I Am Setsuna Could Get PS Vita Release if Fans Demand it Enough

project_setsuna_1

I Am Setsuna was recently announced to be coming west this summer with an exception: the PS Vita version would remain a Japan exclusive.

If you’re a disappointed Vita owner, there might be hope just yet. In a interview with US Gamer, I Am Setsuna director Atsushi Hashimoto went on record and said if there is a large enough demand, that they will consider bringing over the Vita version as well.

From the interview:

Of course, there is a large Vita market in Japan. If there is a swell of demand in North America [for the Vita version], though, we will consider it.

If you want your voice to be heard, your best bet is to contact them over on Square Enix’s Facebook and Twitter. European fans can also do the same thing over on Square Enix European Twitter.

I Am Setsuna will be launching this summer for the PS4 and PC.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    March 16, 2016 at 9:42 am

As a handheld gamer this news pleases me, but at the same time I feel like this decision is less because of the Vita market and more because of the poor quality of the Vita port in Japan, much like Yori no Nai Kuni.

2. SpecialK
    SpecialK
    March 16, 2016 at 9:52 am

I’m in on this. I’ll be purchasing both, Vita & PS4, if they are willing to do so. But only in physical format, so here’s hoping! Will post soon on SQEN’s FB page.

3. BasedWolf
    BasedWolf
    March 16, 2016 at 10:26 am

Even then it’s just a loading time issue, I can deal with that.

4. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    March 16, 2016 at 10:57 am

Ah, loading times. I still have PTSD from Chrono Trigger on the PS1 which needed to load every damn time you wanted to access the menu.

5. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    March 16, 2016 at 11:05 am

Protest enough and square will have to obey.

6. psycho_bandaid
    psycho_bandaid
    March 16, 2016 at 11:21 am

Sounds like they’re passing the buck to me. Instead of, “we don’t want to release a Vita version” they say they’ll bring it out if there is enough demand. Of course, since it’s not specified how much is enough, they can easily just ignore the Vita owners here and say “well we tried, but not enough people asked for it” no matter what the response is like.

7. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    March 16, 2016 at 11:32 am

Reggie’s Law: 100000 signatures doesn’t mean 100000 sales.

8. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    March 16, 2016 at 11:40 am

“I Am Setsuna Might Could”

I think Treehouse localized your title. Either Might/Could or choose one.

9. Alaka'i Lester
    Alaka'i Lester
    March 16, 2016 at 11:48 am

I hope it comes west for PSVita. I can’t really see myself playing this game on the PS4; otherwise, I’ll get on PC whenever it’ll be on sale.

10. Nagato
    Nagato
    March 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Guess they really tried to be as true as possible to Chrono Trigger by even implementing the bugs features of the PSX version here.

11. daggot △
    daggot △
    March 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Brother! I thought I was alone. Those load times were fucking terrible and lasted for-fucking-EVER.

12. Asuka
    Asuka
    March 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm

I real sick of Sony trying to force me into buying their home console so I can play handheld games on it.

13. Nagato
    Nagato
    March 16, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Thinking back to Type-0 HD’s announcement at E3 2014 – complete with the outrage and confusion resulting from the PS Blog’s errorneous confirmation of a Vita version – I’m not sure we can assume as much.

The system still had some shot at life back then too, and the campaign probably had that one Sony guy who mistakenly bragged about making the Vita version happen going for it as well (assuming he tried his darndest to rectify that mistake).

I don’t see Sony mitigating the risk and funding the proper QA of a Vita version themselves here either, seeing how they didn’t even when the FF brand was involved before either… or how they’d prefer to sell PS4’s instead.

14. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    March 16, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Good one. When SE announced Drakengard 3 would be digital only in Europe the comment sections on both the PS Blog and SE’s Blog were filled hundreds of pissed off reactions from Drakengard fans.

Even after the first announcement every post related to Drakengard 3 on both blogs would easily reach over a hundred pissed off comments.

So did they appologise and release the game psysical in Europe? Hell no. What they did was ship over some American Drakengard 3 LE’s , take out the disk and replace it with a download code while asking a premium for it.

Which in turn sparked an even larger backlash than the initial digital only announcement. In the end they still refused to release the damn game physically in Europe.

15. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    March 16, 2016 at 12:45 pm

No problem.

16. Tommy
    Tommy
    March 16, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Bring it over here

17. C4
    C4
    March 16, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Judging by that statement (and other publishers’) it’s because of the hardware sales in NA regions. Basically a numbers game without doing the math (since lots of Vita users like Japanese RPGs)

18. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 16, 2016 at 3:08 pm

For the Players.

19. AmyStarling
    AmyStarling
    March 16, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I must have missed the news of when Sony and Square Enix became one, thats the only explanation for your comment.

20. Joey
    Joey
    March 16, 2016 at 4:46 pm

It’s probably corporate BS and giving Vita owners false hope. I’ve sent my requests, but I can’t see it going anywhere.

21. Joey
    Joey
    March 16, 2016 at 4:47 pm

I don’t think Setsuna is as bad as Yoru no Nai Kuni.

Either way they should come out and confirm it, not doing so is misleading the consumer. People will get put off buying shitty ports. That’s mainly why the demand for the Vita version of Yoru no Nai Kuni has died down a bit.

22. bdp
    bdp
    March 16, 2016 at 5:14 pm

I own a vita and this is the reason why i’m not really upset over the lack of that version being announced for release. I’d rather have a smoother playing experience than another game to pad a specific game library so i’ll just grab it on pc.

23. bdp
    bdp
    March 16, 2016 at 5:15 pm

This isn’t the first game that’s had a PS4 and Vita version with only the PS4 version being released outside of japan.

24. Nagato
    Nagato
    March 16, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Well, there is still another version coming out in the West as well…

25. BasedWolf
    BasedWolf
    March 16, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I don’t think this is menu related just loading areas like entering and exiting a building, or leaving a town.

26. DizzyGear
    DizzyGear
    March 16, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I think it has more to do with the interview on OPrainfall and TK pulling a Ciel nosurge by staying silent on the subject since that twitter poll.

There’s been a Vita version teased over Twitter, are you considering a Vita version for the Western release?

From our sales strategy point of view, we would like focus efforts on PS4 sales.

Which honestly pisses me off more since he pretty much contradicts himself there because this is what he says in the previous question:

How much did Western demand for Nights of Azure influence the team when deciding if it should be localized?

We felt that we should localize this game regardless of Western demand, as we wanted to bring the new IP and gameplay style to as many audiences as possible

If he really wanted to bring the game to as many audiences as possible than why leave out the Vita owners and the thousands of people who still a have a PS3.

27. Sunny11
    Sunny11
    March 16, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Lol this has nothing to do with Sony its all Square Enix, they did it with Mana of Adventures and FF Type 0 aswell.
    Square Enix just doesn’t trust in Vita on west sales

28. Sunny11
    Sunny11
    March 16, 2016 at 9:39 pm

PS4, lots owners in west.
    Vita, little.

In Japan PS4, Vita owners roughly same.

If I was them from a business standpoint I’d just sell it to Japan vita owners but don’t bother wasting money putting it on Vita in West.

29. DDD-kun
    DDD-kun
    March 16, 2016 at 10:00 pm

And he didn’t happen to indicate any specific means of measuring or presenting that fan desire? I mean, after the incident with DOAX3, I’d be damned gun shy about putting up petitions or anything of the like.

30. DDD-kun
    DDD-kun
    March 16, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Statement falls apart when they can just reap from purely digital sales. Sales that will piss off those who ache for a physical, but won’t stop people from pursuing new IP.

But corporate never comes out and tells us what’s going on. All we can do is speculate.

31. DDD-kun
    DDD-kun
    March 16, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Yeah. There’s a reason I stopped doing business with Square-Enix, and this is part of it.

32. bdp
    bdp
    March 16, 2016 at 11:27 pm

They can easily do digital only releases for the vita to save money. They already did all the translation work for the PS4 so it’s not like there’s much extra money involved with using it for the Vita version.

33. Joey
    Joey
    March 17, 2016 at 11:29 am

Yes I did notice that interview. Another interpretation of that is in terms of bringing it to more people by territory, and not by platform. That is probably what he would use to counteract your point if he was asked those questions by yourself.

oprainfall should have grilled him more IMO. Perhaps ask if the poor quality of the Vita port is why it is Japan exclusive. Anything to get an answer as they’ve said nothing.

On the flipside, at least we are getting the game localised for one platform. Ciel Nosurge has basically been left to die. Shame as it is supposedly essential for understanding Arno’s world on a deeper level.

34. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    March 18, 2016 at 8:53 pm

It might be for the best. It sounds like the Vita version was a bit of a trainwreck.

35. Richard Miller