Konami Issues DMCA Takedown of Video Discussing Situation with Hideo Kojima

hideo kojima 05-11-15-1

If you’ve been following the entire debacle with Konami and legendary game developer Hideo Kojima, you’d know that the company is mostly keeping things quiet. However, a recent DMCA takedown by the company has led us to believe they’re now actively silencing discussion of the company proper, and Kojima himself.

The video, (now removed, but here’s a mirror upload), was produced by Youtuber George Weidman, who goes by the username of Super Bunnyhop. The video talked about the rumors surrounding the company and Kojima, but this apparently was grounds for the company to flag it with a copyright notice.

Here’s a screen capture of the video, from the NeoGAF thread made for the discussion:

konami kojima 05-11-15-1

We’ve seen Youtube videos regarding video games taken down for excessive nudity, or even from game developers to silence criticism of critics, but this is a bit much. We’ve reached out to Konami for a comment.

1. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    May 11, 2015 at 12:01 pm

“Super Bunnyhop”
    As a member of GJP he’s the last person who should be pitied for conspiracy working against him.

2. Electrobeard
    Electrobeard
    May 11, 2015 at 12:06 pm

He was always neutral and fair about things, though–remember that William Usher was on the list, too.

I saw the video myself and it was fascinating. There was nothing there that truly justified a takedown, but I can understand why Konami wanted it gone–it went deep, and made them look pretty bad.

3. beerhammer
    beerhammer
    May 11, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Any alternate links for the video? Its time for the Streisand effect to kick in.

4. Carlos Roberto
    Carlos Roberto
    May 11, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Koijma should’ve been fired after the nonsense called MGS4.

But anyway, now he’s free and can make more cinematic games full of plot holes. Maybe he should work with David Cage.

5. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    May 11, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Did SB leak anything? No? Fuck him.

6. Brandon Orselli
    May 11, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Added it to the OP. Sorry about that!

7. landlock
    landlock
    May 11, 2015 at 12:23 pm

This make them look pretty bad to, not that they seem to care anymore.

8. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    May 11, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Let us not dismiss every member of the GJP, not only did he give GamerGate a fairer shot than most but he has yet to do anything questionable but happen to be on the list.

9. Demetirus
    Demetirus
    May 11, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I have to agree. I don’t believe in guilt by association, even if it is to something as scummy as the GJP. Just doesn’t sit right with me.

As for Konami doing this, poor suckers don’t realize that this will only draw more attention to it. Some folks just don’t understand that good ole Streisand effect.

10. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    May 11, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Oh shoot, did someone say damage control on steroids?

11. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    May 11, 2015 at 12:28 pm

It shouldn’t be necessary for SB or any other GJP member to burn bridges simply to prove they aren’t corrupt or their investigations which put professionals to shame are worthy of staying on YouTube or up for discussion.

12. MT Silver
    MT Silver
    May 11, 2015 at 12:29 pm

This ain’t damage control. This is pouring gasoline on the fire. Taking the video down with a false copyright claim sends the message that there’s truth to SuperBunnyhop’s claims.

13. BeholdMyPower
    BeholdMyPower
    May 11, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Konami has lost their fucking mind. At this rate I wouldn’t be surprised to hear they’re cancelling MGS5

14. Dom The Elegy
    Dom The Elegy
    May 11, 2015 at 12:35 pm

And now you go after one of your biggest and most loyal fans (SuperBunnyHop)? Goddamn Konami. You really raise being assholes to a whole new level.

15. Phelan
    Phelan
    May 11, 2015 at 12:36 pm

… I see people mentioning this “konami”… so… is that supposed to be some kind of sushi or something?

I once knew a company where great guy named Kojima worked… but it can’t be them…

16. mmcookjr
    mmcookjr
    May 11, 2015 at 12:37 pm

I guess Super Bunnyhop had more on Konami that can put a very questionable light on their CEO.

17. Cecilthedarknight_28
    Cecilthedarknight_28
    May 11, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Konami what the fuck happened to you?!

18. Dammage
    Dammage
    May 11, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Really hope Koji Pro leaves together and forms a new studio. Maybe Capcom can take them under their wing, I’m sure anything would be better than Konami

19. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    May 11, 2015 at 1:39 pm

There’s a difference between “guilt by association” and “guilt by voluntary membership in group of bad actors”

He voluntarily choose to be a member of a group dedicated to journalistic conspiracy and has never said anything against it. Taking this to mean he supports said conspiracy is entirely reasonable.

20. Doc Hammer
    Doc Hammer
    May 11, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Holy shit Konami. DMCA abuses were a huge factor in kicking off GamerGate and now you want to piss those same people off by silencing fair content? Yeah, smart.

And to those who are for some reason okay with this because SBH was in GJP: that doesn’t matter at all. He’s the victim of the same type of things that upset us last year. Not only is he totally in the right, but he produced the video which included the interview with the journalism professor that spelled out, in black and white, that what was being done in gaming journalism was unethical.

21. Demetirus
    Demetirus
    May 11, 2015 at 2:02 pm

It may be naive of me, but I don’t believe that people joined that group with any sort of ill intent. The fact that there were those in the group who used it for ill does not speak anything to me about the others in the group who were not shown to have been using it for collusion or anything else untoward.

Does it raise questions about them? Sure. I can’t fault any one for now being suspicious of folks in that group, particularly if they didn’t call out the bad things that were happening, but I can’t paint them as guilty of the same crimes as those who were actively doing wrong. It just doesn’t work for me on a personal level.

I do think you’re being a bit hyperbolic here, particularly with the comparison to the KKK, but I also think I can see why. Members of that group have really treated gamers/consumers with the utmost contempt and I really can’t fault you your position of giving them and those that associate with them the same. I just can’t feel the same way no matter how hard I try. I’d rather judge them by their own actions, not by the actions of those they associate with.

22. Random45
    Random45
    May 11, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I remember watching this video and thinking a LOT of it was really far fetched, but now that Konami actively took it down, it makes me wonder how close to the truth it actually was.

They had absolutely no grounds for removing the video either. Youtube has such a bullshit system.

23. Akumanoid
    Akumanoid
    May 11, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Nothing says “guilty” like trying to cover up mere rumors.

24. NuclearCherries
    NuclearCherries
    May 11, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Fucking hell Konami what are you doing?

25. Akumanoid
    Akumanoid
    May 11, 2015 at 3:13 pm

GJP was a collusive group, but it clearly wasn’t the borg.

26. tccboss
    tccboss
    May 11, 2015 at 3:41 pm

That video must have gotten something right for them to take that down, I think it may have struck a nerve.

27. phagette
    phagette
    May 11, 2015 at 4:30 pm

BARBRA STREISAND
    A
    R
    B
    R
    A

28. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    May 11, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Konami were already having a really bad year following some others which were merely okay, so perhaps they could have had a bit of dignity if Kojima’s last work was great and he left with some KojiPro folks and others like we’ve been expecting.

Odds are that we wouldn’t hear them speak of their employment issues in 2015 for years to come if ever, much like Hideki Kamiya doesn’t hate Capcom or enjoy people talking shit about them.

Seems they couldn’t restrict adding to the flames. I can expect even more people to support Igarashi’s Bloodstained emblazed by Konami’s recent actions.

29. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    May 11, 2015 at 6:12 pm

I love me some SuperBunnyhop so when I saw this happen this morning before I went to work I thought some serious shit was going down. Get back to see it’s back up, which is good, but the fact it got pulled at all is still sketchy as fuck. Either way I’ve been firmly on the “don’t trust Konami” side for a while on this whole issue and this only confirms it in my eyes.

30. Turt
    Turt
    May 11, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Thanks copywrong.

31. 4rch1m3d35
    4rch1m3d35
    May 11, 2015 at 6:32 pm

What you don’t know is that Konami is trying to be the first corporation to commit Seppuku.

32. 21603
    21603
    May 11, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Wouldn’t be the first time a game has been cancelled just before release.

33. Matthew Dolby
    Matthew Dolby
    May 11, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Happy Console Gamer was hit with a DMCA by Konami recently to.

34. Dave
    Dave
    May 11, 2015 at 7:41 pm

And on that note, Konami is pretty much dead to me.

35. Random Dude
    Random Dude
    May 11, 2015 at 9:40 pm

To quote the infamous hiimdaisy webcomic: CONSPIRACY THEORY CONSPIRACY THEORY CONSPIRACY THEORY !!!!1!!

36. buddyluv324
    buddyluv324
    May 11, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I would say its between Konami, Sega and Capcom

37. Zanard Bell
    Zanard Bell
    May 11, 2015 at 10:29 pm

If you do this, Sega, I will hunt you bitches down.

You have the 40K license, use it wisely.

38. Darkslicer
    Darkslicer
    May 12, 2015 at 12:00 am

Konami’s quickly going the way of Capcom, but even WORSE it seems. Stupid decision making at the highest levels, disconnected from what gamers actually want, filing copyright claims against FAIR USE content, and all-around insanity.

39. plasmacutter
    plasmacutter
    May 12, 2015 at 4:56 am

And to think these big houses used to be the niche developer upstarts 25 years ago.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

40. chaoguy
    chaoguy
    May 12, 2015 at 11:50 am

“Should we discuss this and tell people what happened-”
    “No! Silence discussion! They’ll get bored or distracted by games eventually!”

41. メタラーにゃあ~
    メタラーにゃあ~
    May 12, 2015 at 4:39 pm

If anything, the best course of action for the team is to go indie. I believe it’s been made clear that working for these old Japanese companies is not beneficial to developers whatsoever.

42. Dammage
    Dammage
    May 12, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I really don’t think they can afford that though. They have a huge team, where will they get the money to pay their staff?

43. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    May 12, 2015 at 7:35 pm

What a goddamn disgrace of a company.

44. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    May 12, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Seriously. Who says they didn’t join just to lurk and watch the discussions of others? Is signing up for a forum approving anything posted in it now?

45. A Real Libertarian
    A Real Libertarian
    May 12, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Offering shares would help with that.

Don’t know about other expenses.

46. TeLin特林
    TeLin特林
    May 13, 2015 at 4:01 am

I didn’t even know SBH, or any YT people, were on GJP…

But yeah, it doesn’t, or shouldn’t, matter if it’s done to someone who is or isn’t an “SJW” as some say.