Platinum Games CEO Tatsuya Minami Officially Resigns

tatsuya minami 04-21-16-1

While Platinum Games has become the go-to third party Japanese developer for creating slick, new games within an existing IP, the company’s CEO has stepped down from his position.

The news comes via a report over on GamesBusiness.jp, which states Minami left his position with the company at the end of last month.

While Kenichi Sato was nominated as his successor, Atsushi Inaba and Seigo Tabira will enter management of developer as company directors.

Considering the nature of the news – Minami’s departure with the company seems amicable – we’ll probably see him with another developer in the near future.

1. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    Shiggy Diggy Doo
    April 21, 2016 at 8:48 am

I wonder if he just disliked the idea of doing third party games with licensed property. I know I would.

2. Nevflinn
    Nevflinn
    April 21, 2016 at 9:14 am

He did an excellent job. I strongly hope this does not impact Platinum Games’ ambition or quality in a negative way.

3. Raspberry
    Raspberry
    April 21, 2016 at 9:26 am

Yep i would jump ship too, platinum gone downhill really fast. One creatively bankrupt licensed property game after another. With only Scalebound as their own game for 2017 and it’s a x1 exclusive. Looks like studio is seriously strapped for cash and have to do whatever they can find, with small development cycle and fast turnaround.

4. Caim
    Caim
    April 21, 2016 at 10:02 am

I think maybe the industry is just full of too much crap, you can’t make a game without people screaming sexism, you gotta cut parts out for DLC and I could go on, commerce and muh feels have made the industry more complicated then it needed to be.

5. Don Tworry
    Don Tworry
    April 21, 2016 at 10:39 am

I think you’re reading way too deep into it. Platinum is now a very trusted developer which turns out quality products in a timely manner without going over budget. Platinum is likely more mone than they ever did just making niche titles for people like Sega.

Minami likely just had different ideas as to where he wants his career to go.

6. Shiggy Diggy Doo
    Shiggy Diggy Doo
    April 21, 2016 at 11:25 am

Yeah honestly, this is the worst time of all to be in the industry. I even switched my whole life plan to be a code monkey in a regular office than be a wage slave with an expensive degree at some shit tier studio where I’ll get yelled at for putting a nice ass on someone.

What a shame, I had great plans for a great game. Current plan now is to bide my time until I can take out a nice loan at a bank and start my own studio, with blackjack and hookers.

7. Galbador
    Galbador
    April 21, 2016 at 11:27 am

This is kind of fishy. Why would he leave all of a sudden while making such great games? Platinum Games never had problems so far and now, all of a sudden, he leaves? I’m sorry, but I doubt that he just left like that. I simply can’t. There has to be a reason.

8. Derek
    Derek
    April 21, 2016 at 11:31 am

After the flop that is Star Fox Zero, I am not surprised.

9. TheCynicalReaper
    TheCynicalReaper
    April 21, 2016 at 11:34 am

uh oh
    UH OH
    HERE WE GO

THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS BEGINS: THE TERRIBLE END

April 21, 2016 at 11:54 am

Maybe one of the big 3 is planning to purchase Platinum?

11. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    April 21, 2016 at 11:58 am

might just be creative differences, since platinum has a decently sized focus on making licensed titles with activision at the moment

12. 2501
    2501
    April 21, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Platinum Games have been around for a decade now, he most likely left to follow his own personal venture in the business. Shinji Mikami left the same way and he was one of the founders of PG.

13. JoeSislack
    JoeSislack
    April 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Aside from other speculation, this is kinda what happens eventually to almost every developer, their talent leaves them. And sometimes, but not always, it means an eventual decline in quality.

14. Galbador
    Galbador
    April 21, 2016 at 1:48 pm

So nothing bad then. This is truly a wicked time, Kenshiro.

15. Galbador
    Galbador
    April 21, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Possible.

16. Galbador
    Galbador
    April 21, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I hope not… seriouly not!

17. Minuteworld92
    Minuteworld92
    April 21, 2016 at 2:37 pm

that’s sad

18. 2501
    2501
    April 21, 2016 at 5:21 pm

If you look at what experience they are trying to create in Scalebound, you can see why it’s their only new game at this time, they are trying to achieve something that the studio has never done before. That game might be the push for Platinum to get out of their comfort zone and into new territory.

19. Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    Γεώργιος Αρχαιοκαπηλίδης
    April 21, 2016 at 10:24 pm

I doubt if he cares about a minority’s opinion (regarding the sexism I mean).

20. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    April 22, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I hope Platinum maintain their high standards of quality and gameplay!

21. metalpants
    metalpants
    April 23, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Flop? I don’t see how. At least personally anyway… I don’t know anything about where the game’s at statistically, but I’ve been playing for a couple of days and I can’t get enough. It’s really well done gameplay-wise. A lot of fun. But I just speak for myself.