Rejoice – No Censorship or Fatigue System for the Western Version of Blade & Soul

With the recent announcement that NCSoft’s Blade & Soul was finally coming west this winter, many fans wondered just exactly how the game would be – following a long time in the pipeline since its original localization announcement years ago.

Featured above, a livestream was held with the development staff to answer fan questions, following the game’s western release announcement. While the game will be free-to-play, we know now that there will be no pay-to-win elements, and there will be no fatigue or vigor system – which is something the Chinese version in fact does have.

One of the biggest things to take away from the livestream is the fact that the game will remain completely uncensored. The western localization is not a direct port of the Asian version, so instead fans can expect the most up to date version of the game, however, it will be launching with only the first three acts of the story, so that players don’t blast through everything all at once.

NCSoft is looking at how quickly players progress through the first three acts, so they can gauge how and when to release the remaining three acts, as the Asian versions are currently up to act six. The western servers for the game will be located in Texas and Germany, and there is currently no plans to region-block, although this may change in the future. If you’ve had a character in the Asian version, you cannot transfer it to the western versions.

Finally, the reasoning behind the delay for the western version is because they’re not literally translating the text – they’re adapting it to make it more enjoyable and easier to get into. NCSoft also made a point in saying this is not only for their English users, but for those who prefer French, and German, as well.

1. Dammage
    Dammage
    May 23, 2015 at 3:53 pm

How’s the gameplay for this game? I get bored to death by most MMOs because of their repetitive nature and typically uninteresting story

2. Brandon Orselli
    May 23, 2015 at 3:59 pm

You can see a bit of gameplay in the stream, in the article.

3. Karo
    Karo
    May 23, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Great! Been a long time coming, glad to see they didn’t censor anything.

4. LostGryphon
    LostGryphon
    May 23, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Finally! Was just thinkin’ about the game a couple days back. Hadn’t heard any news in forever.

Color me excited.

5. Loli-Nox-Tan
    Loli-Nox-Tan
    May 23, 2015 at 4:11 pm

It just screams Guild Wars to me. I don’t know how one company having two similar games competing with each other is going to end

6. Eldhin Hellknight
    Eldhin Hellknight
    May 23, 2015 at 4:11 pm

NO censorship on western release??? wow…. that’s the proff that sometimes, dreams come true

7. Fenrir7
    Fenrir7
    May 23, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Excellent! :D

8. yukitron
    yukitron
    May 23, 2015 at 4:48 pm

good stuff. Can’t wait. been playing the chinese version for a bit, but I can’t get by without a party and I can’t find anyone to party up with XD

9. Locjus
    Locjus
    May 23, 2015 at 4:58 pm

VICTORY SCREECH!

10. Turt
    Turt
    May 23, 2015 at 5:24 pm

It’s late but at least they are doing it right.
    Congratulations on choosing to respect the game and the audience and not censoring anything like so many idiots seem to do in the industry.

I seriously ponder if the delay really is for the sake of the translation or if it was really something to do with the business side, and if it really was about the translation is it even worth it?
    Most people don’t read MMO text, MMO story or care about any of those things in my experience.

11. Joel Leonheart
    Joel Leonheart
    May 23, 2015 at 5:51 pm

That’s good news (If true) I really want to play this game again :) (once tried the Russian version)

12. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    May 23, 2015 at 6:01 pm

The problem is that the MMO genre is general is dying. Even WoW’s player numbers are finally starting to dive. The genre just doesn’t excite like it used to.

13. Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    May 23, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Good. Now if we don’t see censorship for 15 or Xenoblade Chronicles X, then I’m good for the year.

14. Azure
    Azure
    May 23, 2015 at 6:28 pm

No Blizzard killed wow by making it pointless to go out into the MMO leaving you to play around in a hub zone alone at max level. They destroyed player interaction completely with WoD. They have set the example of going too far to streamline everything.

15. Hinafag
    Hinafag
    May 23, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I only played one class on a bootleg server for just a wef weeks, so my impression can be way off, but I think combat is highlight of this game.

A lot of attacks not only deal damage but also apply hitstun and/or push enemies away, there are even launchers and grabs.

It’s still mmo but at times it feels like a proper beat em up – you can dish out a lot of punishment without taking a scratch .

16. MotherofFish
    MotherofFish
    May 23, 2015 at 8:11 pm

No0ooooooi0000ooo00oo0o0
    F2P destroyed Archeage. Most fun I’ve ever had in an MMO was AA’s Alpha but they butt destroyed that game.

17. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    May 23, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I’m always glad for no censorship. Good work!

18. RetroGamer
    RetroGamer
    May 23, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Hope this becomes a lasting trend.

19. Steven T.
    Steven T.
    May 23, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Out of morbid curiousity, I wondered why that Dariani guy said it’s weird for him to say his last name in Japanese. Then I looked. Ohhhhh boy this is rich.

Dariani = ダリアニ, or in this case, ダリアに
    So…
    ダリアに= da ri a ni = the rear in = In The Rear!

But I digress. Lord know I love my some Hyung Tae-Kim art, so I’m already hyped for this game.

20. Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    May 23, 2015 at 10:03 pm

My friend described it to me like this: Kingdom Hearts with more jumping and gliding.

21. SolidSalamander
    SolidSalamander
    May 23, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Glad to hear! I’d like to think that this will wind up being a pretty good game, the art is certainly gorgeous.

22. Domhnall
    Domhnall
    May 23, 2015 at 10:38 pm

“No censorship”

But if there’s no censorship, what can I bitch about? They’re even removing that awful fatigue system! Fantastic!

I mean, I AM a little worried about how they’re “adapting” the text, but…as long as the spirit is the same, I suppose I can get behind it.

23. Eleven Fold
    Eleven Fold
    May 23, 2015 at 10:38 pm

I wouldn’t rejoice just yet. I left this on their video so I can get some clarification. But I noticed at 29:11 they are playing as the censored Chinese version of the female Jin.

I hope this is not the case but I think they are planning on using the Chinese version of the game so they can say that they themselves are not personally censoring the game while purposely leaving out the fact that they are using the Chinese censored version of the game.

This would also would explain when they answered the dual audio question the said Korean and Chinese. I thought that it was weird that they included Chinese and did not just say Korean only.

24. Domhnall
    Domhnall
    May 23, 2015 at 10:39 pm

I literally JUST posted that there finally didn’t seem to be a localization I could bitch about.

Don’t make me eat my words…

25. Eleven Fold
    Eleven Fold
    May 23, 2015 at 10:44 pm

I really hope I am wrong and they can clarify this.

26. Turt
    Turt
    May 23, 2015 at 11:01 pm

That would be one hell of a sneaky move.
    Guys “we” didn’t censor it! It was already censored..

27. Brandon Orselli
    May 23, 2015 at 11:34 pm

I hope you’re wrong, too. I mean, they did say it’s not a straight port of the Asian version, so perhaps that goes into the Asian version’s censorship? I’ve reached out to NCSoft regarding this

28. OverlordZetta
    OverlordZetta
    May 24, 2015 at 12:35 am

PSO2 seems to be doing okay.

Hunting games are also sort of like MMOs, to an extent.

29. Wand
    Wand
    May 24, 2015 at 6:09 am

2015: a time where you have to be thankful games don’t get censored. Kinda sad.

30. Takane Shijou
    Takane Shijou
    May 24, 2015 at 10:59 am

Honestly, I see the delay was in part due to the decision to have WildStar be the ‘Right game’ for the West. Look at everything leading up to December 2012 and it looked like it was on track, but then we had WS start to gain traction and they shelved BnS localization in hopes of having that explode with popularity and you saw how that ended.

So now that everything is said and done, they want to finally bring it out since if they would’ve just thrown this out as a F2P with a cash shop aimed at people to gain small bonuses and dress up they probably would’ve earned more than all that time/effort/money spent on WS. But that’s just how I see it, the localization process is lengthy, but not two and a half years lengthy considering how adamant the process seemed at first.

Still, I’m glad to finally be able to play this with friends and such. Looking forward to hearing more about the testing periods.

31. guyman
    guyman
    May 24, 2015 at 2:03 pm

first i thought “NCsoft in charge of mmos… it’s gonna have something wrong with it” but everything looked pretty good. 40 min in, they show off the pvp-breaking guild wars death mechanic. yeah, it’s already unplayable. forget about 1v2s, your skill doesn’t matter in this game.

32. Mr.Calavera
    Mr.Calavera
    May 24, 2015 at 3:26 pm

That’s great news to hear.

33. Eleven Fold
    Eleven Fold
    May 24, 2015 at 3:34 pm

It turns out they were playing as the Kun which the Korea version the armor looks like that. Which the Jin have the same armor set but it doesn’t have any pants but the Kun armor does. In the chinese version they put pants on the on the Jin version so the censored Jin looks like the regular Kun which is why I got confused. Thank god I was wrong.

34. Cheese sticks
    Cheese sticks
    May 24, 2015 at 4:23 pm

yeah, they were trying so hard to ship wildstar, but shit sucks

35. Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    May 24, 2015 at 4:40 pm

THANK GOD.

36. Alistair
    Alistair
    May 24, 2015 at 5:49 pm

1st moe chronicics uncensored English & Chinese version & now this a 2nd game uncensored.

I approve I hope Devs take note from this. ☺️

37. Etherblaze
    Etherblaze
    May 24, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Wow, no censorship. THICK THIGHS AND LONG LEGS
    HERE
    I
    COME

38. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    May 25, 2015 at 10:13 am

I don’t get it. What are we supposed to be ‘not’ censoring that makes Blade and Soul so… (checks screenshots)… oh.

Massive plots. I get it.

39. Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    Juan Manuel M. Suárez
    May 25, 2015 at 10:18 am

It’s a very thick and developed plot, ok~?

40. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    May 25, 2015 at 10:21 am

“Rule 35: Gotta enjoy the little things.”

41. Sylveria Shini
    Sylveria Shini
    May 25, 2015 at 6:33 pm

MMOs as a genre are doing just fine, better than ever actually. WoW is losing part of their market share to other products. That’s a good thing. It means there’s more high quality competition around.

42. Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    Dr. Evil's Brother's Evil Twin
    May 26, 2015 at 7:29 pm

The art style is fucking beautiful and censoring it would be doing it a disservice.

43. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    May 27, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Warhammer failed. Rift failed. Secret World failed. TOR failed. Guild Wars 2 is doing ok at best, as are a few others.

The genre is simply unsustainable at this point because the playerbase is too experienced. They consume content far, far faster than developers can produce it, and mediocre half polished experiences are no longer acceptable.

44. Sylveria Shini
    Sylveria Shini
    May 31, 2015 at 4:56 pm

You have a strange definition of “failure” if the games still running and doing better than they ever did now that they’re FTP (except Warhammer) is ‘failed’. Were they the WoW killers that people thought they were gonna be? No, but they still have a dedicated, paying and playing fan base and are consistently pulling a profit.

45. Nicholas E. Rogers
    Nicholas E. Rogers
    June 30, 2015 at 1:14 am

NOW I can get behind this game. The US’s pansy attitude toward this type of art had me just knowing we’d get a kindergarten version. Happy to see devs standing up for their art.

46. Alistair
    Alistair
    November 22, 2015 at 1:52 pm

6 months is a long time in the games industry & things can go pear shape quickly & this game is 1 of them.

It been reported the game is being altered ( censored ) if true they lying so-so.

47. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    November 23, 2015 at 4:39 am

Yep, and the info beens posted up on Reddit, 4chan and 8chan. So not only there are game developers/publishers milking gamers out of their wallets, but have been caught straight up laying to their fanbase too. This is indeed the dark ages of gaming

48. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    November 23, 2015 at 6:58 am

Welp… So much for not censoring anything…

49. Final Agent
    Final Agent
    November 23, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Annnnd censored.

50. Cats736
    Cats736
    December 9, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Turns out they lied, they’ve heavily censored the script.

51. NepgearAffinity
    NepgearAffinity
    December 15, 2015 at 5:55 am

Yeah, it honestly makes me hate not being able to move out of the country *JUST* to enjoy a game the way it was meant to be played. Also learning languages isn’t that easy either.

52. Adam James
    Adam James
    January 18, 2016 at 6:19 pm

lol yeah. It sucks tbh. Here are the current complaints and changes.

The localization team is deleting posts on the forums which
    criticize their decisions instead of forwarding the posts to
    CM’s/Moderators.

Quests are being altered to remove content they find personally offensive or not “welcoming” enough.

Story/NPC dialogue being altered to turn the player into a
    strict hero archetype with no moral failings or ambiguity. Villains are
    now stereotypical cartoon-tier evil.

Lingerie removed and turned into cash shop item. Replaced with regular bra and panties, default poses also changed.

Surnames are being erased by mashing them together with
    given names (example: Bruce Wayne becomes Brucewayne, Do Chun becomes
    Dochun)

53. SiliconNooB
    SiliconNooB
    January 20, 2016 at 11:11 am

This is not how you do successful business… :/