Tatsumi Kimishima is the New President of Nintendo

Tatsumi Kimishima 09-14-15-2

Nintendo has announced their new representative director and president, following the passing of former president Satoru Iwata this past July.

Featured above, Tatsumi Kimishima is now the president and representative director of Nintendo. He joined The Pokemon Company in 2000, only to later move on to Nintendo of America in 2002, while finally becoming the director and chairman of Nintendo of America in 2006.

Nintendo also confirmed some director role changes. Shigeru Miyamoto is now the company’s “Creative Fellow,” Genyo Takeda is now the “Technology Fellow,” and more. You can find the entire list of role changes here.

1. Nagato
    Nagato
    September 14, 2015 at 7:49 am

Hopefully he won’t be a second Iwata, but rather manage to take the west into account as much as his former positions indicate he should.

Also digging his Yamauchi-style glasses in the pic above, although it seems he’s wearing somewhat sleeker ones nowadays.

2. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    September 14, 2015 at 8:37 am

If you want western games, buy an XB1 or PS4.

3. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    September 14, 2015 at 8:49 am

I have a bad Feeling about this, if he is as profit oriented as it sounds we will never see an exclusive Platinum game again. In the worst case Scenario he turns Ninty into a japanese EA… *pukes*

4. DwightParkman
    DwightParkman
    September 14, 2015 at 9:06 am

Let’s hope he doesn’t do any of the ideas you are suggesting :)

September 14, 2015 at 9:28 am

Does that look like the face of mercy?

6. Porkchop
    Porkchop
    September 14, 2015 at 9:30 am

I’m a little apprehensive

7. Nagato
    Nagato
    September 14, 2015 at 9:38 am

Don’t misunderstand me, what I desire isn’t for Nintendo’s upcoming devices to be another example of mere imitations of what’s possible on PC.

What I want want is for Nintendo to carve out their own market by playing to their strengths in software, while at the same time creating a platform/ecosystem that’s desirable enough to be an actually viable product.

The Nintendo I fell in love with sold decent hardware at prices reasonable enough to fall in impulse purchase territory – which parents actually got for their kids – instead of selling a 2005-specced console for its 2005 price in 2012 and beyond.

And they certainly didn’t they segment their market as much as the current Nintendo does by necessitating the purchase of so many controllers and add-ons if you wanted to play everything, to the point where most simply don’t care to keep track of everything anymore.

All they need is a simple console for a simple price, and strengthen third party relationships to the extent of getting at least most Japanese third parties and Western indies on board. Anything beyond that will be but a bonus.

8. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    September 14, 2015 at 9:57 am

Not sure what to think about this man. From what I read though he seems a very heavy in the financial side of things so take that as you will. One could say he can help make Nintendo even more profit, but as to how, I do not know. Maybe he can also find a way for Nintendo of Japan to stop being butts on Youtube with all the shut downs of speed runs and ROM hacks while he’s at it. Guess we shall see.

9. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    September 14, 2015 at 10:00 am

Him reminding you of Yamuchi isn’t a good sign to me. He was a fucking hard-ass and somewhat close minded kind of president. For example I remember him being extremely bitter with Square Enix (then Squaresoft) for years when they went to develop games for Sony that even when SE wanted to come back ind develop for Nintendo again he utterly refused to work with them.

Not saying this man will do the same but….you never know.

10. Porkchop
    Porkchop
    September 14, 2015 at 10:14 am

Most western indies are absolute trash

I don’t see how not giving two shits about them would be “foolish”

11. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    September 14, 2015 at 10:35 am

Again, I don’t want to sound like a Nintendrone, but that guy was partenered with them on Youtube and was using emulators. So he was breaking their terms of service.
    Youtube was the worst thing to happen to Nintendo because people keep whining about it instead of focusing on their actual problems like region locking, digital only games, NoA being idiots, their lack of promoting third parties, etc.

12. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    September 14, 2015 at 10:45 am

I don’t know, Yamauchi was also pretty oriented in finances, right? And games like Conker were developed under his presidency. All he has to do is follow correctly the projects that Iwata left until they can groom a new president like him.

13. Neojames82
    Neojames82
    September 14, 2015 at 10:48 am

True, there are more serious problems Nintendo has but the Youtube thing for sure isn’t helping.

14. djluke_1993
    djluke_1993
    September 14, 2015 at 10:49 am

Not sure if Nichegamer or anyone else has read it yet. But he is pretty much going to follow what Iwata was doing so he can future proof Nintendo.

15. Nagato
    Nagato
    September 14, 2015 at 11:22 am

Even better; under Yamauchi Nintendo of America actually had the capability to independently pursue and sign a partnership with Rare in 1986, which lead to arguably some of the best games to ever grace their systems, from Battletoads and DKC to Banjo and Conker.

The president of Rare, Chris Stamper and NoA’s leadership

Iwata’s NoA was essentially just a glorified localization branch, to the extent such an independence has become unthinkable. Could you imagine the current NoA commissioning an exclusive game to expand their portfolio? Or even managing to get a port of whatever the next big thing is going to be?

16. Mike Nieto
    Mike Nieto
    September 14, 2015 at 11:25 am

He looks scary.

17. DariusQ
    DariusQ
    September 14, 2015 at 11:28 am

Finishing up Iwata’s work goes without saying, its what Kimishima does going forward that has me worried.

18. Misogynerd
    Misogynerd
    September 14, 2015 at 11:37 am

I do think it’s mostly exaggeration coming from Youtubers like AngryJoe. They do have good relationships with guys like The Completionist, GameXplain Jwittz and ProJared (not completely sure about that one). Plus they haven’t touched events like AGDQ and guys like Vinesauce.

19. J_Joestar
    J_Joestar
    September 14, 2015 at 11:44 am

Mercy is for the weak.

20. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    September 14, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I hope you’re right…

21. Demetirus
    Demetirus
    September 14, 2015 at 1:34 pm

I worry about having someone as money focused as this as the replacement for Iwata, but I’m not ready to claim doom and gloom. Maybe it’s just because he kinda reminds me of my grandfather in his appearance, but I’m willing to give him a chance. I liked where Iwata was going and what he was doing. I liked his personality and thought he was really good at connecting with Nintendo fans and potential fans. I want to see if this guy can do the same. Is that the face of a hardass who loves you, or just a hardass?

I guess I’m still at ‘lets wait and see’ with this fellow.

September 14, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Won’t even guess until I start seeing some of his policies in action.

23. No_Good_Names_Ever
    No_Good_Names_Ever
    September 14, 2015 at 4:57 pm

No one that’s focused on money would ever do that with Nintendo. Worse that could happen is all the games becoming Fisher Price tier.

24. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    September 15, 2015 at 12:13 am

Mixed feelings on this, it could go both ways, I’ll wait to see how he performs before placing any judgements.