Rest Easy, The Pokemon Company Localizing Pokemon Sun and Moon with Game Freak

pokemon sun pokemon moon 02-26-16-1

Nintendo officially announced Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon this morning – however there were fan concerns over localization rights and the game’s transition from its original Japanese to its confirmed nine language options, following the debacle with Fire Emblem Fates.

I reached out to The Pokemon Company to clarify their role in the new games, and they reaffirmed they’re working on both games, alongside GAME FREAK:

“All core franchise titles are developed by GAME FREAK and localized internally with support from The Pokemon Company,” said a representative from the studio.

So as it has been in the past – GAME FREAK themselves are localizing the game alongside The Pokemon Company. It’s worth mentioning the representative did not comment on Fire Emblem Fates – they simply confirmed their input on the Pokemon games.

While no gameplay for the games were shown in its reveal, there were snippets of concept art and such. Are you guys excited for Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon? Sound off in the comments below!

, , ,

1. Obbliglol
    Obbliglol
    February 26, 2016 at 10:41 am

Sweet, that’s good to know.

2. Bob Omb
    Bob Omb
    February 26, 2016 at 10:42 am

nice attempt to create controversy out of literally nothing

3. Annie T. Mood
    Annie T. Mood
    February 26, 2016 at 10:42 am

Partially relieving.

4. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    February 26, 2016 at 10:44 am

Well then, I don’t know these guys but if they won’t “Treehouse” it, no problem.

5. Vcom7418
    Vcom7418
    February 26, 2016 at 10:50 am

That said, ORAS did have some memes, but fortunately they didn’t feel out of place, as they were the Pokemon memes
    Hilariously enough, it was the Skitty/Wailord meme the mentioned. Trust me, I died laughing. This will never stop being funny.

6. Vcom7418
    Vcom7418
    February 26, 2016 at 10:54 am

They localized every other Pokemon game.
    You liked the localization of ORAS? You’ll probably like this one. ANd they did a fantastic job translating X and Y.

7. Arenegeth
    Arenegeth
    February 26, 2016 at 10:59 am

Well is not like Treehouse would have managed to censor anything in a game primarily aimed at children. Not that Pokémon hasn’t dealt with censorship in the past mind you…

But I guess we’ll be avoiding any stupid meme references, err hopefully, since I’m pretty sure memes are a millennial thing more than a Treehouse thing.

I’m more excited that you can transfer your Gen 1 Pokés through the Bank, than the new games which we knew were coming anyway, and they didn’t really show anything about them.

Now to get my Pokémon R/B/Y saves from the PC to my 3DS, somebody will figure out a transfer tool if they can’t be copied directly.

8. Daryl Corey
    Daryl Corey
    February 26, 2016 at 11:02 am

Some awesome news I will probably get Moon when it comes out

9. Wonderkarp
    Wonderkarp
    February 26, 2016 at 11:07 am

I doubt Nintendo would let anybody mess with the localization of Pokemon. Unlike Fire Emblem, Pokemon is a Juggernaut of a franchise. That said, any memes could actually work, given its a lighthearted romp and not some medevil swords and sorcery war.

10. Clairity
    Clairity
    February 26, 2016 at 11:08 am

Probably the most tasteful way to reference a meme to be honest. Wait a while for a joke regarding the series to become “classic” and then put in a low key reference somewhere in a remake/sequel. Helps that HSOWA wasn’t driven into the ground like other memes, though.

11. Etherblaze
    Etherblaze
    February 26, 2016 at 11:15 am

Say it with me now.

SIMULTANEOUS WORLDWIDE RELEASE

More companies should do it. I means localizations are done internally during/near the end of the development.

And yep, I’m excited now.

February 26, 2016 at 11:15 am

If only the gaming media did its job properly and informed the consumer Fates wouldn’t be as successful and the Treehouse douchenozzles would actually face consequences for butchering the game.

13. Don Tworry
    Don Tworry
    February 26, 2016 at 11:24 am

The Pokemon localizing have always been pretty solid. Like I can remember “my body is ready” coming from random trainers and other dumb jokes but that’s about the only problem I find the translation.

And I guess that time they took out the gambling in HG/SS.

14. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 26, 2016 at 11:29 am

Yeah, but at least it’s rated and marketed as a kids game. Shit like Fire Emblem and XCX is not.

15. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 26, 2016 at 11:30 am

Good.I mean I know X/Y had some meme humor, but it was just some random trainer dialogue that you didn’t always see.

16. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 26, 2016 at 11:31 am

I don’t think that was their attempt. There are a lot of people really pissed with Treehouse and it’s disgusting localization habits right now.

17. Softclocks
    Softclocks
    February 26, 2016 at 11:32 am

Klepek is mad about this article.

What a loser.

18. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    February 26, 2016 at 11:40 am

He’d be doing us a favor even if he was doing just that, so fuck off.

19. WB1c_Marathon
    WB1c_Marathon
    February 26, 2016 at 11:43 am

Good, 8-4 and Treehouse could fuck up a wet dream if you put them behind it’s localization.

20. iamarchaeus
    iamarchaeus
    February 26, 2016 at 11:54 am

great- pokemon wont get raped

21. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    February 26, 2016 at 11:59 am

They’ll get petted instead.

22. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    February 26, 2016 at 12:01 pm

No that’s Jason “Sorceress is a lolicon fantasy” Schrier

23. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    February 26, 2016 at 12:03 pm

As much as I miss the slots I can accept that since A) that wasn’t some change only made in the localization process and B) it had to do with some legal shit in europe I think.

24. Mangowannabango
    Mangowannabango
    February 26, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Im lost, whats so disgusting about their localization habits?

25. Guin
    Guin
    February 26, 2016 at 12:08 pm

This is a non-issue to begin with. The worst that will happen is the swimmer class getting a full body wetsuit which is nothing compared to Censored Emblem.

26. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    February 26, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I wasn’t really worried about something like this in the first place either but at the same time I think the fact that people felt the need to ask says a lot about the current state of Nintendo’s localization process.

27. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    February 26, 2016 at 12:13 pm

You’re in for a wild ride buddy

28. scemar
    scemar
    February 26, 2016 at 12:14 pm

REST IN PEPPERONI GAME CORNER
    NEVAR FORGET
    GRIND YO PORYGON

29. Black_Bob
    Black_Bob
    February 26, 2016 at 12:17 pm

What are you even talking about?

30. Joey
    Joey
    February 26, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Unnessecary censorship, rewriting dialogue to change characters personalities and conversations including the addition of memes alongside digital only releases in soem cases.

It’re more NoA Treehouse than NoE, but Nintendo are pretty bad now.

31. Travis Touchdown
    Travis Touchdown
    February 26, 2016 at 12:40 pm

You guys are such frauds. No real fan cares about slight changes to dialogue. It’s a perfectly normal practice that the Pokemon company will follow to the letter.

Or do you think the Treehouse is going to just strong arm the Pokemon company into removing ‘problematic’ content from their translation?

32. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    February 26, 2016 at 12:42 pm

That’s a better one.

33. Suraimu
    Suraimu
    February 26, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Why is this news, the pokemon company has been the ones to localize every single pokemon game since 1995.
    And X/Y had memes in the english version so this doesnt guarantee anything.
    Clickbait much?

34. deadeye
    deadeye
    February 26, 2016 at 12:56 pm

They’re the closest thing to being the 4kids of the video game industry. Although not quite that bad.

I wouldn’t call a lot of what they do “censorship” (although there is some), what they mostly do is just pretty terrible localizations.

They are completely inept at writing characters that don’t have some single defining trait for them to latch on to. In cases like this, they often just make up some character trait, like in Fire Emblem Fates the guy that’s obsessed with pickles for no reason at all. Everyone talks in a very casual, quirky manor, regardless of their actual personality or the tone of the scene.

Play multiple NoA localized games at once, and you’ll see that characters talk almost exactly the same. Dialogue feels the same, scripts have the same feeling to them. Not to mention all of the forced meme references.

So basically, they are either just not very good at their job and this is the only way they know how to write, or they are doing this intentionally to make every single game feel exactly the same.

Also, they’re just not very interested in localizing games that aren’t mainstream. Getting them to bring over Xenoblade Chronicles was like pulling teeth. Even though the game was released by Nintendo of Europe with a complete english script and english voice acting, Treehouse just didn’t want to. When they eventually did, they didn’t even want to pay to have the game printed and shipped. They got Gamestop to do it, so then that was the only retailer you could get it from.

Also, from this deal, NoA can’t release Xenoblade on the VC. It’s on the european VC though.

Then there was the complete assassination of Fatal Frame 5. I’m not even talking about the censorship. They decided to release the game digital only. Okay, that’s fine, I guess. Only problem is that the game is too big to fit on the Wii U’s hard drive. So you had to have a separate hard drive, which very few Wii U owners have, and are probably not gonna get for just one game.

Honestly, what censorship they do is the smallest issue they have.

Why Nintendo HQ puts up with them, I have no idea. Nintendo of Europe is fantastic by comparison. Only thing I can think of is that NoA is run autonomously and the folks back in Japan are just not aware of the problem.

35. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    February 26, 2016 at 1:26 pm

The whole gay conversion misunderstand started because an asshole in Destructoid deliberately spread false news about the scenes for clickbait purposes. Then when the game comes out they give it a 9 out of 10 and completely ignore other flaws saying “You just mad cause you can’t pat characters anymore”.

Journalism is dead.

Also “you just mad cause you can’t pat waifus” is the new “you just mad cause Dante’s hair is not white”.

36. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 26, 2016 at 1:28 pm

According to resident shit stain at Shitaku, Patrick Keplek, it’s bad that we want the games we want to be play to be treated with respect and translated well.

37. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 26, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Nah, that was Schreier, but it’s funny to see someone at Shitaku butthurt over the fact that we want a game to be translated and localized well because we want to buy it.

38. Fear Me I Am Free
    Fear Me I Am Free
    February 26, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Well they employ people who don’t know what the hell they are doing.

39. King of Zeroes
    King of Zeroes
    February 26, 2016 at 1:50 pm

But can I headpat my Pokemon?

40. Joey
    Joey
    February 26, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Makes me glad I live in Europe. At least we are guarenteed physical releases, limited editions and good qualtiy localisations. It’s only censorship that’s really the issue, and when NoE use NoA’s localisations.

February 26, 2016 at 1:51 pm

DmC Dante is my trigger.

February 26, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Always down for some pokemon.

43. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    February 26, 2016 at 2:02 pm

NoE still makes localizations?

44. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 26, 2016 at 2:04 pm

The ironic part about the censorship of sexuality is that NoA will allow you to run around with underage characters wearing extremely short skirts (Diamond and Pearl) and booty shorts via Black and White. -_-

45. James
    James
    February 26, 2016 at 2:12 pm

What does being a “real fan” entail?
    As a “real fan” of a franchise or a particular developer, I want to play exactly what that developer envisioned; obscure references to foreign cultures and all.
    Anything else means that the game the developer intended gets diluted by third parties changing bullshit.

46. chaoguy
    February 26, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Seeing that guy in ORAS was heartbreaking. “Times are changing” indeed. And not for the better.

How better to teach kids the dangers of gambling than in an environment where they can’t loose IRL money.

47. James
    James
    February 26, 2016 at 2:14 pm

It’s valid news given the current climate where localisation companies are fucking up games horrifically.

48. chaoguy
    February 26, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Wow I didn’t even realize that. Providing they put Pokemon Reorchestrated back up, and the re-balance the combat I might grab it.

49. chaoguy
    February 26, 2016 at 2:20 pm

I know there’s only been 3 comments, but it seems like Klepek’s lapdogs/fanboys have take offense to this article. Keep an eye on the comment sections for a few days, and who says what.

Lurkers learn.
    Shills don’t change what they push.

50. CC
    CC
    February 26, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Yup. They are very very tight on gambling laws there. Which makes even more people wonder what the fuck Konami was thinking. “thinking”

51. CC
    CC
    February 26, 2016 at 2:42 pm

“Sight changes” =/= removing entire dialogues, altering characterization, and fucking up internal consistency. Granted, it’s not like Treehouse WOULD suddenly be involved with Pokemon as they haven’t before, but it was a fantastic barb. U mad brah?

52. snugdarkly
    snugdarkly
    February 26, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Every other pokemon game is already censored anyway. Why would that change?

53. StrongStyleFiction
    StrongStyleFiction
    February 26, 2016 at 3:02 pm

A Kotaku writer mad about consumers being informed. I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

54. Experiment #626
    Experiment #626
    February 26, 2016 at 3:15 pm

55. Jimmie Rustles
    Jimmie Rustles
    February 26, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Hey now, nothing against my 200 year old loli waifus

56. sheeshur
    sheeshur
    February 26, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Congrats, you triggered Topkek and Cucktaku

57. Dakt
    Dakt
    February 26, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Pretty sure TPC have always done the localisations, and they’ve always been pretty messed up, and will continue to be pretty messed up. As angry as people are about memes, at the end of the day, TPC have replaced shitty japanese memes with shitty american memes since Gen 4. Treehouse were never in the equation.

58. Cats736
    Cats736
    February 26, 2016 at 3:24 pm

A “real fan” would indeed care, a “real fan” wouldn’t want the games they are fans of treated and handled like shit.

59. Go D. Usopp
    Go D. Usopp
    February 26, 2016 at 3:24 pm

How much do you wanna bet he’s fucking someone at Treehouse?

60. Master Bating
    Master Bating
    February 26, 2016 at 3:30 pm

People keep bothering them with this, maybe they will listen.

61. darkgamer001
    darkgamer001
    February 26, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Real fans = hive mind mentality where all fans have the exact same beliefs on issues, usually revolving around bowing down to anything the company says and dismissing any criticism in the most aggressive way possible.

62. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    February 26, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Memes don’t work outside of an internet setting, do you even know anyone that uses them in real life?

63. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    February 26, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Will there ever be a Hipsters vs. Gangsters movie?

64. Hirasugi
    Hirasugi
    February 26, 2016 at 3:44 pm

how can you as a journalist discourage informing the public!? That is your ONE JOB Klepek! Game Journalism is the biggest joke at this point.

65. Daryl Corey
    Daryl Corey
    February 26, 2016 at 3:58 pm

yes but replacing a shitty meme that translates to gibberish to a shitty meme that makes sense is not the same as replacing meaningful dialogue and plot points with shitty memes which is the Treehouse way

66. アントナント
    アントナント
    February 26, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Less memey, more halal :^)

February 26, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Well that’s some stuff for my nightmares.

February 26, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Jason “Objectivity is a silly thing to strive for” Schreier? II know about him.

69. ty2010
    ty2010
    February 26, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Memes are the basis of advertisement and politics, see handbills from the 1700s, they were their own major art form by the late 1800s.

February 26, 2016 at 4:07 pm

He may be salty because people know that SJWs like him are responsible for the state of gaming in general.

71. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    February 26, 2016 at 4:14 pm

I’d bet against it.

After all, that requires he be having sex, and we know these people never get it.

He definitely wants to though.

72. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    February 26, 2016 at 4:14 pm

But can I actually change my language mid game this time?

73. Joey
    Joey
    February 26, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Yeah they did Project Zero 5. They were the ones who censored that. They also translate themselves, hence why there was no doge meme in the PAL version of Tri Force Heroes.

74. Mighty No. 56008
    Mighty No. 56008
    February 26, 2016 at 4:22 pm

The sad new normal? People who are responsible for translations and localizations can control what content stays in or gets taken out.

That’s why people care.

75. scemar
    scemar
    February 26, 2016 at 4:24 pm

I for one consider this tweet a very positive thing.
    It means people are realizing what is happening.
    It means something is happening!

And I’d answer that yes, it is the new normal.
    We can thank the internet for it, more people, more connections, more information flow.

Now fans can find out and share the information more efficiently.
    And one such type of information is, who is translating it?

A good journalist would delve deeper into the matter, try to find out who are the people doing all the digging, and why is the community growing more and more interested on the matter.

76. scemar
    scemar
    February 26, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Kids have it so much better now.

Hey there young fella.
    Try out these new “free” games on your mom’s old phone! It’s got all the cartoons you love.
    You can gamble your jibberwabbles for jaggypieces and if you need extra jibberwabbles, buy some happy gems for $1.99 at our happy gem store.

77. Go D. Usopp
    Go D. Usopp
    February 26, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Probably closer to the truth

78. scemar
    scemar
    February 26, 2016 at 4:28 pm

It’s ironic that the one game we do get a simultaneous release is the one game where the story doesn’t even exist so there’s no benefit when it comes to avoiding spoilers and what not.

And I am aware that is not what ironic means.

79. scemar
    scemar
    February 26, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Europe ruined it for everyone else.

80. scemar
    scemar
    February 26, 2016 at 4:29 pm

First comment on the “leaks” was about the topic.
    So yes, the people care.

81. scemar
    scemar
    February 26, 2016 at 4:32 pm

I saw this one posted around.

Apparently there’s a slow development in their relationship and they go from silence to actually talking to each other, it’s subtle, but it’s part of the characterization.

We can’t have silence and all that boring stuff in the west tho, insert random jokes instead.

82. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    February 26, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Er, that would more likely than not be Game Freak and Pokemon Co. They’ve pretty much exclusively handled the main series, so they don’t seem too keen on letting anybody else mess with it.

That said, most NPCs in the series often have something weird or downright silly to say. They’ve actually created memes themselves with lines like “I like shorts”, so some memes wouldn’t exactly be out of place.

I wouldn’t want to see something like “YOLO” put in, but I could definitely see a bodybuilder or fighter saying “my body is ready” for example.

83. Rumble Red
    Rumble Red
    February 26, 2016 at 4:40 pm

“Blacky” for Umbreon is still my favourite. Doesn’t even have the excuse of being Gen I, either.

Then again, some of ours have been pretty weak too. I still have trouble believing Sawk and Throh aren’t fake names.

84. におに
    におに
    February 26, 2016 at 4:53 pm

“Rest Easy?” The Pokemon localization have always been liberal as all heck though. Isn’t “Pikachu” like the only character/Pokemon in any of those games with it’s original name kept in tact?

85. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    February 26, 2016 at 5:12 pm

A suprising number actually keep their names.

The Pokemon name changes are because the original names were all (VERY bad) puns, pretty much the only place where such changes are acceptable. Many of them are just thinking using English words were clever (like Thunder and Thunders, two seperate and unrelated Pokemon).

That’s not even something they got all that better at, this gen there was Orotto (大/おお/oo/big and rot. Yes, that’s literally the entire name)

Other elements of the translations are still pretty questionable though.

86. SuuLoliBoob
    SuuLoliBoob
    February 26, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Memes are working out for porn, tho.

edited heavily to make it less NSFW but i don’t think anyone should still watch this at their work, but in the safety of their home, enjoy Meme Lovers!

87. におに
    におに
    February 26, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Alright then. The Pokemon’s name changes I can sort of understand in that context, but the character name less so, like going from “Sana” to “Shauna”, or “Kasumi” to “Misty”. Changes that seem like they were made for the soul purpose of not having it be “too Japanese.”

88. Uncle Slick
    Uncle Slick
    February 26, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Pretty sure anyone posting on nichegamer never gets it, either :^)

89. MonsterGogo
    MonsterGogo
    February 26, 2016 at 6:01 pm

But who’s going to replace Pokemon Amie with dank memes now, though??

90. Nagato
    Nagato
    February 26, 2016 at 6:12 pm

These guys’ comments are proof enough to me that Brandon’s doing the right thing.

91. アントナント
    アントナント
    February 26, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I wouldnt even bother personally
    3DPD not even once

92. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    February 26, 2016 at 6:34 pm

You can play with their tits and rub their groins.

93. Meteor
    Meteor
    February 26, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Fuck those gamer haters.

94. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    February 26, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Likewise. As much as it is a headscratch for monsters to be renamed (which is fine since they are all silly – often bad – puns anyway in all languages) to suddenly all say whatever they were called, that’s cool in comparison to replacing a lot of names though most characters don’t make lasting impressions.

95. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    February 26, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Detective Pikachu is one of those weird kana and kana option only ones right? Not great in comparison to furigana, but tolerable enough.

Gekkouga is great… Greninja is pretty cool too.

Lizardon (Charizard)… Um… Perhaps the Japanese names got more creative with time as well.

In practice, I’ll want to learn at least the Japanese and English names of each one I care about though.

96. thatguyEZ
    thatguyEZ
    February 26, 2016 at 6:57 pm

And that’s why I won’t be picking up a NX if it’s region locked.

97. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    February 26, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Or Fatal Frame 5. When M/18+ games can’t escape it and Nintendo doesn’t get enough of those (Bayonetta and Devil’s Third are the highlights). It is hard to be sure about the rest.

98. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    February 26, 2016 at 7:01 pm

This video probably mentioned it (watching it later) but there are plenty of names which the game forces you not to use even if the game features characters with the exact same name.

Censorship is the art of contradictions perhaps.

99. Jettythesunfish
    Jettythesunfish
    February 26, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Speak for yourself. I’m a fan and I definitely care.

100. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    February 26, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Take this as a badge of honor, Brandon. Fuck these guys and keep on keeping on.

101. 萌えゲー
    萌えゲー
    February 26, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Just look at how much worse the localization of Fates was from Awakening. That alone should tell you how easy it is for a franchise to be ruined under different localizers.

102. アントナント
    アントナント
    February 26, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Let the salt flow

103. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    February 26, 2016 at 7:10 pm

I honestly am surprised that this is the first thing that people are worried about after the announcement of Pokemon Sun/Moon, but I’m still glad to know TPC will be handling the affairs, not some 3rd party filled with SJW trash.

Thanks for the article, Niche Gamer.

104. 萌えゲー
    萌えゲー
    February 26, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Literally my only complaint. If more Japanese games had furigana, I feel like the amount of overseas gamers importing would grow tremendously.

105. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    February 26, 2016 at 7:27 pm

His salty tears are delicious. The tears of someone who once called for a blacklist of a fellow journo for wrongthink.

106. Anon630
    Anon630
    February 26, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Breeding Pokemon makes you a rape apologist. #writeakotakuarticle

107. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    February 26, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, Jason “Ebola” Schreier.

108. Random Dude
    Random Dude
    February 26, 2016 at 7:44 pm

*insert Devil Trigger joke here*

109. Hearthwing
    Hearthwing
    February 26, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I would rather the treehouse do it. They are fantastic.

110. scemar
    scemar
    February 26, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Of course

Can you smell their fear?
    They must have memos going around about it.

Someone’s saying the things we’ve been too cuck to ever dare say! The things we’ve tried to stop the community from discussing!

And they have readers!

This is their nightmare.

111. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 26, 2016 at 8:03 pm

You’re doing awesome Brandon keep the good work!

112. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 26, 2016 at 8:05 pm

And apologists like this are making things worse

113. Ubrokemygrill?
    Ubrokemygrill?
    February 26, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Please. Patrick couldn’t talk his way into Gorilla Hernandez’s pants if she took them off.

114. Ubrokemygrill?
    Ubrokemygrill?
    February 26, 2016 at 8:10 pm

What’s wrong Patrick? You of all people should be able to sniff out bullshit when you see it.

115. におに
    におに
    February 26, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Sana’s fan art sure did make a lasting impression on me.

116. Ubrokemygrill?
    Ubrokemygrill?
    February 26, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Never forget the nuke kamitani dropped on Schreier.

117. Narmy
    Narmy
    February 26, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Yeah, whether it’s Treehouse or not, it’s not a series I wish to support.

118. Original Dyalibya
    Original Dyalibya
    February 26, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Ill take that wager, no human could willingly fuck Patrick Keplek

119. Original Dyalibya
    Original Dyalibya
    February 26, 2016 at 8:40 pm

I still want him to answer for that

120. Casey
    Casey
    February 26, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Naw, you see, he works at kotaku which means he’s neck deep in shit, and when you live around it long enough, you can’t smell it anymore.

121. Suraimu
    Suraimu
    February 26, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Not really, its not news period.
    And localization companies are not fucking up games anymore than they were 30 years ago.

February 26, 2016 at 11:10 pm

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.

February 26, 2016 at 11:11 pm

#jynxlivesmatter

124. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    February 26, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Who is this guy?

125. Philip Weigel
    Philip Weigel
    February 26, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Literally Mu

126. Philip Weigel
    Philip Weigel
    February 26, 2016 at 11:28 pm

I think that shitstain should look at the anime community, after 4Kids got their greasy mitts on One Piece, everyone was like “who’s doing the translation of this hot new anime? Please not 4Kids!” every time an anime was announced to come to the west.

So, congrats, Nintendo Treehouse, it took you one game to gain the same reputation as 4Kids, and they had years to build it up.

127. Philip Weigel
    Philip Weigel
    February 26, 2016 at 11:31 pm

If it’s Eva (Negima) or Sasami (Tenchi Muyo OVA), then yes?

128. Philip Weigel
    Philip Weigel
    February 26, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Well, X and Y, you HAD to capture the storyline legendaries.

…Maybe you did in Gen 5 as well? IDK.

Man, Mewtwo was SO easy to capture in Y, just one Quick Ball and done.

129. Psichaos
    Psichaos
    February 26, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I guarantee Airport’s Law is in full effect.

130. Philip Weigel
    Philip Weigel
    February 26, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Hilda and Rosa are my two favorite female leads for that reason.

Especially Hilda, she bent over in Black and White when throwing a Pokeball out.

131. Philip Weigel
    Philip Weigel
    February 26, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Glad I don’t need to do anything about Global Warming.

1: I can’t make China stop polluting.
    2: Satellite and Balloon data aren’t showing the mass warming trends.
    3: I’d rather fight something I have a small chance to win.
    4: ???
    5: Profit
    6: There is only Nu
    7: This list should have stopped at 2.
    8: Maybe 3.
    9: Who else misses Jon Stewart?
    10: Disney is evil and should not get any money, pirate all the movies.

132. RamblingManIX
    RamblingManIX
    February 26, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Maybe FE should become an international release. It seems international releases encourage more intimate developer involvement in localization. Currently, it seems as though Intelligent Systems was not very involved, if involved at all, in the localization of FE: F.

133. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    February 26, 2016 at 11:49 pm

All he’s doing is getting niche gamer more publicity so hey, thanks Patrick. XD

134. Ubrokemygrill?
    Ubrokemygrill?
    February 27, 2016 at 3:05 am

People are worried about the alarming trends in the west right now.
    Frauds my ass.

135. Cats736
    Cats736
    February 27, 2016 at 3:13 am

#purpleface

136. Ubrokemygrill?
    Ubrokemygrill?
    February 27, 2016 at 3:16 am

People are rightly concerned with the rising trend of butchering games in the west. That’s why this was written. “Just how far can this bullshit spread?” What most people here are thinking.

137. NeoTechni
    NeoTechni
    February 27, 2016 at 4:03 am

You mean like treehouse removing head patting?

138. NeoTechni
    NeoTechni
    February 27, 2016 at 4:04 am

TIL removing 2000 lines of dialog is slight.

139. Erfytu Jiojio
    Erfytu Jiojio
    February 27, 2016 at 5:29 am

Thank fucking god!

140. アントナント
    アントナント
    February 27, 2016 at 5:46 am

We need more artists and devs telling internet bullies to fuck off

141. アントナント
    アントナント
    February 27, 2016 at 5:48 am

Are you living under a rock?

142. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    February 27, 2016 at 5:50 am

If I see that meme skeleton one more time…

143. Stilzkin
    Stilzkin
    February 27, 2016 at 5:59 am

It got better, but now it’s getting worse again

144. Sylveria Shini
    Sylveria Shini
    February 27, 2016 at 6:48 am

THere’s a pretty big difference to replacing shitty japanese memes and puns with shitty american memes and puns and replacing character development and characteristics that weren’t meant to be lulzy dank memes with shitty memes and puns.

145. CoarseHock
    CoarseHock
    February 27, 2016 at 7:37 am

Remember they’re journalists when they want to be taken seriously, but bloggers when there are any repercussions for acting unprofessionally.

146. アントナント
    アントナント
    February 27, 2016 at 8:48 am

“Nintendo of Europe is fantastic by comparison”
    In your fucking dreams

147. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:18 am

Just wait until next month when the sales dry up.
    And even if they don’t, the companies reputation will take a hit- at least with those expecting a decent fantasy setting.

Hell, even Japan knows shits FUBAR:

Which kind of cements in that NoJ fully know what NoA is doing, and just don’t care.

148. NeoSkyte
    NeoSkyte
    February 27, 2016 at 11:19 am

It took 3 games to ruin Treehouse’s reputation. Fatal Frame Black Maiden, Xenoblade Chronicles X and now Fire Emblem Fates the latter being the worse one.

149. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:19 am

Almost seems like another GJP has sprung up. Just far less organized, and on Twitter.

150. NeoSkyte
    NeoSkyte
    February 27, 2016 at 11:24 am

Well that’s because they actually put in the literal translation of the Japanese text which leads to some hilarious quotes. Still I love how they still reference those in newer games.

151. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:29 am

Actually, you raise a good point.
    How did word spread so fast?
    Was it just that _every_ anime community was asking about it?

152. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:34 am

For those who want to be “surprised” about the new pokes, it kind of makes sense.

Otherwise, it’s just a PR move to emphasis “we’re a global company helping people connect for world peace” or some tosh.

153. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:36 am

It does take you out of it.
    I wouldn’t say “immersed”, but seeing a meme from 5 years ago reminds you it was worked on by a guy who’s out of date with the internet, and that you know far too much, and that you’ve wasted your life because of the roll of the dice or the actions of your peers, condemning you to your own solitary abyss.

But not everyone feels like that.

154. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:37 am

Or pick up one from another region that can run Asia-English.

155. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:43 am

And guess who someone at Treehouse gives money to.
    Similar ideologies, or was it also planned?

156. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:45 am

Which makes it weirder. Throw in a an NPC with “a very special side-quest” about the dangers of gambling and that’d cover it. Right?

157. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:46 am

Meanwhile, in ORAS French, Brawly references Lord Helix (meditating with a Helix Fossil). THat was less than 6 months after Twitch Plays Pokemon.

158. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 11:49 am

Can we get Niche to cover what Bravely Second screwed up?

Also, it TorrentialDownpour JUST for Fire Emblem: Fates, or all bad localization?

159. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 27, 2016 at 12:18 pm

So should I still continue to send Nintendo of Japan letters?

160. chaoguy
    February 27, 2016 at 12:56 pm

161. Guin
    Guin
    February 27, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I understand the grievances and am mostly on your camp, but consider the fact that how the Pokemon Company alters content in their games is not to the level of Treehouse. Yeah, stuff like Jinx is just plain dumb, but even Game Freak themselves are aware as to how to cater to their intended audience which are kids. I think we’ll be safe from having female trainers wear burqas though so don’t go pulling out pitchforks just yet.

162. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 27, 2016 at 1:33 pm

It should be for ALL bad localization practices in gaming.

163. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    February 27, 2016 at 1:43 pm

I understand your concern but isn’t that what the nickname feature for? None of the Pokemon’s names are set in stone.

164. Philip Weigel
    Philip Weigel
    February 27, 2016 at 1:53 pm

4chan, GameFAQs and other websites have HUGE anime sections, it helps to quickly spread information.

165. Philip Weigel
    Philip Weigel
    February 27, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Oh yeah, barely remembered those other two games.

I knew there was a reason I wasn’t playing XCX.

166. Dakt
    Dakt
    February 27, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Treehouse have nothing to do with Pokemon.

167. Dakt
    Dakt
    February 27, 2016 at 2:22 pm

…Treehouse have nothing to do with Pokemon.

168. rBeowulf
    rBeowulf
    February 27, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Thank. Fucking. God.

169. Daryl Corey
    Daryl Corey
    February 27, 2016 at 5:24 pm

170. VLX
    VLX
    February 27, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I’m glad, they deserve a far larger audience than anything he’s written.

171. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    February 27, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Yeah, I know its due to the translation, which means even the original version will have some rather interesting comments directed at you as well. The series usually isn’t all that serious with it’s dialog.

172. gerton shref
    gerton shref
    February 27, 2016 at 7:59 pm

definitely not excited. nintendo has burned us one time too many for my taste.

173. Jay
    Jay
    February 27, 2016 at 8:34 pm

The new normal? Consumers wanting to know who contributes what to products they purchase!?
    Heaven forbid!

174. Jay
    Jay
    February 27, 2016 at 8:48 pm

-Journalist actually informing readers about who is involved with the products they buy
    -“Interesting”

Of course it would be “interesting” to Klepek, if not downright alien. It’s probably the first time he’s ever seen a journalist with the consumer’s interests in mind. Guess I can’t blame him though. Seeing as how his job is to play pretend “journalist” I doubt he’d know the first thing about consumer interest.

175. Shinobu
    Shinobu
    February 27, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Says the guy with the Undertail avatar.

176. Shinobu
    Shinobu
    February 27, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Nothing about a Pokemon game would ever give me cause for concern when it comes to censoring and translation. I guess about the only thing one could worry about is an over abundance of memes.

177. Sylveria Shini
    Sylveria Shini
    February 27, 2016 at 10:46 pm

I never said they did. I compared when it is appropriate to do stupid, meme things in a game and when its not.

178. XERW
    XERW
    February 28, 2016 at 3:17 am

This. Really funny way to dump responsibility every time someone asks

179. Obbliglol
    Obbliglol
    February 28, 2016 at 3:45 am

God, he makes me sick. Say what you fucking mean! I can’t stand passive-aggressive Twitter bullshit. Regardless of your views on FE or Nintendo or whatever, Treehouse are *not* good at localizing.

180. XERW
    XERW
    February 28, 2016 at 4:03 am

Judging by Nintendo’s track record…. I’d say it’s locked – it’s always locked.

*sigh*

SNES, N64, GC, Wii, 3DS, WiiU… and soon NX.

181. Dakt
    Dakt
    February 28, 2016 at 1:19 pm

The article implies that Treehouse at one point did

182. Ero-Sennin
    Ero-Sennin
    February 28, 2016 at 1:19 pm

This was a given.

183. benzene
    benzene
    February 29, 2016 at 10:17 am

Censoring or just plain “localizing” of Pokemon anime was so egregious, there were sites dedicated to it.

184. chaoguy
    February 29, 2016 at 1:22 pm

After GG, a lot of online communities shifted. Either with them or against them (either SJW mods ban discussion, or well meaning mods ban discussion to prevent flame wars thereby attracting SJWs).
    4chan doesn’t care about censorship (“You’re just a Gamergater”), and they even banned someone for posting leaked screenshots of Doom 4.
    GameFAQs I’ve always heard has had a casual/bad reputation, but who knows.

If they ban you for discussing it, move on… But also tell others that you got banned for taking about it. It creates a Streisand Effect. :)

185. Jack Omally
    Jack Omally
    March 4, 2016 at 6:19 pm

That guy is a supreme smug douchbag. In all honestly what does he do.

186. Jack Omally
    Jack Omally
    March 4, 2016 at 6:23 pm

This is great. Love that you guys are doing this. With “localization” turning bad i hope that you guys will do more of these