CD Projekt RED is Overhauling Dev Tools Prior to Beginning Work on Cyberpunk 2077

cyberpunk 2077 04-25-16-1

We’ve learned (via iDigitalTimes) that CD Projekt RED is completely redoing their development toolkit, prior to drumming up production on their next massive RPG, Cyberpunk 2077.

The topic came up when questioned whether or not The Witcher 3’s upcoming Blood and Wine expansion was the last we’d see of Geralt, at this year’s PAX East.

“To be honest, the politically correct answer is yes, it is sad [to finish Geralt’s story]. But the truth is that everyone is so insanely pumped about working on the next project, Cyberpunk 2077 ,” said Jose Teixeira, a visual effects artist for CD Projekt RED. “We’ve could’ve made a million expansions for The Witcher because there’s so many stories in that world but everyone is crazy excited about Cyberpunk 2077.

“The most important thing that’s happening at the moment is that the programmers are taking the feedback we gave them from working on The Witcher . As cliche as it sounds it was a big learning experience,” he said, while also pointing out that at the end of development, everyone had made a list of new dev tools they wanted. “The programmers are updating our software quite drastically.”

Chief among these new dev tools is a brand new visual effects editor, which Teixeira is quite enthralled about. He also teased that he’s more excited for Cyberpunk 2077 than he ever was for The Witcher 3.

“I immensely appreciate medieval fantasy games,” he said. “ But I don’t know what it is about Cyberpunk 2077 but it just clicks. There’s something about this game that just clicks with me and I’m really happy to be working on it.”

Cyberpunk 2077 is ambiguously set to release sometime before 2020, so it will be some time before we actually get the finished product in our hands, especially considering CD Projekt RED’s decision to work on new tool for its development.

1. Waswat
    Waswat
    April 25, 2016 at 8:40 am

_Beginning work_?? I thought it was already in development, considering all the hype surrounding it. Wow, people are really thirsty for cyberpunk. They should give DEX a try.

2. blackice85
    blackice85
    April 25, 2016 at 8:44 am

Maybe they’re just beginning the software development aspects?

3. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 9:32 am

Yeah, it clicks with me too for whatever reason. And I tend to not enjoy ARPGs that much. Even The Witcher 3 wasn’t really that revolutionary for me, at first I liked it, but then the fun waned down.

4. Nagato
    Nagato
    April 25, 2016 at 10:24 am

Gotta love bullshit announcements and plain false promises in order to help sell consoles so the more shorter-term project will release to a bigger potential audience.

Sony is particular is a master when it comes to this level of deception, parading around CGI trailers as actual gameplay for “games” that’ll never see the light of day, and dragging third parties on stage to announce big name projects that are just mere fantasies meant to sell hardware through listwars (Bioshock, DMC, Resi, etc).

April 25, 2016 at 10:34 am

Given how they are using their own engine it makes sense to take their time and upgrade it.

6. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    April 25, 2016 at 11:09 am

Yes.It has a great story though.That was worth it.

7. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    April 25, 2016 at 11:11 am

I hope that’s the case.

8. EH7
    EH7
    April 25, 2016 at 11:13 am

Well they still havent really shown us any gameplay footage to be hyped about it yet, i hear its big and thats all there is

9. IrisuTamarind
    IrisuTamarind
    April 25, 2016 at 11:17 am

2020 that’s a very long time ! i’m no more a fan of mmropg’s since they eat so much time and money but i always thought this would be a good game, but appearantly i can’t hold my interests for so long

10. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 11:32 am

My “Must collect everything” mentality, fucked the game for me.

11. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    April 25, 2016 at 11:39 am

Wait, so they released a teaser but are only now working on it?
    Why hype so long in advance?
    And also,
    > the Politically correct answer
    Stop, please.

12. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    April 25, 2016 at 12:29 pm

For me as well.And considering the stuff you collect is garbage you dismantle for parts in 99% of the cases that’s not very compelling.Raven’s armor quest from Witcher 1 was the way they should’ve went IMO.

13. Madbrainbox
    Madbrainbox
    April 25, 2016 at 12:50 pm

It will not be a MMO.

14. inquisitormcsagington
    inquisitormcsagington
    April 25, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Christ,at this rate it will be out in 2077.
    I personally think they showed their hand waaaay too early on this.

15. Narmy
    Narmy
    April 25, 2016 at 2:51 pm

>for whatever reason
    It’s the cyborg babes.

16. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 4:52 pm

OH, THAT MIGHT JUST BE IT.

No cyborg loli though.

17. Narmy
    Narmy
    April 25, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Oh man, I hope there is a good enough character creator to make one.

18. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    April 25, 2016 at 5:06 pm

You don’t think they’ll let us go that way now, do you? :^)

I meant other in-game chars though, but it wouldn’t be bad if we could make child-like characters, although I doubt it. I’m not even sure they’ll give us a character creator, or did you see something?

19. Narmy
    Narmy
    April 25, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Nah, I’m just assuming. It seems like a less story focused game than The Witcher, so I don’t see why they would use a set protagonist again. It’s based on a P&P RPG apparently, so it makes more sense that you would make your own character.

20. Truck
    Truck
    April 25, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Politically correct answer?

21. PossiblyCthulhu
    PossiblyCthulhu
    April 26, 2016 at 7:59 am

For people saying that it’s taking too long or be out in 3 years – I have been waiting 25 years for this game to move from my favourite RPG to PC, etc.
    I have so many sourcebooks, a dog-eared, pencil-in-the-margins copy of the 2020 core rulebook and they sit in the loft even now, and I honestly don’t think I’ll ever get rid of them. A couple more years won’t matter – just, please, CDPR when it’s released, give it it’s due and don’t mess it up

22. ShadowLink86
    ShadowLink86
    April 26, 2016 at 9:28 am

There is never enough Witcher III, CDPR.