NIS America Will Stop Publishing Atlus Games in Europe

nisa-logo

We’ve learned (via MCV UK) that NIS America will no longer be publishing Atlus games in Europe.

This comes NIS America MD Takuro Yamashita, who explained that ever since Atlus was purchased by Sega that it had become more difficult to work with them.

He explains:

Around ten days ago, we terminated our alliance with Atlus in Europe and the US,” Yamashita told MCV.

Atlus became very picky about selecting the European publishing partner after it was bought by Sega. It always cherry picked its EU publishing partner based on who offered the highest minimum guarantee on a title by title basis. I noticed that it was very difficult for NIS America to establish an equal-partnership with Atlus.

Atlus and its European games have contributed a lot to the expansion of NIS America in Europe. I would like to express my greatest appreciation to them for that.

NIS America have been responsible for publishing Persona 4: Golden, Etrian Odyssey 2: The Fafnir Knight and Persona Q in Europe. This will not affect the European release of Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir.

This also raises the question of what will happen with the European release of Persona 5, whether they find a new publisher or simply publish it under Sega Europe.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. deadeye
    deadeye
    April 25, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Yeah, hopefully Atlus games can still make their way over to Europe. They seem to have a hard enough time as it is getting their games.

2. NuclearCherries
    NuclearCherries
    April 25, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Hell yeah boy. Less NISA is always better. I can also see Sega helping when it comes to European releases.

3. CrabCombat
    CrabCombat
    April 25, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Well, this sucks. NISA deserve all the shit they get when it comes to their localisations, sure, but they’re usually pretty good with getting stuff out here. Sometime we don’t even have to wait months for a game.

Unless the plan is to just have SEGA Europe handle everything, this is pretty shitty.

4. Ellen J Miller
    Ellen J Miller
    April 25, 2016 at 1:24 pm

“I can also see Sega helping when it comes to European releases.”

We have no release date for 7th Dragon III Code: VFD or SEGA 3D Classics Collection in Europe. We’re fucked.

April 25, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Maybe ghostlight will come back into the spotlight…

6. djluke_1993
    djluke_1993
    April 25, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Please no.

April 25, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Well that’s it. We’re never seeing another Atlus game over here. At least I’m still getting Odin Sphere and with any luck somebody will bring over the newer Atlus projects.

8. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    April 25, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Now, if they would just stop doing America, that’d be great.

April 25, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Hey they didn’t botch the release of Way of the samurai 3 so maybe they’re getting it together.

10. Kobeer Namtab
    Kobeer Namtab
    April 25, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Fill me in, what did NISA fuck up? I haven’t played much from them since early Disgaea titles.

11. Uncle Ocelot
    Uncle Ocelot
    April 25, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Didn’t SEGA publish Persona 4 Arena Ultimax in Europe? Maybe they’ll pick up the slack from here, but they seem a bit quiet EU wise.

12. deadeye
    deadeye
    April 25, 2016 at 1:54 pm

As far as translation goes, they like to make scripts appear “cool” in the way that a teenager might find things “cool”. I didn’t think Disgaea 5 was as bad as some of their other games, but it’s still there.

It kinda worked for Disgaea, but they’ve gone kinda overboard with it.

Also, pretty sub-par dubbing (most of their games have dual-audio though, so that’s nice), and the worst part is introducing bugs that weren’t in the original. I know Disgaea D2 had a lot of freezing and crashing problems, and I think it even caused PS3s to overheat.

13. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I like how everyone’s so damn hopeful all the time.

“H-Hey, they fucked up only a few times, this time they g-got it right! (We’re doomed aren’t we?)”
    Reminds me of this:

14. NeoSkyte
    NeoSkyte
    April 25, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I remember John Hardin (PR for Atlus and Sega) confirmed there was talks about improving European releases. Though he never specified what they’re going to do so yeah you guys are fucked.

15. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Thank fucking god, we needed more of that!

IT’S CURRENT_YEAR AFTER ALL.

16. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    April 25, 2016 at 2:05 pm

On one hand this probably isn’t good news for European fans. With how Atlus games tend to take eons to come out there from what I’ve heard it’s probably not gonna be fun times ahead.

On the other it means NISA will be making less money, which I frankly think is an objectively good thing.

17. Feniks
    Feniks
    April 25, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Good. It always annoyed me that if I bought a physical copy of a game in my local store I was inadvertently sponsoring the terrorist organisation called NISA.

18. Dgnfly
    Dgnfly
    April 25, 2016 at 2:10 pm

But they did censor their games.

19. Kobeer Namtab
    Kobeer Namtab
    April 25, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Thanks!

20. Kobeer Namtab
    Kobeer Namtab
    April 25, 2016 at 2:14 pm

I appreciate the explaination.

21. totlmstr
    totlmstr
    April 25, 2016 at 2:23 pm

>Atlus became very picky about selecting the European publishing partner after it was bought by Sega. It always cherry picked its EU publishing partner based on who offered the highest minimum guarantee on a title by title basis.

That means it’s either SEGA’s or Atlus’ problem (leaning on SEGA), not NISA’s. Either one came to a disagreement, and it led to this decision.

22. ivanchu77
    ivanchu77
    April 25, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Atlus being pieces of shit to europeans as usual, we finally get a publisher that releases their games in a decent time and they scrap them?

NISA, Idea Factory or XSeed are smaller that atlus yet they localize their games to EU almost at the same time they do in the USA , Atlus just doesn´t give a shit and most times they didn´t even localize the games, fuck them

23. inquisitormcsagington
    inquisitormcsagington
    April 25, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Just pray for some eastern releases with english subs.
    Otheriwse, we are FUCKED.

24. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 25, 2016 at 2:44 pm

On behalf of all of Europe: Get fucked, Atlus.

We’ve now literally regressed back to the 90’s, with European releases being this much of an uncertainty, and whatever games we do get are censored due to moral outrage by the puritans.

25. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    April 25, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Oh boy,this is terrible news.I fear for Persona 5 in Europe.

26. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 25, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Do you hear that? That’s the sound of Videogames Plus and Play-Asia laughing on their way to the bank to deposit those €’s.

27. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 25, 2016 at 2:58 pm

I know it isn’t Hardin here, but for future reference it’s best to take whatever he says with a silo’s worth of salt: out of all the PR people in gaming, I have never seen someone else so blatantly disrespect their customers by downright lying to them all the time, not to mention continuing to downright ignore the Europe situation.

28. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 25, 2016 at 2:58 pm

inb4 digital only releases for Europe while NA gets extravagant collectors editions complete with gold plated Blu-Ray disks.

April 25, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Look I don’t have any real hope for you assholes so take the fake hope or accept you’re fucked.

30. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 25, 2016 at 3:03 pm

They aint seeing a cent from me until those lying cowards undo the censorship of Mugen Souls and Agarest 2 on Steam.

Seriously fuck Ghostlight

31. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    April 25, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Isn’t it usually you guys who get the nice collectors editions for JP games?

32. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    April 25, 2016 at 3:08 pm

People should try harder to enjoy how absurdly bleak the world has gotten.

33. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 25, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I rather eat the shipping costs + import tax than having to play another butchered release from Ghostlight.

Besides censorship don’t forget they also released Devil Survivor Overclocked with numerous game crashing bugs that would have been caught with if Ghostlight had even spend 1 hour of playtesting. Instead they just released that broken build to the paying costumer instead of sending it back to Atlus telling them to fix it.

34. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 25, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Good one.
    PQube and Bamco often do good CE’s on par or better than their NA counterparts but in general Europe often has to do with a plain physical release or digital only.

35. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    April 25, 2016 at 3:18 pm

So it’s just the real weeb shit?

36. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 25, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Wasn’t that from before the massive downsizing at Sega EU?

My sarcastic comment was more referring to that interview where Sega remarked they learned allot from Atlus.

And seeing Sega has yet to announce an official confirmation for a European release for one of the most anticipated JRPG’s…

37. NeoSkyte
    NeoSkyte
    April 25, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Yeah still kinda jealous especially that Yakuza 4 collectors edition with the rice bowl.

38. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 25, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I’m sure there’s nothing to fear from the company responsible for the only region-locked PS3 game…

39. Maria Adelaide Borromeo
    Maria Adelaide Borromeo
    April 25, 2016 at 3:36 pm

We are so fucked now in Europe. SEGA Europe hasn’t even announced Hatsune Miku Project Diva X in Europe, while the Americas are getting it almost at the same time as the Japanese (the PS4 version, that is). >.<

40. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 25, 2016 at 3:37 pm

I didn’t even know there was a Yakuza 4 CE.
    I do remember that in the NA they had that promotion where you could win a Dragon Tatoo.

And we in Europe got boned with PS3 Project Diva F that was digital only.

41. MGNoxa
    MGNoxa
    April 25, 2016 at 4:27 pm

I wanted to build my PS1 JRPG collection up because I missed so many and I’m looking for all these awesome games everyone talks about and I can’t find any PAL versions… Most of them didn’t even release over here and now I’m pissed it’s going to happen again, at least there’s no region locking but I’m still pissed.

42. Sevuz
    Sevuz
    April 25, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I hope they find a company that can do it better + we are gonna see more games

43. Alistair
    Alistair
    April 25, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I should be crying but I’m not the statement says that sega will cherry picked & be picky to chose from to minimum guarantee on title on title basis meaning a title that would get release with-out any censorship.

NISA are prone to censorship they own games & it comes right back & bite them on they arse.

This not the end of NISA for EU as they will still release they own censored games but the statement also said EU & NA so NA is too like EU not getting NISA.

Edit: I don’t see the hurt against Atlus We all know NISA views regarding censorship.

44. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    April 25, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Sega said at the beginning of the month that it would take over publishing in Europe and America. It would seem NIS is rather annoyed it’s best seller isn’t working with them anymore.

45. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    April 25, 2016 at 4:56 pm

There were a few European Releases like that. It really cheesed me.

46. Phasmatis75
    Phasmatis75
    April 25, 2016 at 4:57 pm

According to Sega at the beginning of the month that’s exactly what is going to happen.

47. Alistair
    Alistair
    April 25, 2016 at 5:04 pm

In fact I’m glad this happen I said before we should cut out the middle man like play Aisa. Releasing uncensored games from Asia with English subtitles.

& sega are cutting out the middle man NISA atlus games are sega it doesn’t matter sega or atlus being picky if I was a Dev I want my games uncensored & if I was a Dev I stay the F away from ninty treehouse.

48. nine_ball
    nine_ball
    April 25, 2016 at 5:14 pm

It’s NISA, your games were already being censored

49. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 25, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Yeah, I mean Atlus in-house I thought was better than NISA?

But yes, this does increase the risk of games not getting localized if they can’t find a decent- non censoring publisher.

50. Soaringfalco
    Soaringfalco
    April 25, 2016 at 5:24 pm

You Europeans are so salty.

51. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 25, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Close enough for me! I didn’t even know that about Natural Doctrine and Operation Abyss. Despite it being little compared to some of their more high profile fuckups, they really need to get their shit together.

I’m saying this as a guy who just received his Stranger of Sword City game in the mail.

52. Bon Babab
    Bon Babab
    April 25, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Depends if it happens at the cost of getting fucked up release that they won’t fix. Fear for the Odin Sphere localisation, they’re handling not 1 but 5 languages.

53. Bon Babab
    Bon Babab
    April 25, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Biggest one is definitely 100 Knight. Random crashes out of the wazoo that may or may not happen to you. For me they started in the first chapter – too bad it was already too late to retun the game for me when I got to play it.

But hey, you can buy the working version on PS4 now, it’s only 15€ on sale! :))

54. Bon Babab
    Bon Babab
    April 25, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Atlus themselves don’t have EU branch though which has always been a problem for their games. During Gen 6 you had at least Square-Enix and Ghostlight that published games by Atlus in EU.

XSEED doesn’t release in Europe either, it’s usually NISA (since they do have European branch) distributing games here (they don’t do anything else as far as I know).

IFI is also literally International.

55. Zero Eternity
    Zero Eternity
    April 25, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Ehh I’ve seen it both ways. An example being Senran Kagura Esitival Versus and some others but that was the most recent game that I want to buy any of the LEs.

56. Eldhin Hellknight
    Eldhin Hellknight
    April 25, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Great news

57. bdp
    bdp
    April 25, 2016 at 7:19 pm

That’s your que to import whatever games aren’t region locked.

58. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 25, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Atlus in Europe becoming MORE difficult to work with? Hahahahah how.

59. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 25, 2016 at 7:35 pm

As usual, people here are blindly and dumbly bashing NISA without understanding how terrible this is for Europe.

60. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    April 25, 2016 at 7:36 pm

They changed something some time, so they’re evil. Also they put a joke in some game that someone was mad at because memes or something stupid. And some game had a bug.

NISA does solid work, ignore the people on this site. They would have you believe all localization companies except XSeed are garbage.

61. tuxdude143
    tuxdude143
    April 25, 2016 at 8:32 pm

As a European, fuck you atlus.
    I’m not blaming NISA for this TBH as it seems clear that Atlus are the ones at fault here and it pisses me off.
    I personally think that NISA are an excellent company (seriously what is everyones beef with them?) and that with atlus doing this they have just effectively shot themselves in the foot and it pisses me off.

Atlus just hates Europe in general basically. Both persona 3 and 4 on the ps2 were not optimized at ALL for PAL and not only were letterboxed but ran with slowdown as well. I dunno why atlus hates europe so much but… they just seem to.
    Either way, screw you atlus

62. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    April 25, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Given that a large chunk of NIS’s earnings recently came from their NISA branch, this is a big blow to them. I don’t like NISA as a localization company but they were at least competent when it came to distribution and publishing.

63. Patrick England (Shadoan)
    Patrick England (Shadoan)
    April 25, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Still want another SolatoRobo Game to be published west.

Also,
    Sorry all fellow gamers and anime lovers in Europe. IF you can still
    import games and other gear from sites like Play Asia, I hope you can
    get by. Otherwise, I’m sorry and hope you guys and gals can get past
    it.

64. NeoSkyte
    NeoSkyte
    April 25, 2016 at 9:49 pm

The beef with NISA is pretty much shoddy localization which makes the games unplayable. For example Ar Tonelico 2 Raki glitch, Hyperdimension Neptunia crashes when loading up leaderboards and Witch and the Hundred Knights (PS3 ver.) would crash randomly. Recently I had issues with their release with Rodea where audio doesn’t sync when I use the Japanese dub option though I think that was a one time glitch.

65. Dgnfly
    Dgnfly
    April 25, 2016 at 11:40 pm

You means you’d stoop as low as to buy a badly censored and translated game as long as you can feel good that you actually played a butchered version of it.

Sorry but i coulden’t give a fuck about ATLUS anyways consediring all their games are English dub only so for all i care they could choke in it together with those fans.

April 26, 2016 at 12:25 am

Enjoy your ghostlight games Dgnfly

67. TheManWithPants
    TheManWithPants
    April 26, 2016 at 12:27 am

Meanwhile in North America, all we got was the game itself, and Sonic Generations didn’t even come with a proper instruction manual. It was literally a 5 page leaflet.

68. landlock
    landlock
    April 26, 2016 at 3:13 am

SEGA can’t even be bothered to release there own titles in Europe. Don’t see them releasing most of Atlus’ titles in Europe either.

69. landlock
    landlock
    April 26, 2016 at 3:18 am

You guys make me laugh.

Angry that SJW’s are complaining about games and stopping them getting released at all in America.

Happy that Atlus and NISA have parted ways most likely meaning less games getting released in Europe in the future.

double standards.

70. Smug
    Smug
    April 26, 2016 at 6:32 am

“NISA does solid work”
    Quality is irregular and tends to be more on the bad side.

71. Smug
    Smug
    April 26, 2016 at 6:34 am

You may try your luck too with a japanese PS3 copy if you can read moonrunes.

72. Chino Gambino
    Chino Gambino
    April 26, 2016 at 8:01 am

No its not a double standard you idiot… This is a business decision that doesn’t affect content, SJWs attack our culture in order to prevent things being made/explored(self censorship) and pressure companies to censor artists. Not everyone is happy with NIS’ performance and would rather Sega sell the licences to other people. At the end of the day there was no meddling or coercion from gamers, this is two corporations having a disagreement over money.

Personally I would rather have no ‘localisation’ than a shoddy one or have its scripts laden with agenda.

73. landlock
    landlock
    April 26, 2016 at 8:12 am

Sorry stopped ready after the first sentence. It told me everything I needed to know about your post.

74. Bon Babab
    Bon Babab
    April 26, 2016 at 8:42 am

Yeah but that would require buying a second copy. Which I won’t do.

They could’ve and should’ve fixed it. Or hell, at least even try. Instead they just made a “casual mode” and called it a day.

75. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 26, 2016 at 9:58 am

FUCK OFF!
    Mods, PLEASE do something about this!
    I have flagged numerous times and reported but it does nothing.

76. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    April 26, 2016 at 10:27 am

I’ve actually noticed that even though it’s the same bot, it just makes a new Disqus account whenever it’s banned, so I don’t think anything can be done aside from ignoring it… :(

77. Dgnfly
    Dgnfly
    April 26, 2016 at 10:43 am

That’s why i know i’m never buying their games ever again considering that was way back. but atleast i’m not a apologist just for the sake of feeling good about oneself like you do.

With deluded excuses to buy a botched up release so now as an excuse your using my old games against me, atleast i have changed my view to a point i refuse to buy those.

78. Dgnfly
    Dgnfly
    April 26, 2016 at 10:52 am

I like how retarded you are by using profanity to sound like your the better person. all your are is a sad loser that would kiss anybody’s ass as long as he gets what he wants how about you go kiss the assas at ghostlight then so they might listen to you.

79. ekrow
    ekrow
    April 26, 2016 at 11:29 am

haha, jokes on you and it’s actually real and I’ve made $amount money already! I also got this nigerian price that e-mails me daily…

80. Obbliglol
    Obbliglol
    April 26, 2016 at 11:32 am

NISA are known for publishing the games with game-breaking glitches and bugs in them, brought about by their European localisation. Hopefully, what this means is that Sega want higher standards and will be publishing Atlus games themselves or will get someone like SquareEnix to do it (who published Persona 4). This might be a good thing as it means we get games that actually work properly. Ghostlight were guilty of this as well, all the way back to “Lucifer’s Call” being unplayable in 50HZ on PS2 (which was a region locked machine).

On the other hand this could be absolutely catastrophic. If Atlus/Sega chooses to be lazy with Europe (95% certainty), this could be a regression back to the 90’s where we missed out on some amazing games, like motherfucking Xenogears. I suppose the PS4 is region-free, but what a blow to European fans if this becomes reality.

Either way, a big, hearty fuck you to Atlus from me and most of Europe.

Fuck. You.

81. Smug
    Smug
    April 26, 2016 at 11:39 am

“baaaaaw he insulted me”

82. Smug
    Smug
    April 26, 2016 at 11:40 am

Jokes on you, I can read japanese

83. Smug
    Smug
    April 26, 2016 at 11:44 am

Reminder that Nich “Room for Everyone” Maragos, who is working at Treehouse, originally came from Atlus USA.

And DT2 with Atlus USA blaming ESRB as an excuse for the censorship, despite the rating board is not as harsh as everyone make it out to be.

That should tell you how deep the poison is

84. landlock
    landlock
    April 26, 2016 at 11:48 am

I wouldn’t call that being insulted. >.>

85. landlock
    landlock
    April 26, 2016 at 11:50 am

Hope you like less Atlus as well then.

86. Dark Link
    Dark Link
    April 26, 2016 at 11:58 am

10/10 post.

April 26, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I like to tease euro’s about games they won’t get, thank you for your time.

88. Dgnfly
    Dgnfly
    April 26, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Like i give a fuck! And i don’t even buy Fucking ATLUS games cause of dumb americans needing english dub or else they are to stupid to understand anything.

89. Chino Gambino
    Chino Gambino
    April 26, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I don’t care if you “ready” it, dolt. Fuck your lame gotcha.

90. Badmojo7
    Badmojo7
    April 26, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I am hoping sega will help convince ATLUS to start porting their games to PC.

91. Leandro Teixeira
    Leandro Teixeira
    April 26, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Try searching up Mugen Souls or Criminal Girls, that’s just the tip of the iceberg

92. Leandro Teixeira
    Leandro Teixeira
    April 26, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Atlus should make an EU branch, the Persona series are a huge hit in Europe, also XSEED is the american branch of Marvelous which is based on the UK, that’s why most of the times we get benefit from Marvelous/XSEED releases

93. Bon Babab
    Bon Babab
    April 27, 2016 at 5:15 am

Some XSEED localised games still get distributed by NISA in EU, such as Cold Steel.

94. Leandro Teixeira
    Leandro Teixeira
    April 27, 2016 at 10:30 am

That’s because The Legend of Heroes is produced by Nihon Falcom and not by Marvelous

95. Bon Babab
    Bon Babab
    April 28, 2016 at 4:30 am

That doesn’t mean that Marvelous couldn’t distribute them in the EU, does it?

96. Leandro Teixeira
    Leandro Teixeira
    April 28, 2016 at 12:22 pm

you are right but remenber, Marvelous UK mostly handles releases from Marvelous japan, XSEED was created has a branch to do that for them in America, aside from that XSEED is pretty much indepent from Marvelous

97. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    April 29, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Atlus was/is the one supplying the builds to the European publishers.
    And if something is wrong with the build or the build gets rejected by SCEE the publisher has to send it back with a list what needs fixing and wait (forever) for Atlus to supply them with a new build. P4A being an extreme example.
    This is one of the reason it takes so damn long for Atlus games to reach Europe and publishers don’t want to deal with these assclowns anymore.

98. Darkling
    Darkling
    July 3, 2016 at 5:36 am

look at Tokio mirage session and say that again