Freedom Wars Producer is Leaving the Project

freedom wars 03-31-15-1

The producer of Freedom Wars, Junichi Yoshizawa, is leaving the project.

The news comes from a Tumblr post (via Hachima Kikou) in which Yoshizawa hands the reins for the game off to the new producer, Tokuou Ohnuma:

I’ve decided to leave the Freedom Wars project.

My deepest gratitude to everyone who has supported my projects all the way until now, most especially Freedom Wars!

I worry that a lot of people might be concerned with the future of Freedom Wars after hearing this.

[Associate Producer Tokuou] Ohnuma is going to take over Freedom Wars.

From this point forward, please look out for announcements from Ohnuma.

It’s worth mentioning that since last November, Yoshizawa has been touring all of Japan’s 47 prefectures, in an effort to promote the game. This past Monday was his visit to Okinawa, and thus, his tour has ended.

Strangely, in a recent interview with Famitsu during his visit to Okinawa, Yoshizawa also told fans to speak up with their want for a sequel to the game. “The decision for a sequel to be made is not from my input alone,” said Yoshizawa. “In the end, it’s very crucial for the fans to speak up so that we can know if there is demand or not.”

We wish Yoshizawa the best with his future endeavors – and we’ll keep you guys posted regarding Freedom Wars.

, , ,

1. Nullid
    Nullid
    March 31, 2015 at 7:57 am

I’d prefer an expansion in the style of Soul Sacrifice Delta or Toukiden Kiwami rather than just a straight up sequel. As it stands, the gameplay after beating the main storyline is really quite barebones and feels incomplete. I do not wish to spoil anything, but the reward for working off your sentence is extremely underwhelming. Expanding on that aspect would make the game a much more solid experience.

I hope the new producer does not forget about the already existing game.

2. Gillman
    Gillman
    March 31, 2015 at 8:33 am

I really enjoyed that game, and even managed to drag one of my friends into the Monster Hunter-type genre with it. If there is no further anything for the game that… would just be awful.

3. OverlordZetta
    OverlordZetta
    March 31, 2015 at 9:21 am

“Barebones” is basically Freedom Wars in a nutshell in my opinion. Barebones cliche plot, barebones content, it’s just… barren, really. Character customization was nice and gameplay was okay, but in the end, it was all style and very little substance.

4. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    March 31, 2015 at 10:18 am

Picked up the game around the holidays and stop playing somewhere on the second chapter, I dunno the game still hasn’t left an impression on me like Gods Eater and Toukiden did. I think that a definitive port is what they should aim for.

5. Lester Paredes
    Lester Paredes
    March 31, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thanks for the game and all the hard work that went into it. While I hope for a much improved sequel over a 1.5 style release, I’ll gladly take more Freedom Wars.

6. Nytezero
    Nytezero
    March 31, 2015 at 11:25 am

Freedom Wars was SEVERELY lacking in content compared to other games in this genre. They really need to step it up. I do want more Freedom Wars of course.

March 31, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I think they are doing it to promote themselves more than anything else. They are trying to become and official link between developers and gamers.

I admit I don’t like Miller, mainly because he’s a San Fran SJW that threw gamers under the bus when siding with McIntosh and co.

8. Phelan
    Phelan
    March 31, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I don’t like him… nor IGN

And they might be doing it for themselves… but still they get way more spotlight than I ever did.

9. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    April 1, 2015 at 12:03 am

I got this game with my vita TV when it was on sale on amazon about a month ago. It was fun for a while but eventually the grind began and the sheer lack of variety kinda killed it for me.

I recently replayed Zone of the Enders, and while those games are worlds apart they both have that issue with variety. If I recall, outside of the bosses there’s literally only three enemy types in ZoE. However there it’s not as much of a game-ruining issue since those fights (and the game itself) are pretty short. That said the sequel (from what I’ve played anyway) has improved on this quite well. If Freedom Wars gets a sequel or expansion, increasing enemy variety should be priority number one in my opinion.