Dragon Ball Super, the First New Season in 18 Years, is Revealed

dragon ball 0428151

We’ve learned that a new season of Dragon Ball is coming.

The new season, dubbed simply Dragon Ball Chou (chou is Japanese for super), is being written by Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama.

While details are scant, we know the new story will take place after Goku defeats Majin Buu.

Goku’s Japanese voice actor, Masako Nozawa, said the reasoning behind their use of the subtitle is that chou is constantly used throughout the franchise in games, shows, and so on.

Dragon Ball Super is set to air in Japan this July.

Source: Famitsu (via Kotaku)

1. spikain
    spikain
    April 28, 2015 at 8:52 am

“Over 9000” doesn’t even describe this hype.

2. masterninja
    masterninja
    April 28, 2015 at 8:59 am

I will have to raise my power level before all this!

3. vileBrenman
    vileBrenman
    April 28, 2015 at 9:01 am

So this is basically the official GT taking place after Z and being anime only but this time it’s cannon

4. Azure
    Azure
    April 28, 2015 at 9:14 am

I know it wont happen… But please do not make Goku the main focus again.

5. vileBrenman
    vileBrenman
    April 28, 2015 at 9:20 am

They should focus on Goten… poor boy never got to shine like Gohan what with defeating cell and all…

6. pepsi
    pepsi
    April 28, 2015 at 9:36 am

Gotta keep that nostalgia train going.
    At least they aren’t just re releasing z again.

7. Mr. Phazon
    Mr. Phazon
    April 28, 2015 at 9:40 am

Wow, has it really been 18 years? The Cell saga was the last really good DBZ season in my opinion, Buu Saga was okay, then I lost interest when GT came out.

Hope it’s as good as Saiyan/Frieza/Android/Cell Saga’s, bring the magic back, because I feel it’s been lacking lately.

8. evilmajikman
    evilmajikman
    April 28, 2015 at 9:43 am

Definitely not going to happen. They’re just going to give him a dozen more transformations that we’ve already seen. The only difference being hair color. Also what is the point of Uub when Goku is a God? Yeah? Forgot about Uub? If Goku knows Uub can never be as powerful as something like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, wtf was the point of the final episode?

9. boag
    boag
    April 28, 2015 at 9:59 am

the hype train has no stops

10. JackDandy
    JackDandy
    April 28, 2015 at 10:02 am

whaaaaaaat

11. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    April 28, 2015 at 10:48 am

Please for the love of whatever you consider holy, do not ruin this franchize!

12. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    April 28, 2015 at 10:49 am

How did Gohan get a chance to shine? His old man took his place as the main protagonist!

13. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    April 28, 2015 at 10:51 am

While I agree with you, the reality is that it won’t happen. The precedent was alresdy set, by Goku taking Gohans place as the main character during the Buu saga.

14. Jack Ripper
    Jack Ripper
    April 28, 2015 at 11:05 am

Goku will save the day like usual.

Toriyama says Piccolo is his favorite character and we all know how much of a bench warmer he is.

15. deadeye
    deadeye
    April 28, 2015 at 11:16 am

Yeah, you know. That one time he defeated Cell.

Oh but wait. He only managed to defeat him with help from his dad. Who was dead.

Oh but then, he got super strong in the Buu saga! Toriyama even confirmed he was the strongest non-fused character in the series! He was defeated almost immediately though.

Um….he beat Bojack? Too bad that wasn’t canon…

Poor Gohan. Gets upstaged by Goku almost more than Vegeta.

16. PmcC
    PmcC
    April 28, 2015 at 11:17 am

Well lets remember end of the Cell Saga Gohan Strongest in the universe till Goku came back in the Buu saga.

17. PmcC
    PmcC
    April 28, 2015 at 11:19 am

Will this be continuing on from Revival of F and the with Goku and Vegata going Super Sayian God Super Sayian forms, and yes thats what their literally called that.

April 28, 2015 at 11:34 am

I really disliked the direction Battle of the Gods took. I’m not yet sure how to feel about this. Revival of F looks silly (Blue hair – really?).

Even with all its flaws GT had a good ending that put the series to rest(I know it is not canon).

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

19. Joel Leonheart
    Joel Leonheart
    April 28, 2015 at 11:36 am

That’s cool

20. Ryan Barrett
    Ryan Barrett
    April 28, 2015 at 11:58 am

Cha-la, head cha-la!

21. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    April 28, 2015 at 12:21 pm

But will it have cute girls doing cute things?

22. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    April 28, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Bojack is at least the Toei film with the fewest continuity issues.

23. TheCynicalReaper
    TheCynicalReaper
    April 28, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I love the Cell Saga so hard it’s almost criminal. That was the greatest climax since the Frieza Saga.

24. Leos
    Leos
    April 28, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I’m sure it will because Battle of Gods opened up the concept of multiple universes and 12 gods of destruction and Bills said that there were even strong beings in the other universes.

25. Leos
    Leos
    April 28, 2015 at 1:20 pm

If any of the movies I could consider canon, it would be Bojack.

26. The Deuce
    The Deuce
    April 28, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Yeah, it’s pretty annoying how the series insists on making every character that isn’t Goku (and sort of Vegeta) hopelessly useless and obsolete.

27. PmcC
    PmcC
    April 28, 2015 at 2:36 pm

It would be interesting story to explore that there are different worlds with much stronger fighters, we’ll just have to wait and see.

28. PmcC
    PmcC
    April 28, 2015 at 2:38 pm

It was and epic climax, I remember my whole school talking about it the next day.

29. Siveon
    Siveon
    April 28, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Hype! Hopefully the dub will come soon after.

30. Se'Quan Fenderson
    Se'Quan Fenderson
    April 28, 2015 at 4:42 pm

shouldnt take place after he rides the dragon and leaves saying he will see them again…they are back tracking if they go back to majin buu…what about when pilaf wished goku to be a kid again and uub comes back stronger and they fight baby and the other villans

31. Leos
    Leos
    April 28, 2015 at 4:54 pm

GT isn’t canon.

32. Leos
    Leos
    April 28, 2015 at 4:55 pm

A combination of comedy and action would be perfect. I just hope it has proper downtime between each battle because that was one of my main beefs with GT.

33. Leos
    Leos
    April 28, 2015 at 4:57 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if the final episode wasn’t canon anymore especially after the new power-ups Goku and Vegeta have received.

34. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    April 28, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Frankly, I much preferred the old DB to DBZ since it had a much better balance of comedy, adventuring and less crazy power levels, but I dont see dragonball getting away from 5 minutes till Namek explodes and SSJ10.

I would much rather this new season focused on slice of life situations, though. One of the funniest episodes I saw in both DB and DBZ was the time Goku went to get a driver’s license. Pretty damn funny, I’d like to see more of that. It’s certainly better than eternal fights with recycled animation.

35. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    April 28, 2015 at 7:32 pm

No more new super saiyan transformations, please!

36. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    April 28, 2015 at 7:38 pm

That episode was actually a filler Toriyama had no part in creating. It seems to be one of the very few episodes people recommended watching.

37. Jack Ripper
    Jack Ripper
    April 28, 2015 at 8:52 pm

At least we can all confirm that GT was the worst.

38. Fenrir007
    Fenrir007
    April 28, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Yes, I know its filler, but it was magnificent. I would love to see more of that. The daily lives of the Z warriors. Plus, we would get to see more of the characters that never get a chance to shine, and maybe Toriyama will finally remember Launch exists.