Star Citizen Community Reaches 1 Million Citizens

Star Citizen boss Chris Roberts took to the game’s main blog to announce a new milestone for the crowdfunded game – one million citizens.

To be clear – in order to become a “citizen” of the game, you simply have to register for their official forums, or back the game via a financial donation. It’s not clear if the one million citizen milestone includes both or simply backers, however, as our fans have pointed out – simply registering for the forums gives you a citizen number above one million – leading us to believe this number includes both.

Alongside the new milestone was the news that every backer who has pledged towards the game will receive access to the game – there are no longer tiers or extra costs, you’ll get all of it now.

The game has reached over $90 million in crowdfunding money, and is seeming to only be adding more content to the game via backer-chosen stretch goals. Featured above, a new video was posted with the recently confirmed Gary Oldman, who is playing the role of Admiral Earnest Bishop.

“It’s amazing to have a community and team that believe so fervently in what is being built… Say it loud: PC games are back, space combat games are back… we are making Star Citizen possible!,” said Roberts in the update.

Editor’s Note: The article originally stated the game had reached one million supporters in crowdfunding, this is untrue as the update cites “citizens,” which are simply people registered to the game’s official forums. This has been since amended for accuracy.

1. E M P
    E M P
    October 15, 2015 at 7:53 am

I don’t understand what people see in this game….. it’s one of the most fishy things I can think of on KS. There is being over ambitious, then there is just being insane. This is the latter. Would be surprised if they fulfill even 50% of their promises.

2. King of Bros
    King of Bros
    October 15, 2015 at 8:00 am

One million backers.

No game.

3. Calem
    Calem
    October 15, 2015 at 8:12 am

This is just Smarts propaganda! Everything is fine with the game. It will release exactly as promised on the KS. We just have to wait a little bit longer. Oh boy. I can’t wait to fly my $1250 Vulture. I even bought the insurance, just to be safe and some stylish decals for a few more bucks. Hoho, I’ll be playing this game for years!

4. Breezer
    Breezer
    October 15, 2015 at 8:35 am

How can people believe these Todd Howard tier sweet nothings?

5. Siveon
    Siveon
    October 15, 2015 at 8:44 am

One million suckers.

6. Siveon
    Siveon
    October 15, 2015 at 8:45 am

Same way people still believe Todd Howard?

7. Some furf
    Some furf
    October 15, 2015 at 8:46 am

That’s an insult to Todd Howard.

8. Breezer
    Breezer
    October 15, 2015 at 9:18 am

You see that asteroid?

9. 21603
    21603
    October 15, 2015 at 9:44 am

I hope to Christ you’re being sarcastic! Who would ever spend that amount of money on a fake ship.

10. iHodor
    iHodor
    October 15, 2015 at 9:51 am

No, really, there literally are ships that expensive in the game.

Star Citizen supporters are seriously deluded.

October 15, 2015 at 9:59 am

That is one backer for each minute the game was delayed.

12. alterku
    alterku
    October 15, 2015 at 10:36 am

I bought in at 20 bucks when there was a short sale. I’m not really out anything. I find this all hilarious.

13. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    October 15, 2015 at 10:44 am

Even Elliot Rodger had more game than the Star Citizen backers.

14. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    October 15, 2015 at 10:47 am

Never trust a dev who says they’re moving gaming forward unless they have 1 billion dollars and John Carmack and the Ghost of Satoru Iwata working for them. Even the best games of today are reusing ideas from the early 90s and early 3D games.

15. E M P
    E M P
    October 15, 2015 at 10:58 am

He’s being cheeky lol. I’d like to think NG readers aren’t that dumb.

16. E M P
    E M P
    October 15, 2015 at 11:02 am

You can get a refund if the game doesn’t come out/ is cancelled though, right? Surely KS isn’t that cancerous.

17. Obbliglol
    Obbliglol
    October 15, 2015 at 11:08 am

I am just so perplexed by this game. Buying Tales costume DLC doesn’t seem that cancerous compared to spending hundreds on dollars…on a ship? That you can’t fly in the game yet? I just cannot into.

18. 21603
    21603
    October 15, 2015 at 11:19 am

Sarcasm is hard to detect on the Internet.

As for refunds, I’m not sure it’s even Kickstarter’s problem now is it? The whole project has gone way beyond them, and I don’t think he was offering absolutely ridiculously priced fake ships when the KS campaign was active. My guess is if it does fall through and you were stupid enough to spend that kind of money you would probably get a refund, but it would take a few years once they track down everyone involved.

19. E M P
    E M P
    October 15, 2015 at 11:27 am

Well I mean if the reward was ordered through KS and not their own crowdfunding program, but yeah I’d like to believe it doesn’t just go down the gutter.

20. Siveon
    Siveon
    October 15, 2015 at 12:12 pm

What, the joke?

I got that, I was just saying the fan-bases were similar.

21. Breezer
    Breezer
    October 15, 2015 at 12:33 pm

You see that joke? You can make it!
    Todd Howard, 2015

22. Feniks
    Feniks
    October 15, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Over one million cult members worldwide after just a few years. Well lets hope Roberts isn’t going to instruct his followers to prepare sarin gas.

23. tetrisdork
    tetrisdork
    October 15, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I am curious to know the statistical breakdown of how much money each backer spent. Sure, $90mil divided by 1mil gets you an average of $90, but I want to know shit like the median or mode contribution, both of which will tell more about the average cultist/backer than mean ever does.

24. Chip Hitler
    Chip Hitler
    October 15, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Shit. Buying costumes for Dead Or Alive Last Round wasn’t nearly as egregious as this bullshit CIG is trying to pull.

25. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    October 15, 2015 at 7:45 pm

This will either be the most epic game ever, or the most epic failure ever ;_;

26. iHodor
    iHodor
    October 16, 2015 at 12:35 am

I’m not sure. I think you could try and force a chargeback.

27. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    October 16, 2015 at 12:44 am

♪♪Now look at them yo-yo’s that’s the way you do it

You crowdfund your game endlessly

That ain’t working

That’s the way you do it.

Money for nothing and checks for free♪♪

28. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    October 16, 2015 at 12:45 am

The genius of the scam is they kept the crowdfunding going OFF Kickstarter, that way they’re not bound by any Kickstarter promises, or any accountability in general.

29. Zombie_Barioth
    Zombie_Barioth
    October 16, 2015 at 3:53 am

I imagine so. I mean, I’m no lawyer, but being off kickstarter if they don’t refund people’s money in the event the project fails or gets canned, I’m pretty sure they’d be openning themselves up to some major lawsuits if they didn’t honor refunds.

We’re talking about a game with a 90mil. budget and already selling in-game items ranging from just $50 to over $1,000 before its even finished, I can’t see many judges ignoring that. It gets thrown around a lot, but at this point they really are selling an unfinished game (or rather, parts of one). Its not just an investment anymore.

30. TeLin特林
    TeLin特林
    October 16, 2015 at 8:12 am

At least a game comes out soon after the exaggerations leave Howards mouth lol

31. Calem
    Calem
    October 16, 2015 at 11:55 am

I thought I made it obvious enough with the “Hoho”-laugh. Yes, I was being sarcastic. Is it that hard to distinguish from real StarCitizen fans?

32. Kain Yusanagi
    Kain Yusanagi
    October 16, 2015 at 7:22 pm

One million citizens. They deliberately conflate citizens and backers on their site and in communications so not surprising that Brandon and others were duped.

33. Kain Yusanagi
    Kain Yusanagi
    October 16, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Poe’s Law.

34. Matthew Hage
    Matthew Hage
    October 16, 2015 at 10:20 pm

One million people that’ll never get to play what they’re signing up/backing for. RIP.