The Terrorists Win – Broforce for PS Vita is Cancelled

broforce 09-29-15-1

PS Vita owners that have been patiently awaiting Free Lives’ side-scrolling action shooter Broforce are going to be quite upset, as the game’s Vita port is no longer in the works.

The news comes from a report over on TheVitaLounge, in which Free Lives’ Basil John Scordilis confirmed the PS Vita port being cancelled:

Although our original plans were for PS4 and PS Vita, this has since changed. We are currently only porting to PS4, not Vita. I know there hasn’t been any official coverage on this and for this I must apologize.

While it’s a shame to hear of the PS Vita version of Broforce being cancelled, at least we know the PlayStation 4 version is still on its way.

How do you guys feel about the handheld version being cancelled? Sound off in the comments below!

1. Nutty McSpazatron
    Nutty McSpazatron
    September 29, 2015 at 9:42 pm

At least it’ll hit PS4 so I can be a console peasant and play Broforce on my couch. :P

2. goodbyejojo
    goodbyejojo
    September 29, 2015 at 9:45 pm

probably because sony wants to kill off vita silently, they also canned galak-z for the vita

3. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    September 29, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Geez….its bad enough that Sony and their other 1st party developers dont want to make games for the Vita anymore, but now it seems like not even indie developers want to bother either.

4. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    September 29, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Terrorists? I think you mean… the REDS!
    I find it funny that the enemies in Broforce are Nazis in Communist Asia lead by an evil corporation that practice bomb suicides.

5. bf313
    bf313
    September 29, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I love my Vita and it bums me out when it loses games but nothing of value was lost here. So done with the retro revival games that cost like $15.

6. Siveon
    Siveon
    September 29, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Broforce isn’t a retro revival game.

7. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    September 29, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Heh, Vita owners aren’t bros…

8. Reon
    Reon
    September 29, 2015 at 10:38 pm

rev up those doom and gloom the vita is ded in the west commends

9. bf313
    bf313
    September 29, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Certainly looks like one by the art style, regardless i’m not spending $15 or even $10 on a game that looks like that.

10. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    September 29, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Because as far as Sony and developer are concerned the vita is dead.

11. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    September 29, 2015 at 11:07 pm

No surprise as they vita have little to no support anyway.

12. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    September 29, 2015 at 11:09 pm

PC gamers can play games from the couch as well. I know I do. :D

13. BlueLight
    BlueLight
    September 29, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Strange. assumed you did what i did and played games from your bed. I guess that’s just a PC thing.

14. Siveon
    Siveon
    September 29, 2015 at 11:30 pm

k.

15. Siveon
    Siveon
    September 29, 2015 at 11:32 pm

Sucks, lately I haven’t been seeing any decent indies to play on the go. At least I still have the PC version w/ a level editor.

16. Nutty McSpazatron
    Nutty McSpazatron
    September 29, 2015 at 11:34 pm

I haven’t hooked my PC up to my big TV (mainly because I don’t do Windows.)

But thanks for the PC Master Race representin’ ;)

17. OverlordZetta
    OverlordZetta
    September 29, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Really disappointed, honestly. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony’s been telling developers to not bother at this point.

September 30, 2015 at 12:08 am

Never heard of it.

19. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    September 30, 2015 at 12:08 am

As far as I know Sony didn’t have anything to do with either cancellation as both are third party games. I believe Galak-Z was canceled because the developer couldn’t get the Vita port to run well enough to sell.

20. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    September 30, 2015 at 12:09 am

Been received very well. Check out the free spinoff Expendabros on Steam.

21. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    September 30, 2015 at 12:11 am

What does Windows have to do with anything? Steam runs on Mac and Linux and there’s plenty of games on both now.

22. Richard Miller
    Richard Miller
    September 30, 2015 at 1:05 am

Yeah soon I will move to Linux. I will not go to windows 10.

23. landlock
    landlock
    September 30, 2015 at 3:20 am

its not like western developers are all over the 3ds either.

24. Jason MacKenzie
    Jason MacKenzie
    September 30, 2015 at 5:35 am

Honestly, the success of the PS4 was the worst thing that could have happened to the Vita. Some suggested that Remote Play would lead to more Vita sales, but so far that hasn’t happened (and likely never will). Meanwhile, the runaway success of the PS4 has meant that Sony (and third-party developers) have decided to throw all their eggs into one basket, completely ignoring their other systems (PS3, Vita, PSTV).

25. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    September 30, 2015 at 7:39 am

How the hell is it not?

26. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    September 30, 2015 at 7:40 am

Windows isn’t required for hooking a PC to a TV. What are you going on about?

27. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    September 30, 2015 at 7:42 am

Honestly indie titles like this always sell best on PC. Remember all of Xbox 360’s big XBLA hits? Most sold tenfold on Steam.

28. Lester Paredes
    Lester Paredes
    September 30, 2015 at 7:52 am

That bums me out. If it doesn’t come out on vita, I’m not going to get it. I’m that way with almost all indie games, though, unless it’s something that I hear is really really good. These kinds of games (for me) work best while I’m on the go. i tend to use my PS$ for games that I want to play on the big screen. Like The Witcher, Mortal Kombat X, Metal Gear V. I’ll get it when it eventually drops for free with PS Plus, and if it never does, then that settles that, I guess.

29. Siveon
    Siveon
    September 30, 2015 at 8:02 am

Art style aside, it plays nothing like a “retro” game. The terraforming, knife-climbing, body physics and generally the way shooting is done feels nothing like action platformers of the past. At least of the popular kind.

There are too many modern traits this game has for me to effectively place it among games like Shovel Knight.

30. DwightParkman
    DwightParkman
    September 30, 2015 at 9:19 am

western games suck ass so there is virtually no loss.

31. Nagato
    Nagato
    September 30, 2015 at 10:02 am

That’s a good attitude to have if you want to miss out on a lot of great games for no good reason.

32. BlueLight
    BlueLight
    September 30, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Windows! My main driver is linux. I think the real limitation would be your gpu and drivers it use but not the os. I believe mac parts are mostly manufactured in house so they might not have any gpu with hdmi ports but other than that it shouldn’t be a os problem

33. Malcolm_Ecks
    Malcolm_Ecks
    September 30, 2015 at 4:33 pm

What? The knife climbing is just aesthetic but runs nearly the same as Gunstar Heroes and a few others. The shooting likes like a LOT of run and gun games of the past. Gunstar Heroes is a pretty big influence gameplay wise with Broforce. Contra too. The body physics are about the only “modern” trait the game has. Otherwise it plays a lot like many run and gunners of the past.

34. Siveon
    Siveon
    September 30, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Terraforming, which goes along with the knife climbing, the ambush mechanic, the level editor, I could go on.

When a game has similar elements to older games, that usually means it’s part of the same genre. It’s not a 1:1 attempt at bringing back the classics.

35. Nutty McSpazatron
    Nutty McSpazatron
    September 30, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I have shit-tacularly old PCs running linux. I just haven’t gotten around to upgrading. It’s on my to-do list… SteamOS is the primary reason why. As they stand now my fairly old dual core athlons are just chugging along fine with Mint 17… I haven’t felt the need to get busy with upgrades. :)

That’s one of the beauties of Linux in my opinion. It doesn’t obsolete your hardware every 3 years. :)

36. Nutty McSpazatron
    Nutty McSpazatron
    September 30, 2015 at 6:28 pm

I have an OLD Linux machine that doesn’t do well on a big monitor. I’ve been meaning to upgrade… and SteamOS is making that more palatable.

I’ve just never seen the need to plug the old PC into a TV before now is all. Most windows users have moved on to the living room.. that’s the only point I was making.

37. Nutty McSpazatron
    Nutty McSpazatron
    September 30, 2015 at 6:29 pm

My Linux PC is a bit too old to be on my giant TV… that’s all. Windows machines have been good about doing that for a while…. that’s my only point.

Every post should come with a disclaimer, I guess.

38. fnd
    fnd
    October 1, 2015 at 7:22 am

weaboo detected :^)

39. DwightParkman
    DwightParkman
    October 1, 2015 at 11:03 am

yeaaaah because fps games play great on handhelds right?

40. Benjamin_nl
    Benjamin_nl
    October 28, 2015 at 3:06 pm

i know it is an old comment bud it is cancelled for psvita because the devoloper put in a level editor and couldnt get that up and running on psvita.

41. InfectedAI
    InfectedAI
    October 28, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Interesting. Seems a bit of a silly reason to cancel the entire game. Have a source for that? I’d like to read about it in more detail. Also thanks for the response.

42. Benjamin_nl
    Benjamin_nl
    October 28, 2015 at 6:26 pm

yes it’s confirmed by the devolopers.
    go to there facebook page https://www.facebook.com/freelivesgames/?fref=nf .

its the one with the headline

Lots of death metal make up was the real reason for our faithful Early Access backers. Thanks bros!

i celebrated them on the pc release getting out of early acces.
    and told them that i couldn’t wait for the ps4 psvita release.
    they told me ps4 only bro no psvita.

43. Joel Anderson
    Joel Anderson
    January 1, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Wow…people buy ps4 to play 8-bit games. What has this industry come to? Next Atari can bring back the 7800 for 300 bucks, 50 bucks per cart.