Agatsuma Entertainment Closes Their Doors

sayonara umihara kawase 03-26-15-1

Agatsuma Entertainment has announced they’ll be closing their doors.

The Umihara Kawase trilogy and Code of Princess developer confirmed the unfortunate news via a press release, which tells us a bit more regarding their financial troubles.

Agatsuma stated that administrative conditions have worsened, making it increasingly difficult to ensure their games division will bring in profits. Coming from this, Agatsuma Entertainment would be disbanded or liquidated, with the goal being to strengthen the corporate group’s earning prowess, securing new growth.

Finally, Agatsuma Entertainment has officially stopped operations as of today, December 11th, and will be fully liquidated on March 31st of next year.

Thanks, Gematsu

1. deadeye
    deadeye
    December 11, 2015 at 3:12 pm

That’s a shame. I haven’t yet played the Umihara Kawase games, but I think I’m gonna be picking them up soon.

2. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    December 11, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Cod of Princess looked really fun. Seeing they only made 4 games it was probably more backstage shenanigans than their games not selling very well. Since they seemed like budget titles.

3. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    December 11, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I never played Umihara Kawase, but Code of Princess was one of the worst games I’ve ever had the displeasure of experiencing. If I had to judge their merits solely based on that one title, I’d say they thoroughly deserve this.

4. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    December 11, 2015 at 3:15 pm

They apparently only made the last one.

5. Azure
    Azure
    December 11, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Well from what I saw they were making a very niche product. Which either hits hard or barely makes even.

6. bf313
    bf313
    December 11, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Can’t say i’m interested in the Umijara Kawase games but Code of Princess was pretty enjoyable. Bummer they couldn’t stay afloat.

7. Para-Medic
    Para-Medic
    December 11, 2015 at 3:28 pm

The Umihara trilogy just came to Steam, they didn’t even give it a chance! And in the SteamDB leaks, COP was listed as coming to Steam as well…

So when I buy the trilogy, where does my money go? o_o

8. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    December 11, 2015 at 3:37 pm

What a shame. I never tried Code of Princess but I did like what the concept looked like and I’m fond of Umihara Kawase as well.

9. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    December 11, 2015 at 3:51 pm

How sad. Well at least they brought some of their games to steam so that might ease the transition.

10. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    December 11, 2015 at 3:55 pm

This is sad news indeed considering they just brought all 3 of the Umihara Kawase games in the States.

11. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    December 11, 2015 at 4:23 pm

12. scemar
    scemar
    December 11, 2015 at 4:46 pm

What a shame, it’s always sad too see a nice studio pass away.

I remember seeing code princess on the 3DS shop and wanting to give it a try but I never really bought it, though I would have probably gotten it if it had come out on Steam.
    There’s still a chance they might do that somehow, and I’d still get it.
    But they aren’t making any new games anymore.

13. Jawsh Grohban
    Jawsh Grohban
    December 11, 2015 at 4:49 pm

They waited too long to bring their games to PC, I guess…

14. Chocolate ISISCream
    Chocolate ISISCream
    December 11, 2015 at 5:13 pm

“We’ll release our games on steam, that’ll solve our problems!”

Nice, simply epic. Amazing. Each fucking game only sold 2000-2500 copies max. NICE PROFITS. PC IS NOT THE ANSWER. I HATE WHEN MY JAPANESE GAMES GO TO PC. PEOPLE WILL JUST PIRATE.

15. Antoinant
    Antoinant
    December 11, 2015 at 5:20 pm

They can offer some profit bonus for the devs and I don’t mind some games going multiplatform if it means people can try them (Sony already cannibalized Digimon Cyber Sleuth from the Vita in a pity attempt to get games for the PS4).

What I do however hate is faggots here trying to bring platform wars and spouting that “PC master race” reddit meme.

16. NuclearKangaroo
    NuclearKangaroo
    December 11, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Press F to pay respects

F

17. Sylveria Shini
    Sylveria Shini
    December 11, 2015 at 7:24 pm

I have Code of Princess and was really underwhelmed by it. Still, it’s sad when a company making fairly novel stuff has to close their doors.

December 11, 2015 at 7:53 pm

I enjoyed code of princess cheesiness and all.

19. Jack Ripper
    Jack Ripper
    December 11, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Shame another niche company is gone.

20. XERW
    XERW
    December 11, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Ever heard of Valkyria Chronicles, Neptunia, etc on PC? Really? fuck off consolefag.

People can play pirated on PS, PS2, PS3, X360, PSP, DS, 3DS easily right fucking now so yeah, don’t blame PC, you ignorant asshat.

21. Superscooter
    Superscooter
    December 12, 2015 at 12:10 am

Or maybe the games were extremely mediocre with no marketing.

22. Nagato
    Nagato
    December 12, 2015 at 12:23 am

Perhaps more importantly, will their current games even stay on Steam or be delisted by the time they’re fully liquidated?

Also, in light of recent news, I do have to say that they should’ve just brought over Code of Princess first and foremost; a beat ‘m up would’ve been a much better shot at saving the company than whatever Umihara Kawase is…

Oh well… Sayonara, Umihara Kawase.

23. Nagato
    Nagato
    December 12, 2015 at 12:26 am

He just isn’t PC, bro.

24. scemar
    scemar
    December 12, 2015 at 12:56 am

F .

25. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    December 12, 2015 at 4:50 am

Could you please fuck off with your platform war shit.

26. Sergio Nacher Fernández
    Sergio Nacher Fernández
    December 12, 2015 at 7:09 am

I was looking forward to Code of Princess on Steam.

Damnit. ._.

27. daggot △
    daggot △
    December 12, 2015 at 7:21 am

Really sad to see them go. If only the steam ports sold more, maybe it was the fact that they split the bundle into separate games to make a profit or the lack of marketing to the pc userbase but I hear they didn’t sell all too well. This combined with that Fate/EXTRA and Stella Glow devs going belly up is a damn shame really.

28. Guin
    Guin
    December 12, 2015 at 9:43 am

Instead of novel games, bring over a generic beat em up to keep them afloat just like most startups. That’s just the gr reality.

29. Didney Worl
    Didney Worl
    December 12, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Sayonara Agatsuma…

30. Para-Medic
    Para-Medic
    December 12, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I see what you did there.

Here’s to hoping the trilogy is still there by the time the Holiday Sale rolls around! It should be… I hope.

31. Micky Kusanagi
    Micky Kusanagi
    December 13, 2015 at 2:55 am

I love Code Of Princess. It can get very repetitive, but the code to unlock every single character in free play and bonus quests adds a ton of replay value. They even went as far as kinda teasing a sequel with mechanics inspired by Dragon’s Crown in some interview (but I see they clearly hadn’t the budget to work on such a game).

So, I’m really sad about this…

32. Nonscpo