug
    Smug
    June 21, 2016 at 8:04 am

The scarf spawned back to its minimal size after I completed the worm cavern with nothing That’s pretty much what happened.

But please continue to be an upset faggot because I’m shitting on your “art game”.

June 21, 2016 at 8:08 am

I’ll write it again – anecdotal evidence is no evidence whatsoever.

Assuming that a second rate troll can actually upset me or anyone else for that matter – cute.

22. STARSBarry
    STARSBarry
    June 21, 2016 at 8:36 am

see I would argue that it is a walking simulator, just a good one that is an example of what to do when your making one, after all a walking simulator is all about the JOURNEY!

The problem with most of the genere is the story or moral they are trying to tell is awful, this is why the likes of gone home fails to engage while the Stanley parable and journey do, they keep you interested and stimulated while making you want to push on and find out what happens next, reflecting on my time with Journey I would say it is definitely a game people “have” to play just like Half-Life and the new Doom because it has impact to it. However it still is a walking simulator which is not a bad thing, its just the genre has been getting a very bad rap in recent years, its like saying all FPS is shit because CoD exists though.

23. Smug
    Smug
    June 21, 2016 at 8:43 am

“anecdotal evidence”
    alright you can kill yourself now

24. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 8:45 am

>It’s a game people have to play like NuDoom

Oh my fucking sides.

June 21, 2016 at 8:45 am

You first.

June 21, 2016 at 8:49 am

Well, yeah. Most modern games with checkpoints work like that.

June 21, 2016 at 8:50 am

If anything Journey is closer to a 3D platformer. The walking simulators genre is about walking an object interactions like Gone Home, Everybody’s Gone to Rapture and all the other similar games.

28. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 8:50 am

Are you fucking serious you god damn sack of shit? Journey does not have a fail state and you lied through your teeth saying you can die

June 21, 2016 at 8:51 am

You can die, fuckface. There is just no game over.

30. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 8:54 am

No you can not. The worst you get is your scarf is reduced to minimum length with no punishment which you would no if you read the god damn link I gave you. This whole fucking time you asked for evidence and you got it but you provided none of your own.

Go ahead and show me a video with the character dying. No really I’ll be here.

31. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 8:56 am

3D platformers also have a fail state for fucking up a level.

32. Smug
    Smug
    June 21, 2016 at 8:57 am

“If anything Journey is closer to a 3D platformer.”

June 21, 2016 at 9:15 am

Well the link didn’t show any evidence of that. Just a personal experience.

There is a specific section in the game where there are iron worms than when they spot you they can damage your scarf. If they damage you enough you go back to a checkpoint.

I don’t have a video to support my claim, so you can believe what you want. If I find anything or be bothered enough to play the game again and actually record that section I’ll post it here.

34. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 9:18 am

Uhuh sure you will.

35. STARSBarry
    STARSBarry
    June 21, 2016 at 9:58 am

the reply of the average gamer who has not played new doom or in fact any FPS pre-halo years, and instead wants to make snarky comments because newer games can never capture the glory of the golden era they never grew up in.

Unless its like the new Judge Dread movie

36. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 10:01 am

>YOU DIDN’T PLAY THOSE GAMES HAH YOUNGFAGS

>Judge “Dread”

>”Dread”

Way to oust yourself, retard

37. STARSBarry
    STARSBarry
    June 21, 2016 at 10:04 am

FUCK but seriously play the new doom

38. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 10:32 am

I played it on a friend’s PC and the way I judge Doom games is outside of how I normally judge games.

With Doom is anything, and I mean ANYTHING keeps me from mowing down demons it goes in the trash can and 6 second QTEs to get ammo and health packs is shitty in that case. And cutscenes, fuck ’em. Doom doesn’t need it.

39. STARSBarry
    STARSBarry
    June 21, 2016 at 10:36 am

QTE’s whut? I thought chainsaw mouse 1 was like 1 second tops for ammo. I would agree with the cutscenes if 90% of the time they where not under 30 seconds and did not involve your character breaking something important hes been told to protect in a fit of rage.

40. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 10:38 am

Glory kills man, they’re fucking annoying.

41. STARSBarry
    STARSBarry
    June 21, 2016 at 10:51 am

but like… the leg twist and hit lasts the longest and thats less than a second so I was confused for a moment (its also mouse1) when I think QTE I was like…. shenmu? you can make them even faster with the quick kill rune, although thats later in game , and I think on a mechanical level the idea behind them is excellent im unsure how they could of implemented then better, you get more Heath packs the lower health you are so what this does on game play level is teach you can the best thing you can do on low health is charge in guns blazing as close to an enemy as possible and score a glory kill, Its one of the little touches that makes people more aggressive in there playstyle rather than circling enemies at the extreme range using the zoom on the railgun. So I can totally get where your coming from, but I think the game would feel less in your face without them only because there would be no incentive to get in close as the levels are much more open that the older games in the series.

42. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 10:52 am

Doom should be teaching you not getting hit which is why I dislike glory kills.

43. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    June 21, 2016 at 10:55 am

Journey is probably the only walking simulator I ever enjoyed if I’m being honest

June 21, 2016 at 11:54 am

I’m sorry you enjoy shit but there’s no need to lash out at me about it.

45. Dunk
    Dunk
    June 21, 2016 at 11:57 am

On one hand, it could be in the same league as Ecco and Endless Ocean. On the other, it could be Gone Swimming.

46. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    June 21, 2016 at 12:53 pm

>While it’s not proof here’s

>A fucking web COMIC

Hey fucko mcdickmouth, how about gameplay where someone dies? Shouldn’t be so hard to find if it actually happens, right?