Rumor: Kiria’s Outfit Censored in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

shin megami tensei x fire emblem 12-03-15-3

It appears as though Kiria’s idol costume has been altered/censored for the final release of Nintendo’s upcoming crossover, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.

In the new “Intro Trailer“, we get a brief glimpse of her new design (pictured above). You can compare this to her original design:

shin megami tensei x fire emblem 12-03-15-2

It appears the developers have replaced her bikini bottom with pants, although it could also be leggings if some of the newer promotional art (pictured below) is anything to go by.

genei_extras_preorder04

What’s interesting to note is that it appears unrelated to localization, as this will be the new design across all regions.

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem is set to launch in Japan on December 26th for the Wii U, with a western release sometime in 2016.

Alexis Nascimento-Lajoie

Writer at Niche Gamer. Passionate for video game journalism, and more than glad to be a part of it. I also write DOTA 2 stuff.

1. Joey
    Joey
    December 3, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Here come the “no buy” comments…

2. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    December 3, 2015 at 8:54 pm

It’s an ultra cosmetic change. But at the same time, there’s no real excuse for censoring that this time around. At this rate, Nintendo will be forever relegated to “kiddies only” status~.

3. Guest
    Guest
    December 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

I’m getting really tired of hearing about how every fucking game is having girls covered up in some way

4. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    December 3, 2015 at 8:59 pm

I’d say we make this a sort of drinking game with each Nintendo title localized gets censored in some form.

If this is true for the official release of the game when it does get localized, its just not worth the effort for me to be even slightly surprised anymore.

5. doublescrub
    doublescrub
    December 3, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Goddamnit. As I said elsewhere, there’s a bunch of lewd costumes in the game, for the same character. Shit, they’re selling bikinis and sexy santa outfits as pre-order DLC. The character designer struggled with the female outfits and had to ask for help, they obviously just decided recently that the zipper panties looked dumb. Changing their minds isn’t censorship by any definition.

6. Offendatron_5000
    Offendatron_5000
    December 3, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Looks like leggings, I kind of like the look in the promo pic, this is an upgrade to me (I like sheer clothing)

7. Azure
    Azure
    December 3, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Honestly she looks better with the trousers on imo.

8. koreawut
    koreawut
    December 3, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I agree. This is one of those times I think it is better “censored”.

9. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    December 3, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Well if it is for japan and the game is still in development can it really be call censored ?

10. Heavily Augmented
    Heavily Augmented
    December 3, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I’m not approving of the censorship if this is true, but I think the original design is just so ridiculous. Hell, this whole game looks so generic despite all the flare it has.

11. dakotasgame
    dakotasgame
    December 3, 2015 at 9:02 pm

i don’t think this is that big of a deal compare to say what happened with the Bravely games or Xenoblade since isn’t a change region to region but just a typical design change that happens all the time in game development just look at any art book that comes with collector’s edition and seen what designs we came close to getting.

12. dakotasgame
    dakotasgame
    December 3, 2015 at 9:02 pm

honestly i just throw this into standard character design changes that happens with every game

13. Azure
    Azure
    December 3, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Is this an already established character(costume) or unique to this game?

Cause if this is a new character you can hardly call it censorship (especially if it is all regions).

14. Valchior
    Valchior
    December 3, 2015 at 9:03 pm

I dunno if I’d classify this as *censorship*. More like a redesign. Like
    the author said, this isn’t localization side. If the devs, want it I
    don’t see the big deal either way.

15. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    December 3, 2015 at 9:05 pm

What a shame, I liked the original outfit, it went full sexually ridiculous with a pink zipper and all.

It appears to be an artistic change or at worst an executive veto from Japan across all regions because it’s 2sexy4society.

Still interested in the game, even if it’s not DEMIFIEND AND LYN’S BIZARRE ADVENTURE.

16. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    December 3, 2015 at 9:05 pm

agreed i think we need to better define what cencored is we cant go around calling everything censored

17. WB1c_Marathon
    WB1c_Marathon
    December 3, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Dear God no. I’m no lightweight, but the sheer volume of alcohol you’d consume in a drinking game like that would genocide a college frat house.

18. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Is it really censoring if its s conscious decision by the developer of the game, which was still in development?

19. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    December 3, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Nope designs change game is still in development seen to be on the japanese side so is not censorship

20. blackice85
    blackice85
    December 3, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Yeah unless there is hard evidence that they were really pressured into changing it, I’d just chalk this up to a redesign. I’m more irked when we have altered content on localized games, but this hasn’t even been released in Japan yet.

21. WB1c_Marathon
    WB1c_Marathon
    December 3, 2015 at 9:08 pm

It’s a sad state of affairs when a company becomes so infamous for censorship that a design change that may not even be censorship can get people nervous.

22. koreawut
    koreawut
    December 3, 2015 at 9:08 pm

The way I see it, if there was an original design, then it’s changed in a way to “cover up”, then it’s censorship. Also, I put censorship in quotes, not every person in every country understands the idea of ‘air quotes’ and it’s difficult to explain.

At any rate, with this hot on the heels of Team Ninja speaking out against SJWs by not releasing their game in the Americas, I can’t help but register this as censorship.

23. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Sounds like it was the artists vision in that case.

Misleading article title.

24. dogmentation
    dogmentation
    December 3, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I don’t think it’s so much “censorship” as a deliberate design change. That sort of thing happens a lot, and it’s not always a conspiracy.

25. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Team Ninja didnt say anything. A comm manager on their publishers FB page said something that they later confirmed wasnt speaking for the publisher.

I think the definition of censorship has been severely diluted in the past few months if design changes are arbitrarily being accused of it.

26. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    December 3, 2015 at 9:12 pm

now lets way for the western release that’s gona be fun to see how butchered it is

27. Zizal
    Zizal
    December 3, 2015 at 9:13 pm

They were forced to change it because of the game rating.

28. koreawut
    koreawut
    December 3, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Team Ninja spoke out by not releasing their game in the NA. That’s exactly what is happening and that’s exactly what I said.

29. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:16 pm

What are you basing this on?

30. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Team Ninja arent a publisher. They’re a dev team.

31. koreawut
    koreawut
    December 3, 2015 at 9:18 pm

K.

Koei Tecmo spoke out by not releasing the game in the NA.

32. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Okay. Where did they speak out against SJWs exactly?

33. edge
    edge
    December 3, 2015 at 9:19 pm

It’s debatable, there’s been entire changes in the past that nintendo has done and pushed across the board just because they didn’t want to have to censor it for other regions. I believe Metroid was an example, where Samus was originally naked in the concepts, but later altered across all version before release just so they wouldn’t have to edit it later.

That being said, it is debatable if the game wasn’t released, though it could be argued as self-censoring to avoid problems with other countries.

34. Zizal
    Zizal
    December 3, 2015 at 9:19 pm

There was a tweet from a western developer said that the artist favorite design were changed or something. Not sure of the wording I will try to find the tweet.

35. BurgerUnit
    BurgerUnit
    December 3, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Yeah I wouldn’t call it censorship at this point. Should save your energy for if this game is released in the west, then we will see what real censorship is.

36. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Oh yeah, will be a fun time to be alive. That’s if it even makes it West.

37. scemar
    scemar
    December 3, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Somehow real live pop stars can do it.
    But if a game does it it’s wrooooong.

There’s still a chance this is an alternate costume they’d rather use for PR reasons on the headlines without removing the authentic outfit right?

Either way, it’s clearly a rushed out job that was imposed on to the game by the higher up management at the last minute to avoid controversy of some sort.

Personally I’ll find it much harder to care about any news from a nintendo game that isn’t the classic mario or zelda because it seems like they’ll do their best to censor it all now either for the localization or for the original release instead.
    If it starts now with costumes, where will it lead to later? Are they also going to impose the stricter PC guidelines on the writing teams or the scenarios?

It’s so sad to see Nintendo going back to the days of changing blood to sweat.
    They were doing it right with Bayo 2 and for a moment they looked cool again.

38. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    December 3, 2015 at 9:23 pm

well this changes things a little if true

39. scemar
    scemar
    December 3, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I’d call it censorship.
    If game is created in X way and then the executives tell them to change it to a more PC design at the last minute, I’ll sure as hell call that censorship.

40. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    December 3, 2015 at 9:24 pm

and you know the exes did this ? if true you are right

41. scemar
    scemar
    December 3, 2015 at 9:25 pm

If an idea changes radically, at the last minute, half assed, out of place, and at a time where they’re stuck in other controversy, it looks like censorship to me.

Censorship isn’t limited to localizations.
    But let’s not jump the gun it could be a different outfit without removing the other one.

42. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Its part of an anime sequence, so unless Atlus have a lot of cash to throw around its unlikely to have alternate versions. The songs and Kiria were announced to be in an all ages karaoke game, I’m starting to wonder if that’s something to do with it.

43. scemar
    scemar
    December 3, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Call it a wild bet.
    You remember interviews about the game where they mentioned how the artists worked hard to decide how to create the characters?
    All that was already laid out, their job there was done.
    And it all seemed consistent.
    Suddenly the change of outfit makes it look really lame and out of place, at a time where they’re stuck in other controversies.

I just ask myself what seems more likely, the artists had a sudden last minute change of mind for seemingly no reason, or the higher ups gave them an order they could not refuse?

44. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:26 pm

How do you know executives were invoked? Seems more like your standard design change

45. Valwin Mediaz
    Valwin Mediaz
    December 3, 2015 at 9:27 pm

i guess

46. scemar
    scemar
    December 3, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Could also be due to rating.
    That’d still be kind of censorship though, but at least it’d be censorship with marketability in mind and not the cowardly censorship that seeks PC approval.

47. doublescrub
    doublescrub
    December 3, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Then explain the bikinis and kinky Christmas outfits they’re advertising as DLC right now. Explain the other girl’s outfit, which shows significantly more skin.

What seems more likely, the execs decided this one costume crossed the line, while leaving the rest untouched, or the team thought it was a dumb idea in hindsight and slapped see through pants on her instead?

48. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    December 3, 2015 at 9:31 pm

After what happened to DOAX3 methinks it’s the Japanese developers performing a self-censoring act in order to avoid needless yapping from Western Media.

Those poor saps have no idea that such actions don’t work at all.

49. Dakt
    December 3, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Is impossible to explain because none of us know what went down, hence the speculating that everyone, yourself included, is engaging in. As I said in another comment, I’m starting to think it’s something to do with the all ages karaoke game that features these anime segments, the songs and Kiria.

But that’s just speculation.

50. Raziel Barkrai
    Raziel Barkrai
    December 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm

My thoughts exactly.

51. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    December 3, 2015 at 9:47 pm

As I said elsewhere I’m guessing this is a pre emptive change to prevent NOA from getting heat again, they got a lot of emails over the xenoblade thing. This is way too late in development for it to be a random out of nowhere change. Especially when you keep in mind the recent DOA thing, they’re getting aware of this stuff. Also reminds me of the recent capcom thing.

Pretty disappointing, those grandma pants she has now look godawful. Sad thing is we’ll never know if anything else was ripped either.

Ah well the Wii U emulator is coming along nicely, I don’t mind waiting a bit since I’m sure our version will be even worse.

52. Bitterbear
    Bitterbear
    December 3, 2015 at 9:51 pm

You wanna know why is this happening? It’s because if the NX doesn’t have region-locking then people will import the uncensored version of the game. So Nintendo is going to go full SJW-ass kissing mode.

Happened before when professional victims cried Swastika on the Mangi symbol drawn on the back of the Pokémon trading cards even if the cards were meant only for S.E. Asia.

53. blackice85
    blackice85
    December 3, 2015 at 9:52 pm

That’s possible. I guess the only good thing is, if it starts effecting Japanese gamers too and they complain, maybe they’ll knock it off altogether? Hah, I’m being optimistic aren’t I?

54. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    December 3, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Yeah I heard someone else expressing that, I know they’re not too fond of that kind of stuff based on the comments they make when something getting censored here gets an article over there.

55. edge
    edge
    December 3, 2015 at 10:06 pm

You could continue this line of thought to the execs saw a profit making opportunity to sell costumes. It is a rumor as the article stated though, so we can’t be certain yet. Knowing nintendo though, it probably is true.

56. Anderino
    Anderino
    December 3, 2015 at 10:21 pm

This seems like more of a design change because they wanted to change the outfit. We can’t go calling censorship all the time, especially when it’s the same across all regions so far and there isn’t any pressure exerted to change it.

57. Tyrannikos
    Tyrannikos
    December 3, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Eh, could be self-censorship, but even then I think it’s just the character getting a design change. For the better, too. I like those pants more.

Now, if Japan still got the bikini bottom and NA/EU got the pants, then I’d have a problem.

58. Mighty No. 56008
    Mighty No. 56008
    December 3, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Hmmm kinda hard to know how to feel about this change until we get further details, which sadly may not happen.

It is however suspicious that considering previous animated material had her without the leggings/pants, that making a simple change as this isn’t exactly a simple thing to do.

59. Sebastian Mikulec
    Sebastian Mikulec
    December 3, 2015 at 10:43 pm

I’m not thrilled about this, if it is indeed censorship on principle. On the other hand, those pants are dope.

60. Doc Hammer
    Doc Hammer
    December 3, 2015 at 10:55 pm

You know what? As long as its the same game across all regions, I don’t care as much.

61. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    December 3, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I’m leaning on that as well, but still suspicious since it happens to be the Tharja character again (sorta) and we actually got to see the original design.

I’m still bugged enough to hope for alternative costumes since I liked the original look more, not much more than that though.

62. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    December 3, 2015 at 11:09 pm

More or less. I’d still like the original look but I REALLY don’t want to see all three regions having different costumes, dialogue and so on.

63. TheCynicalReaper
    TheCynicalReaper
    December 3, 2015 at 11:21 pm

If it wasn’t censorship then it would be a redesign. But it’s not.
    The outfit is EXACTLY the same but with some black stocking/pants instead of just the bikini bottom.

That kind of alteration is, as I’ve seen, censorship. Redesigns go further than that.
    Now the question would be why this even happened at all.
    Maybe Atlus has changed…for Nintendo?

64. TheCynicalReaper
    TheCynicalReaper
    December 3, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Since they didn’t change anything in the design but covering up/obfuscating her bikini bottom I’m leaning censorship. Let’s not forget that the conservative right is to Japan what our commie left is to the West, that is to say, they’re equally insane regarding censorship bits.

But who knows? Maybe because it’s “multi-region” that’s the ticket for this needless change.
    Or maybe it’s Nintendo

65. AzureNova
    AzureNova
    December 3, 2015 at 11:45 pm

The original is sexier. Just like they drew pants on Masane for the TV version of the anime Witchblade in America too. (I watched Witchblade on DVD first, then happened to see it on TV after) Either way, this seems like it’s going to keep happening. “Sigh”

66. TiamatNM
    TiamatNM
    December 3, 2015 at 11:55 pm

The game isn’t even out in Japan yet so I don’t really see this as a problem. They didn’t mess with her cleavage at all.

67. TylorW
    TylorW
    December 4, 2015 at 12:19 am

I think Atlus just looked at the previous version of Kiria in earlier trailers, and thought:

“……….Eh, I think that this actually kinda looks both a bit dumb, as well as overkill. Let’s change the bottom to pants instead. Not as revealing, yet it can be just as sexy.”

And you know what? I agree with this line of thinking. ;)

68. Nagato
    Nagato
    December 4, 2015 at 12:34 am

I’m going with “Rated T for Treehouse” since they’re involved with the development of this game.

Such a shame too; I keep looking for reasons to get back with Nintendo, but they seem to be actively working towards the opposite goal instead.

69. VGJunky
    VGJunky
    December 4, 2015 at 12:38 am

It all depends on the intent. Even though it’s in all regions, if the decision was made by Nintendo or Atlus based on acceptable social standards instead of artistic intent then that classifies it as censorship/self censorship. Especially if Nintendo made the decision to alter it universally based on the flack they got for their Fatal Frame and Xenoblade localizations. (Add Fire Emblem and Bravely Default to recent examples if you want, too)

Wish they’d just go with the Bayonetta 2 stance but they just really want to sell these games to kids is all

70. VGJunky
    VGJunky
    December 4, 2015 at 12:41 am

Censorship has a definition, it’s when something is changed due to content deemed socially unacceptable. We can’t say for certain that that’s WHY this design was changed but based on Nintendo’s history we can certainly guess one way instead of the other.

71. VGJunky
    VGJunky
    December 4, 2015 at 12:43 am

There’s no hard evidence but it’s just so prevalent in Nintendo games that it would be safer to assume that it was preemptive censorship rather than just a simple redesign. Especially if you just look at the outfit and see that it’s something that Nintendo likely wouldn’t let fly in the West

December 4, 2015 at 12:45 am

I’ll probably buy it but I think I’ll buy holding off on a NX for a long time.

73. blackice85
    blackice85
    December 4, 2015 at 12:46 am

And with it happening during production, we probably won’t ever know for sure. But I agree it’s fishy, I just don’t want to jump to conclusions.

74. deadeye
    deadeye
    December 4, 2015 at 12:46 am

I’m gonna jump on the “its probably a deliberate design change rather than censorship” wagon. Especially since it’s a change across all regions.

Although, even with censorship, changing an outfit, especially a real minor change such as this, I just can’t get mad at. Really not worth the effort for me. I draw that line at localization teams changing story elements and character personalities to be more “palatable to western audiences”. Although character designs can sometimes be tied into that. But as I said, a minor change such as this, it’s probably nothing.

75. DarkChaplain
    DarkChaplain
    December 4, 2015 at 12:48 am

Are you fucking kidding me….

76. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    December 4, 2015 at 2:06 am

Yes, self-censorship is still censorship.

77. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    December 4, 2015 at 2:06 am

Self-censorship is still censorship.

True, it could as well just not have that intent.

78. Dakt
    December 4, 2015 at 3:47 am

Getting flashbacks of the term “internalized misogyny” here. Its not always as black and white as you’re claiming. The game is still in development with the designer involved and a number of other costumes still in tact.

79. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    December 4, 2015 at 4:36 am

Censortendo.

80. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    December 4, 2015 at 4:50 am

You’re getting some retarded flashbacks then. Unlike “internalized misogyny”, “self-censorship” is actually real.

It doesn’t mean he necessarily did self-censor, but you’re stating you’re ok with any decision that has any reason behind it, which is dumb as fuck.

Self-censorship always has a faulty intent.

81. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    December 4, 2015 at 4:51 am

3 games out of 5 i wanted to buy a Wii U for got censored,Nintendo made it easy for me to save money.

82. Matthew Brannock
    Matthew Brannock
    December 4, 2015 at 4:55 am

devs are changing their games from their own vision in order to appease a small group of whiners

this is exactly what we told them would happen last year

83. Ainai
    Ainai
    December 4, 2015 at 5:00 am

The change was made because the song 「Reincarnation」 黒乃霧亜 was recently added to Wii Karaoke U, which is rated CERO A (for all ages).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZV3fYOz-QQ

I was hoping they kept the original version since Genei Ibun Roku ♯FE is most likely going to be rated CERO C or D, but I guess they made the change universal to keep things consistent.

At least the original version still exists online for posterity. ^_^

84. Dakt
    December 4, 2015 at 5:00 am

Again, getting some flashbacks to sjw mob mentality here. Claiming your issue is while there’s is not, even though the issues with both aren’t as black and white as you’re claiming

If opposing censorship is due to respecting artist intent, but you’re claiming that any reason the designer has for changing something, regardless of what it is, is “dumb as fuck” even though you have no idea what the reason was, it doesn’t sound like you’re respecting the artists vision. By that merit anything that is changed pre release is censorship and every game is censored.

Which is indeed dumb as fuck.

85. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    December 4, 2015 at 5:05 am

Considering their track record on censorship you would end as an alcoholic.

86. artemisthemp
    artemisthemp
    December 4, 2015 at 5:17 am

It’s Nintendo so, most likely gonna censor it.

87. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    December 4, 2015 at 5:54 am

You are not only committing a strawman, you are also pretty retarded. I never said any reason for a change is “censorship”.

Opposing censorship also means you oppose self-censorship. Self-censorship always arises from a mentality of either ignorance or fear, it’s the whole “I am doing wrong by showing my true intent” or “What if others don’t like my true intent?”, it’s the worst type of censorship, since no one will know until the artist comes out and says it.

88. Dakt
    December 4, 2015 at 6:00 am

“you’re stating you’re ok with any decision that has any reason behind it”

Your words.

89. Immahnoob
    Immahnoob
    December 4, 2015 at 6:27 am

Which doesn’t mean “Be against every decision for every reason.”. It means that some decisions are bad because of some reasons.

E.g. Self-censorship is always bad. It’s a decision they can take, it doesn’t change that, but it’s not “artistic freedom” because the intent is not to write/draw/say/etc what the artist truly wants.

90. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    December 4, 2015 at 6:58 am

You know, censorship is wrong and all, but that’s a lame excuse to say you’ll pirate the game. Nobody forces you to play this game, if you want to play it though, you should pay for it~.

91. Antoinant
    Antoinant
    December 4, 2015 at 7:35 am

Good goy

92. Ainai
    Ainai
    December 4, 2015 at 7:40 am

The difference between pants and pantsu is just 12 years. The game was already rated CERO B as early as October 6, 2015, just to correct myself.

I couldn’t find any published review dates on CERO, so I used the earliest known video with a rating from the official Nintendo Japan YouTube channel.

93. Flin
    Flin
    December 4, 2015 at 8:07 am

It was censored already thinking about the Western release.

94. ivanchu77
    ivanchu77
    December 4, 2015 at 8:08 am

every japanese game gets censored nowadays , these are sad times :/

95. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    December 4, 2015 at 8:50 am

Why though? While the censorship is stupid XBX and this game are probably the biggest hitters the Wii U will ever get in terms of exclusives. It seems like a waste to pass on two amazing games just because of some cosmetic censorship BS. In the case of Fatal Frame, I totally get you because they butchered the story with the censorship~.

96. Kiryu
    Kiryu
    December 4, 2015 at 9:46 am

I have zero tolerance for censorship and giving them money for it signals them it”s okay to censor.

97. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    December 4, 2015 at 9:52 am

Yeah, but you’ll still miss on two amazing experiences of the generation just because one character got pants and the other a girlscout outfit~.

98. Antoinant
    Antoinant
    December 4, 2015 at 9:57 am

The other option is learning japanese (which isn’t really difficult at all once you get past the two kana writing systems. It’s just time-consuming like any other language) and importing the game too. (which often tend to be cheaper than the localization)

99. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    December 4, 2015 at 10:03 am

Japanese is a difficult language and even without the extremely steep barrier, there’s the issue of having to own two Wii Us thanks to Nintendo’s draconian region lock measures~.

100. Antoinant
    Antoinant
    December 4, 2015 at 10:06 am

“Japanese is a difficult language”

Try french and its bullshit grammar rules, and we’ll talk again. :^)

I agree it’s indeed stupid from Nintendo to continue the whole region-locking, but I guess the reason is that the company want to block customers into getting cheaper imported versions of games.

101. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    December 4, 2015 at 10:11 am

I guess we’ll never know. However that statement is utterly meaninglessness to me. All it was was typical PR speak. They didn’t state that his opinion is wrong and they still haven’t given us an actual reason as to why the game isn’t going to be released internationally. So until Koei comes forward with the actual reason I am going to assume it was due to gender politics. And if I am wrong I will apologize.

102. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    December 4, 2015 at 10:49 am

My main language is Spanish, which has a crapload of BS rules between genders and tenses. That still doesn’t compare to the insane complexity of the Kanji system. Learning Hiraganas and Katakanas doesn’t get you anywhere near close to the basic understanding of the Japanese language~.

As for region lock.. I don’t even think it’s about prices. Most games are equally priced for the most part. I just think it’s about sheer stupidity, which is why only Nintendo does it~.

103. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    December 4, 2015 at 10:54 am

This troubles me, if the thing is just that the designer looked at her and thought that he wants to change her because he/she/they simply isn’t satisfied with the look, cool, that’s his/her/their artistic freedom and the game isn’t released yet (imo changes like that after release with a mandatory patch or so are not acceptable). But after all the censoring Nintendo did recently I have the bad feeling this might have been not the designer’s nor even Atlus’ CEO’s decision but was only made by Nintendo with the west in mind, and that’s just wrong, bad enough europe has to suffer under the NoA puritans but japan now too?

104. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    December 4, 2015 at 11:00 am

You don’t have to miss out on anything, just buy it used, that’s what i will do in the future with any game that contains unnecessary censorship (like when the ESRB really threatens to give a game an AO rating or there really is something that is by law illegal, that’s not the devs/pubs fault and they shouldn’t be punished for censoring it, I just wish companies would be more open and just say the truth on why they censor things).

105. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    December 4, 2015 at 11:33 am

That’s a perfectly reasonable option~.

106. Arenegeth
    Arenegeth
    December 4, 2015 at 11:41 am

This (and the SFV edits are similar) is basically what happened back in the day with Super Metroid, and Nintendo self censoring an exploding Varia suit nude Samus, death animation, all across regions, because they didn’t want to deal with censoring just the western version.

Now one would say, what’s wrong with Devs changing the look of a character that is after all, still in development? Happens all the time, for example Kratos’s tattoos were supposed to be blue instead of red, very close to the release of the original GoW.

And they’d be right.

The thing is, these changes are not made in a vacuum and as anyone who is anti-censorship (or reads this site) would know, follow a string of western release self censorship occurrences across titles and platforms, following years of games media anti-Japan and sex negative coverage, after a certain political ideology had taken over the medium.

All of these cases are also about toning down the sexuality of female characters, a sticking point of the aforementioned ideology.

It would not take a tactical genius to see the correlation here.

But as I said before, these cases are going to increase in the short term only to become very rare down the line, as developers censor themselves all the way in pre-production.

If you know anything about marketing and PR you’d know that the naming and shaming of the gaming media has finally paid off and Publisher’s are being very careful to avoid the neo-progressive media’s wrath.

Great time to be an authoritarian puritan, sad time to be a gamer…

107. ALAKTORN
    ALAKTORN
    December 4, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Yes, you can buy it used, but buy it from a private rather than from a shop. The latter would still show support for the industry that censored the game.

108. Antoinant
    Antoinant
    December 4, 2015 at 6:55 pm

“That still doesn’t compare to the insane complexity of the Kanji system”

That’s isn’t true at all considering you’ll see the same characters or strokes for related meanings and words.

109. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    December 4, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Oh yeah for sure.

110. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    December 4, 2015 at 7:21 pm

When something is changed before release, it is not “censored.” It is changed. The game is still in development. Maybe they decided her old costume looked dumb (it does) and thought the new one looked cooler (it does).

You people ascribe the worst motivations to PRE-RELEASE changes. First Street Fighter, now this. Calm the fuck down.

111. Cody
    Cody
    December 5, 2015 at 10:14 am

Why the fuck do you people support Nintendo?

112. Cael
    Cael
    December 5, 2015 at 10:51 am

Whether this is censorship/alt costume or whatever, doesn’t change the fact that it looks like a terrible, cheap, hastily done photoshop work. At least the leggings (or whatever they are) that are seen in the artwork posted actually looks good.

113. Go D. Usopp
    Go D. Usopp
    December 5, 2015 at 2:37 pm

New design is better, changes the devs decided to make before release aren’t censorship they’re just edits, quality control etc

114. CirnoTheStrongest
    CirnoTheStrongest
    December 6, 2015 at 9:18 am

I mean, does no one think that the artist decided that leggings were more sexy than just straight up panties? I don’t really like leggings, but I understand there are those who think those are the best.

115. Valchior
    Valchior
    December 7, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Article doesn’t cite any instance of censorship, other than the word itself. Could be a multitude of possible reasons behind the design change. If there’s a source to cite on the reason behind the change (and the citation implies or directly states censorship) the article would/should be updated to reflect that (and/or since this is filed under “rumor” there would/should be a followup article).

So, I’d agree with you. It *would* be censorship *if* that’s the case.

116. alex9234
    alex9234
    December 11, 2015 at 7:59 pm

They didn’t censor her outfit. The devs changed it because they were unhappy with the original outfit, and it was criticized for looking very silly. No need to press the panic button here.

117. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    December 13, 2015 at 1:36 am

You don’t know that. In fact going from other comments it was almost certainly changed because they had to put the “music video” in a PG show and they kept it after that.

118. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    December 13, 2015 at 5:47 pm

No you don’t, you know they changed it but not why unless you have some sort of proof

119. alex9234
    alex9234
    December 13, 2015 at 5:55 pm

But I can guarantee you that it’s not censorship. I’ve been hearing that the costume was changed because the devs didn’t like it. And besides, the change isn’t a bad thing is it now? Hey, it could be worse…

120. PHILL SHIVELY