We’ve learned some wonderful news: Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson is coming West.
The 3DS follow up, which launched in Japan last year, will be arriving on Western shores some time in Q3 of this year. In Europe, Marvelous has targeted August as their month to ship on the Continent, but a specific date hasn’t been mentioned. In North America, the game will be getting both an eShop and a “Double D” retail release, complete with a two disc soundtrack, with Xseed Games targeting a Summer release for Deep Crimson.
Here’s the game’s press release, courtesy of Marvelous:
SENRAN KAGURA 2: Deep Crimson is the latest Nintendo 3DS title in the infamous SENRAN KAGURA franchise. For those who aren’t familiar, expect a fast-paced beat ‘em up game with insane combo chains, plenty of playable characters, hilarious cutscenes and an abundance of tantalising action!The game picks up directly where its Nintendo 3DS predecessor SENRAN KAGURA Burst left off, and follows the Hanzo & Hebijo Shinobi Academies as they battle for good and evil respectively. This time however there is a greater evil at work, as the tyrannous tycoon behind the Hebijo Academy is hell-bent on raining terror across all of Japan by utilising a destructive army of summoned demons! This great danger thrusts the girls together and forces them to unite and work as one in a way the series has never seen before.
In addition to the epic narrative, Deep Crimson takes the SENRAN KAGURA Nintendo 3DS franchise to whole new levels in terms of gameplay and extra features. There are a plethora of upgrades, including:• Pair Battles – For the first time ever, two shinobi warriors from opposing academies must fight together, and the dual character combo system allows for spectacular and devastating joint attacks.
- Improved graphics and stellar audio – The graphical improvement from ‘Burst’ is dramatic, with full 3D environments, improved animations and a better framerate! This is combined with original Japanese voice-overs to create a gorgeous experience all-round.
- Local & Nintendo WiFi Co-op mode – For the first time on Nintendo 3DS, two players will be able to join forces and play the story or special missions together via ad hoc multiplayer or online.
- Improved Dressing Room – The dressing room is stocked with hundreds of items, and this time up to two shinobi can be present in the dressing room at once! Also, for the very first time in the series you can pose the girls in a variety of positions, and even pose them in real life environments using the Nintendo 3DS’ built-in camera!
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson is getting several different physical releases, including a very limited, discounted, early bird physical edition (only 50 copies), the regular physical edition, the Happy Boobs edition, the Shinobi Collector’s Edition, and finally the Ultimate Shinobi Collector’s Edition. To be clear – all of these physical editions are EU only:
Earlybird Physical Edition (£24.99) – Limited to 50 copies
- Senran Kagura 2 at a discounted price
Physical Edition (£32.99)
- The standard physical edition of Senran Kagura 2
Happy Boobs Edition (£49.99)
- A physical copy of Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
- 2 Disk Official soundtrack featuring selected music from SENRAN KAGURA 2:Deep Crimson
- Exclusive Hanzo & Hebijo symbol stickers
- Exclusive fold out poster
- ‘Happy Boobs’ Edition box
Shinobi Collector’s Edition (£74.99)
- All the extras in the ‘Happy Boobs’ edition
- Exclusive oppai mouse mat (with 3D boobs)
- Shinobi Certificate
- Unique Shinobi Collector’s Edition box
Ultimate Shinobi Collector’s Edition (£74.99) – Limited to 50 copies
- Everything from the Shinobi Collector’s Edition
- Shinobi Certificate signed by Senran Kagura series creator Kenichiro Takaki
You can view them all here on Marvelous Games’ website.
XSEED and Marvelous are looking to release three separate post launch bundles of downloadable content. The publishers tease: “If you’ve followed the Japanese version closely you’ll know they are something special.” We’ve also compiled the gameplay and opening sequence trailers, below: