Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson is Coming West this Year

We’ve learned some wonderful news: Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson is coming West.

The 3DS follow up, which launched in Japan last year, will be arriving on Western shores some time in Q3 of this year. In Europe, Marvelous has targeted August as their month to ship on the Continent, but a specific date hasn’t been mentioned. In North America, the game will be getting both an eShop and a “Double D” retail release, complete with a two disc soundtrack, with Xseed Games targeting a Summer release for Deep Crimson.

senran kagura 2 deep crimson 03-10-15-29

Here’s the game’s press release, courtesy of Marvelous:

SENRAN KAGURA 2: Deep Crimson is the latest Nintendo 3DS title in the infamous SENRAN KAGURA franchise. For those who aren’t familiar, expect a fast-paced beat ‘em up game with insane combo chains, plenty of playable characters, hilarious cutscenes and an abundance of tantalising action!The game picks up directly where its Nintendo 3DS predecessor SENRAN KAGURA Burst left off, and follows the Hanzo & Hebijo Shinobi Academies as they battle for good and evil respectively. This time however there is a greater evil at work, as the tyrannous tycoon behind the Hebijo Academy is hell-bent on raining terror across all of Japan by utilising a destructive army of summoned demons! This great danger thrusts the girls together and forces them to unite and work as one in a way the series has never seen before.

Features

In addition to the epic narrative, Deep Crimson takes the SENRAN KAGURA Nintendo 3DS franchise to whole new levels in terms of gameplay and extra features. There are a plethora of upgrades, including:• Pair Battles – For the first time ever, two shinobi warriors from opposing academies must fight together, and the dual character combo system allows for spectacular and devastating joint attacks.

• Improved graphics and stellar audio – The graphical improvement from ‘Burst’ is dramatic, with full 3D environments, improved animations and a better framerate! This is combined with original Japanese voice-overs to create a gorgeous experience all-round.
  • Local & Nintendo WiFi Co-op mode – For the first time on Nintendo 3DS, two players will be able to join forces and play the story or special missions together via ad hoc multiplayer or online.
  • Improved Dressing Room – The dressing room is stocked with hundreds of items, and this time up to two shinobi can be present in the dressing room at once! Also, for the very first time in the series you can pose the girls in a variety of positions, and even pose them in real life environments using the Nintendo 3DS’ built-in camera!

senran kagura 2 deep crimson 03-10-15-2

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson is getting several different physical releases, including a very limited, discounted, early bird physical edition (only 50 copies), the regular physical edition, the Happy Boobs edition, the Shinobi Collector’s Edition, and finally the Ultimate Shinobi Collector’s Edition. To be clear – all of these physical editions are EU only:

Earlybird Physical Edition (£24.99) – Limited to 50 copies

• Senran Kagura 2 at a discounted price

Physical Edition (£32.99)

• The standard physical edition of Senran Kagura 2

Happy Boobs Edition (£49.99)

• A physical copy of Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
  • 2 Disk Official soundtrack featuring selected music from SENRAN KAGURA 2:Deep Crimson
  • Exclusive Hanzo & Hebijo symbol stickers
  • Exclusive fold out poster
  • ‘Happy Boobs’ Edition box

Shinobi Collector’s Edition (£74.99)

• All the extras in the ‘Happy Boobs’ edition
  • Exclusive oppai mouse mat (with 3D boobs)
  • Shinobi Certificate
  • Unique Shinobi Collector’s Edition box

Ultimate Shinobi Collector’s Edition (£74.99) – Limited to 50 copies

• Everything from the Shinobi Collector’s Edition
  • Shinobi Certificate signed by Senran Kagura series creator Kenichiro Takaki

You can view them all here on Marvelous Games’ website.

XSEED and Marvelous are looking to release three separate post launch bundles of downloadable content. The publishers tease: “If you’ve followed the Japanese version closely you’ll know they are something special.” We’ve also compiled the gameplay and opening sequence trailers, below:

Gameplay Trailer:

Opening Sequence:

1. Domhnall
    Domhnall
    March 10, 2015 at 9:34 am

Only Europe gets all the pre-order goody packages? The only version for US is the one with the soundtrack?

…well, all right. At least this time I can get a physical copy, anyway.

2. Ellen J Miller
    Ellen J Miller
    March 10, 2015 at 9:39 am

I jumped out of my seat when I saw the news. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

3. TWE
    TWE
    March 10, 2015 at 9:49 am

Gotta keep my finger on the trigger for this one. They seem adamant about keeping physical for sale exclusively on their web store (XseedShop/Marvelous EU shop).

4. Marathon
    Marathon
    March 10, 2015 at 9:52 am

Damn, murrica getting shafted again, I guess were at least getting a physical release for this one…

5. landlock
    landlock
    March 10, 2015 at 9:55 am

I take it back. Marvelous Europe is looking up with this announcement. I thought everything would be digital from now on.

6. Brandon Orselli
    March 10, 2015 at 10:11 am

Soooooooooooo excited for this!

7. Tromboner
    Tromboner
    March 10, 2015 at 10:14 am

I’m sad we Murricans don’t get more options, but I’ve got the JP special edition, so I can’t be too upset. I’m just so exited to play it.

8. tccboss
    tccboss
    March 10, 2015 at 10:20 am

Well looks like I’m buying this.

March 10, 2015 at 10:24 am

This gives me hope for a physical release of Estival Versus in Europe.

10. MusouTensei
    MusouTensei
    March 10, 2015 at 10:36 am

And hell yeah they use that picture as PAL cover, from the moment I saw that pic the 1st time I hoped they would use it, it fits so great with Burst’s PAL cover, i hope they don’t change it.
    Not sure yet which edition I will get, right now I have my eyes on the Happy Boobs Edition, the other 2 seem too expensive for what they offer imo, but we will see… well August is my b-day month so the (Ultimate) Shinobi Collector’s Edition would be a sweet b-day present to make myself.
    I don’t regret my JP Import though, it’s a nice collector’s item and was cheap.

11. Nin
    Nin
    March 10, 2015 at 11:00 am

Waiting warmly.

Since I lost my 3DS, I might as well buy the New 3DS for this.

12. Sylveria Shini
    Sylveria Shini
    March 10, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Did Asuka’s tits get bigger or is it just me?

13. Audie Bakerson
    Audie Bakerson
    March 10, 2015 at 12:31 pm

So glad there is a physical release. I couldn’t buy it from the eshop without updating my 3DS.

胸は命、尻は故郷

14. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 10, 2015 at 12:37 pm

All of the breast sizes were rebalanced for this sequel.

Certain DLC will come which lets you adjust all characters to be flat or Bakunyuu later on.

15. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 10, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Worst comes to worst, I’m 100% sure that they would give the PS4 a physical release of EV even if the audience is more portable centric.

March 10, 2015 at 12:43 pm

You make a good point. With PS4’s popularity it is more likely to get a physical release. It would be strange if there is one for PS4, but not for Vita.

17. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    March 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm

That sucks, hope you at least enjoy your New 3DS…get it get it, I’ll see myself out now!

18. Nonscpo
    Nonscpo
    March 10, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Decisions decisions, I gotta pre order this thing as soon as I get a chance.

19. ThePringus
    ThePringus
    March 10, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Hell tothamuthafuckin’ yessss

20. ThePringus
    ThePringus
    March 10, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I kinda wish we got the gessen girls again though

21. lpchaim
    lpchaim
    March 10, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Glad the NA version has got the better cover of the two, really. The other is a bit too much for my “shelf” AND looks better as well. Here’s hoping it doesn’t cost 10 bucks more than normal this time around, but then again, it probably will. I’ll get it anyway, in any case xP

22. Joel Leonheart
    Joel Leonheart
    March 10, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Hnmm..I have to check if I can afford that collectors edition if not oh well..

23. bf313
    bf313
    March 10, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Happy that this is getting a physical release in the U.S. but REALLY want that Europe special edition. Xseed is missing out on money by not doing an LE.

24. FalseTragedian
    FalseTragedian
    March 10, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Aww, we don’t get to watch Asuka strip the giant monster to its underwear?

25. Landale
    Landale
    March 10, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Kind of a shame really. I’d love a new mousepad, since after years of use my Vira-Lorr one from the first Agarest finally got a bit leaky.

26. DariusQ
    DariusQ
    March 10, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Man, CAN/US gets hosed again for the goodies. At least there’s a physical copy this time.

27. Fenrir7
    Fenrir7
    March 10, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Yessssssss!!

28. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 10, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Never understood the series popularity (besides breasts and accidental publicity from butthurt writers), but cool.

29. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    March 10, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Boobs are Life. Ass is Hometown! :D

I love you X-Seed!

30. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 10, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Assuming you find your New 3DS, this game actually supports some extra camera control with it. I finished the game and wouldn’t say it seems likely to help much or be need, but you will get something out of it at least.

Make sure to have a save of Burst ready as well, there is a bonus playable character unlocked through that. He isn’t especially fun, but the more content the better and you wouldn’t want to pay if you can avoid it.

31. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 10, 2015 at 6:23 pm

In short, the games have good combat and general design and fill a massive void for brawlers and action games for the 3DS and Vita while also having tons of costume options AND surprisingly fun characters with backstory for them.

As far as I know, the Vita games care a lot less about the story (even the action games) but they all keep a pretty decent standard. To date, 2011’s Senran Kagura would stomp most 3DS games I’ve played for combos, characters and action (ignoring sequels and Burst) even if the mission variety and polish isn’t as high as Devil May Cry, Dragon Ball Advance Adventure etc.

The first one for the 3DS in Japan had a lot of marketing (including many performances, crosspromo attempts and multiple manga even one running as a prequel) and hit when the 3DS was young with Burst following the year. With the first Vita game, there was a price drop for the Vita, the anime airing and such.

The last paragraph is more about the record for Japan but the west, but the audience were already building through second hand knowledge about it since 2011 when the 3DS had very little. The accidental publicity was an acknowledged part of the marketing with UK trailers for Burst, but it didn’t seem as extreme as Dragon’s Crown.

32. Shadepariah
    Shadepariah
    March 10, 2015 at 7:09 pm

They must be really worried about their pre-order numbers in Europe to be dispensing the “fetish objects” so hard over there.

March 10, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Very excited for this one, the pair battling really caught my eye.

34. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 10, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Fair enough. I haven’t really seen any other beat ’em up like game for either handhelds (lest we include Monster Hunter clones) so I guess it does have a bit of reason in it’s madness.

Still wouldn’t even think about buying it without a demo though, the inability to play outside/when family is over is a bit of a price if you ask me.

35. Sangaz
    Sangaz
    March 10, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I’ve played Shinovi Versus in the office in front of colleagues. There’s no fun in worrying over socially acceptable folk thinking you’re weird.

36. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 10, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I care more about the family part than the public part. I’ve already had one tragedy involving a certain browsing history, I don’t want it to get any worse now.

37. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 10, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Unfortunately, they haven’t released a demo for any of the Senran Kagura games in Japan to my knowledge (at least no 3DS ones). It doesn’t mean that they won’t make a demo build for Europe and/or America (this happened for Fire Emblem Awakening) but it is pretty unlikely.

You’ll just have to roll with playing it without caring for those around you, taking advantage of the smaller screen for portable games as well as headphones.

— A rant of sorts about other games below —

In Japan there is a wider span, but the vast majority short of cases like Kenka Bancho 6 (bought it – not played it actually) are far more shallow.

Other 3DS action games I’ll shout include E.X. Troopers (more shallow through melee combat, but best 3DS game I played for fast action all round), One Piece Unlimited World RED (beauty is skin deep, combat is pretty dull but it works sorta), Gundam the 3D Battle (a lot of options for customisation and movement, complexity lies there), Gaist Crusher God (not much combo complexity but it invites you to cancel and mix and match while fighting fun monsters), Shinobi Spirits (a 2D sidescroller which isn’t DB:AA good but remarkable in an anti-Senran Kagura sort of way – it has massive levels, interesting advanced skills and great leveling but seems a bit lacking).

My list ignore hunting games as they aim for a different flow. The point is that there are a lot of games which are decent, great and even outdo Senran Kagura as game experiences but none match the depth and costumes which put most AAA projects with DLC included to shame even they are no Platinum Games for depth or Namco for balance.

38. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 10, 2015 at 10:53 pm

As an owner of a 3DS XL, that whole small screen bit just ain’t gonna work. That, and, I wasn’t that interested in the game to begin with to try and ignore social stigmas. And waste cash on a whim.

I still haven’t really gotten the appeal so to speak, since I don’t primarily play on my 3DS (and I can’t/won’t import), but more power to you either way.

Really I was talking more in jest than anything else, didn’t expect someone to take me so seriously.

39. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 10, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Fair enough.

Just glad to let you know more about the series anyway, whenever you are more interested, the games will be even better… and test your resolve to avoid social stigmas even more.

So far all of the Senran Kagura games minus one not even released have been confirmed for localisation so importing shouldn’t be a thing.

40. ReaperX30
    ReaperX30
    March 11, 2015 at 3:58 am

This news and EO Untold 2 made my day. More Seran Kagura is always a good thing in my book. Day one for me.

41. Steven T.
    Steven T.
    March 11, 2015 at 7:23 am

And this will be joining my Yakuza 5 pre-order list. That makes only two for this year.

42. TsukuyomiMagi99
    TsukuyomiMagi99
    March 11, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I know this is off-topic, but speaking about brawlers have you played Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds? It has a very good combat system.

43. Siveon
    Siveon
    March 11, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Tried the demo on 360, for like, 10 minutes.

44. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    March 12, 2015 at 4:08 pm

The reverse is usually the case. You wouldn’t do extravagant limited editions in a region where demand is expected to be low.

This programme specifically being used to gauge preorder numbers for printing first and draw interest second? Yeah, I can buy that.

45. Wand
    Wand
    March 16, 2015 at 10:50 am

I’m sad for you americans who won’t be able to get the LE. Meanwhile I’m rushing to preorder