New Legend of Zelda Title Confirmed for Wii U and NX, Delayed to 2017

the legend of zelda 04-27-16-1

Nintendo has officially confirmed their new Legend of Zelda title for both Wii U and their code-named NX platform.

The company also said the game will release simultaneously for both platforms, sometime next year – meaning it has received a slight delay. Over on the company’s Japanese Twitter, they confirmed the reasoning behind the delay being the game needed further polishing.

To coincide with the new announcement, Nintendo shared a new piece of artwork, which you can view above.

Nintendo’s new console, NX, will ship sometime in March of 2017.

1. landlock
    landlock
    April 27, 2016 at 7:56 am

Wasn’t the NX confirmed for a March 2017 release worldwide.

2. BeholdMyPower
    BeholdMyPower
    April 27, 2016 at 8:04 am

Confirmed for March release and to be absent from E3. They’ll be doing a seperate event to unveil it sometime this year.

3. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 27, 2016 at 8:12 am

I guess the positive spin to this is that there will be more time for better launch titles potentially. It’s just disappointing as that was what I was most curious to see at E3.

4. catazxy
    catazxy
    April 27, 2016 at 8:13 am

on both wii u and nx? I wonder why… Zelda’s name alone would sell a bunch of NXs, but if its on both platforms then the NX its only for the “new” fans…

5. Arenegeth
    Arenegeth
    April 27, 2016 at 8:17 am

And this surprised… No one.

What I want to know is whether there will be any significant differences between the two versions.

Twilight Princess on the GC/Wii was pretty much identical in performance and the only real differences were the mirrored world and motion controls (why a lot of people considered the GC version superior).

That was partly because the GC and the Wii themselves were very close in power and architecture, the NX will theoretically be quite superior compared to the Wii U, so I’m wondering if the NX version will be “gimmicked up” or actually run significantly better (4k to Wii U’s 1080p for example).

If the NX version turns out better, it will rustle a lot of jimmies, including my own. This new Zelda game was the one Wii U game I was looking forward to the most (besides Xenoblade Chronicles X) and the only Wii U game I got left to look forward to at all, given the barren year that follows Star Fox Zero’s release.

6. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    April 27, 2016 at 8:42 am

AHAHAHAHAH

7. NuclearCherries
    NuclearCherries
    April 27, 2016 at 8:44 am

It is the Mighty No. 9 of Zelda games.

8. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    April 27, 2016 at 8:47 am

An official drawing of a masculine Link? I guess they got fed up with the bitching that Link was a female character in this game.

April 27, 2016 at 8:54 am

I wouldn’t go that far. That’s just mean.

10. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    April 27, 2016 at 8:56 am

Emily rogers on suicide watch

April 27, 2016 at 8:58 am

Maybe because they need to release a new Zelda title on the Wii U, otherwise I’d imagine the fanbase will not be happy, given how the game was advertised for the platform.

12. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 27, 2016 at 8:58 am

Apparently Zelda titles get delayed usually too, but here it’s just compounded with the NX’s stuff. That and going from Wii U exclusive to dual release.

April 27, 2016 at 9:00 am

Who is she?

April 27, 2016 at 9:02 am

They are missing the holiday season and not showing the console at E3? That’s rather strange.

15. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    April 27, 2016 at 9:05 am

Here’s hoping we can get both Male and Female Link options. I plan to play the Wii U version with Linkle and the NX version with Link if that’s the case.

16. Dark Link

Valwin Mediaz
    April 27, 2016 at 9:05 am

that’s not happening

19. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    April 27, 2016 at 9:05 am

the idiot with the retarded femlink rumors

20. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    April 27, 2016 at 9:07 am

Oh that person, I do believe she’s given accurate leaks before.

21. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    April 27, 2016 at 9:08 am

Even if it doesn’t, I’m excited for the new Zelda.

22. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    April 27, 2016 at 9:08 am

sure she did in fantasy land

23. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    April 27, 2016 at 9:09 am

Sure

24. SuuLoliBoob
    SuuLoliBoob
    April 27, 2016 at 9:10 am

Thank god i didn’t buy a Wii U then. The question remains, for me anyways, is if the NX is backwards compatible.

25. Dark Lord Ash
    Dark Lord Ash
    April 27, 2016 at 9:12 am

Waiting for a dual release with the NX? I’m utterly shocked and surprised.

26. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 27, 2016 at 9:12 am

That’s what I was waiting to hear too. Wasn’t really planning on buying it day one, but I’ve got a lot questions on what the’re doing with the hardware.

27. Joan Tesh
    Joan Tesh
    April 27, 2016 at 9:14 am

It’s not strange to release a console in March, but it is strange to not use E3 to announce it.

They must be worried about the PS4k. And they probably don’t have many games to show.

April 27, 2016 at 9:19 am

I don’t think the PS4K (if it exists) has anything to do with it. The reason is most likely your second suggestion and the games for it are still in deep development. That would imply that the launch library could be limited.

29. Dark Link

Dark Link
    April 27, 2016 at 9:32 am

‘k

32. deadeye
    deadeye
    April 27, 2016 at 9:40 am

Personally, I don’t really regret my Wii U purchase. Good games were played.

Although, if the Wii U wasn’t really enough of a failure, it will be the first and only Nintendo console to not have an exclusive Zelda game. Although WWHD and TPHD are pretty nice improvements of Zelda games that had some issues, so it’s not a total loss.

Hopefully the Wii U version isn’t awful, as I’m probably not gonna be picking up a NX at launch. I’d even be okay with Wii U version running at 30fps.

33. vonSanneck
    vonSanneck
    April 27, 2016 at 9:52 am

And still waiting for their revision on internet policies, the whole world does not confined itself to Japan only Nintendo. And I know “fair use” or equivalent does not exist in Japan and why they have to license everything…

34. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    April 27, 2016 at 10:25 am

WEW! can’t wait to play this on cemu!

35. WB1c_Marathon
    WB1c_Marathon
    April 27, 2016 at 11:06 am

Well time to sell my Wii U. I bought it for Zelda, and while it had fun games, most if what I wanted got censored. I might as well sell the fucking thing now since I played the few games I do have to death. I’m just gonna skip NX.

36. Anon_Amous
    Anon_Amous
    April 27, 2016 at 11:38 am

None of this really surprises me except the March release date…
    That seems like a really horrible idea. Nintendo better market out the butt for this or we’re looking at Wii U 2.0.

37. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    April 27, 2016 at 11:54 am

I’d be surprised if it’s backwards compatible. Nintendo desperately needs to regain third party developer support and to do that, they need to get on the x86 bandwagon. I’ve always liked Nintendo’s support for backwards compatibility, but sometimes you have to lose one thing in order to gain something better.

38. totenglocke
    totenglocke
    April 27, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Regarding the March release, it makes sense if they originally planned a holiday release but pushed it back three months in order to ensure a solid lineup of launch titles. If Nintendo can have 4-5 first party games (even if a couple are ports from Wii U, like Smash Bros or Mario Maker) and they can have several third party games all out in the first month, the NX will likely sell really well.

39. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 27, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Like I said a couple of days ago, gotta love these platform holders (and those they make deals with) having zero problems about blatantly lying to their would-be customers just in order to sell hardware units based on patently false promises.

40. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    April 27, 2016 at 12:44 pm

I don’t get why it will upset people if it runs better. Better hardware means better performance. You’re still getting the game. As long as it runs to the Wii U’s best capability who cares?

It’s not like Until Dawn, The Last Guardian, and FF Versus XIII where lots of us were waiting for years and they didn’t even come out on the PS3.

41. catazxy
    catazxy
    April 27, 2016 at 1:43 pm

yeah, I guess, but now there is no point for them to buy an NX…..well, I don’t care either way, I’m one of them crazy bastards who would buy nintendo games on pc, rather then plug in the console for 1,2 games a year….

42. catazxy
    catazxy
    April 27, 2016 at 1:48 pm

well, as long they don’t make Link an transsexual black midget, it will be fine….

April 27, 2016 at 2:08 pm

They have a lot to prove after the Wii U, so the reveal event has to be marketing perfection, but I guess you’re right.

44. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    April 27, 2016 at 2:30 pm

The Wii U is essentially a giant ass DS. I wish they would just fucking let us use it to play our bought DS games instead of their piss small library of VC trash. Meh… maybe homebrew in the future I guess.

45. scemar
    scemar
    April 27, 2016 at 2:58 pm

I hope the difference in graphics and all that turns out to be significant, hell, I wish they’d scrap the WiiU version entirely and focused on making the NX version stand up to quality.

It all depends on how much Nintendo still cares about the core gamer demographic at this point.

Zelda has never actually been a big seller, but it has always been a flagship franchise among the core.
    Back in the day Zelda games stood for top tier gameplay and top tier technical quality, if Nintendo truly has the ambition of regaining the core, and has the faith in its own game, they should invest all out on it and make it the best Zelda it can be and maybe they’ll regain some of the support they have been losing over time.

The last two zelda games impressed no one because they were stuck in comparatively weak hardware and merely did stuff others have done better, but if the NX spec rumors are true and it does somewhat match the capacity of the current gen consoles it might be the first time Nintendo gets a chance to actually show the world an old school Zelda again, one that pushes the envelope of what the game can be.

46. Dr. Roswell. W
    Dr. Roswell. W
    April 27, 2016 at 5:35 pm

I’m with you.

47. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 27, 2016 at 5:53 pm

That’s actually not true at all. Zelda doesn’t sell COD numbers, but its still a pretty big seller. It easily contends with other top sellers like Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

Twilight Princess actually outsold both last gen If I remember right, at 9mil.

48. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 27, 2016 at 7:35 pm

So they’re confirming this will be an NX launch title, but won’t show the NX at E3 and refuse to provide any information about it, but WILL show this at E3?

What they’re just going to pretend like the NX doesn’t exist or something even when asked about this game? Train wreck incoming.

49. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 27, 2016 at 7:37 pm

If they had taken our money already, it would be. But at least they didn’t do that.

It’s the Final Fantasy 15 of Zelda games.

50. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    April 29, 2016 at 5:34 am

Bullshit. The game is being delayed because NX isn’t being released until 2017, this isn’t rocket science. Stop lying, Nintendo.

51. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    April 29, 2016 at 5:37 am

After owning the Wii U I never want to own another Nintendo console. Not because of the lack of games, but rather because Nintendo chose to deliberately ruin the few games they did release for it.

52. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    April 29, 2016 at 5:39 am

It will be 720p and 30fps on Wii U, while being 1080p [or higher] and 60fps on NX.

53. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    April 29, 2016 at 5:42 am

I think it was meant relative to other Nintendo franchises – like Zelda sales don’t come close to the sales of NSMB or Mario Kart.

54. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    April 29, 2016 at 9:05 pm

I thought so too though, which is why I compared it to games like COD which sell just as much.