See How Much Criminal Girls: Invite Only is Censored

criminal girls invite only 01-17-15-9

NIS America has published a new set of screenshots for Criminal Girls: Invite Only on PS Vita.

While the screenshots depict a variety of the game’s core mechanics, the most interesting of them all show off the game’s “training” mechanic:

criminal girls invite only 01-17-15-10

We’ve known that Criminal Girls: Invite Only was too risque for western rating boards in its original form and some hilariously regressive moderators at NeoGAF, but this is the first time we’re seeing the visual censorship.

The “training” mechanic sees the player taking the delinquent girl and punishing her, to atone for her sins made in her past life (each girl is guilty of one of the seven deadly sins). It’s worth noting that all of the girls’ voices are removed from these scenes, as well.

criminal girls invite only 01-17-15-8

Also revealed are the screenshots featuring the girls as they fight monsters, and explore the very depths of hell itself:

So what do you guys think? Is this too much? Is the ESRB backwards in their allowance of hyper-violence, but ridiculous in their unwillingness to give sexual games a proper look?

Criminal Girls: Invite Only is coming both physically and digitally on February 3rd in North America and February 6th in Europe.

1. Sergio Nacher Fernu00e1ndez
    Sergio Nacher Fernu00e1ndez
    January 17, 2015 at 7:42 am

“Is the ESRB backwards in their allowance nof hyper-violence, but ridiculous in their unwillingness to give sexual ngames a proper look?”nnOf course it is! It’s a double standard, and any kind of double standard is bad for a society.

2. Barret Somerville
    Barret Somerville
    January 17, 2015 at 7:53 am

I’d need to see some of the uncensored images first, just to see how far they plan to go in terms of censoring the game for the western release.

3. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 17, 2015 at 7:58 am

This is, frankly, disgusting. NISA is part of a very, very small list of localizers/publishers/etc. that I outright want to leave this industry because all they do is ruin the games they bring over. I’m just glad I have zero interest in 99% of the titles they bring over so at least I’m not personally getting screwed over by these kinds of localizations.

4. Raiiban
    Raiiban
    January 17, 2015 at 8:11 am

From what I’ve heard NISA didn’t even run anything past the ESRB before they decided to censor it. They voluntarily did this without even trying to preserve the original integrity of the game.nnWhy even bother bringing it over in the first place if you’re going to butcher it? I bought a LOT a NISA published games in the PS2 era but I’ve outright refused to buy any of them in recent years over things like this and their tendency to introduce game breaking bugs that weren’t in the original.nnIt’ll be a good day when NISA goes under. I’d rather see these games go to other publishers who give a damn or not be published in english at all then hacks like these getting their mitts on them and butchering everything.

5. Crunch Buttsteak
    Crunch Buttsteak
    January 17, 2015 at 8:32 am

This is silly. There’s no point in bringing over a game like this censored. It’s all about the fanservice and they don’t even keep the fanservice intact. NISA is off their rockers.nnnBy the way, stop spreading that obvious lie about “ESRB ratings concerns;” that was all but proven false multiple times and it’s clear at this point that NISA did it solely to avoid backlash. People have contacted the ESRB and confirmed that there was no chance of the game getting an AO rating. It’s also worth pointing out that if the ESRB really did say they would give it an AO rating, then there would be no reason to change the “punishment time” to “motviational time” – editing the graphics and sounds would be more than enough. NISA did this because they were unconfortable with the content and instead of refraining from localizing the game because of that, they chose to not only censor it but LIE to their consumers about it.nnnIt’s despicable and I hope NISA goes out of business soon so they can stop ruining games.

6. JackDandy
    JackDandy
    January 17, 2015 at 9:10 am

Man, what’s the point of bringing that kind of game over if you censor it so much?

7. 33
    January 17, 2015 at 9:31 am

Am I supposed to find fog interesting? Why don’t you just cut it out like you always do, NISA? It should also be noted that they’ve said they’re changing some dialogue as well (see picture attached).nnI know so many Europeans who imported the American version of Akiba’s Trip to avoid giving NISA money, since XSEED doesn’t publish in Europe.nnnnNISA is a pathetic localisation company who see fit to change a main character’s name so it’s an unnecessary awful sex joke, multiple games being completely broken and having crash bugs, cutting content (including entire mini-games and non-nude 150 CGs) and generally have bad, uncompleted translations.nnnThey are of sub-par quality and people should stop buying from them. If people really want to play the games they localise: import it. It’ll have less bugs and more content.

8. Blue Tentacle
    Blue Tentacle
    January 17, 2015 at 9:56 am

I import all my game now to avoid giving money to NIS !

9. Gillman
    Gillman
    January 17, 2015 at 9:57 am

You aren’t the first person that I heard say that. Worse is that I don’t think that they even run it by ANY rating board, they just have “fears” of being rejected.nnI heard the spin explained that they make the games so they will get rated in EU and other territories first, so what the large chunk of everyone ends up with is the lowest common denominator of what they THINK will go through. nnThis also isn’t even talking about the localization problems that they introduce. The first Mugen souls became unplayable after awhile because one of the mini games was just completely taken out, and what was left didn’t even resemble the power to give you stat boosts that you required for later game stuff. Then you have lines that you 100% not in the original, like Danganronpa where they had a crazy Eddy joke in there. Most people playing the game aren’t even old enough to get that reference.

10. Snarf
    Snarf
    January 17, 2015 at 10:04 am

The ESRB is just the Comics Code Authority all over again. If you don’t get the ESRB’s seal of approval, you’re game doesn’t make it to stores, online or offline. Just like the CCA. It took 60 years before comic companies stopped bowing to the CCA, I guess we’ll have to wait just as long for US games to do the same.

11. Michael Richardson
    Michael Richardson
    January 17, 2015 at 10:20 am

Considering NISA’s reputation, I was expecting worse censorship than this. Still, what with XSeed bringing risque games over basically untouched, I can’t support this.nnnStill not as bad as the censorship in Monster Monpiece, though.

January 17, 2015 at 10:44 am

Why did NISA have to get they’re mitts on this? It’s like handing edward scissorhands a damn baby.

13. Jim
    Jim
    January 17, 2015 at 11:04 am

They have done this to other games they have localized? This was the first time I had heard of NISA making such changes.

14. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    January 17, 2015 at 11:11 am

They also censored Mugen Souls and Mugen Souls Z, but I believe he’s refering the fact the games they localize come out bugged out and in poor quality. Ar Tonelico 2 has a boss with an attack that crashes the game, Witch and the Hundred Knights can kick you out to the XMB for no reason, among many other severe, game destroying glitches.nnAlso they changed the name of a character in the Atelier series for no reason other than to make an STD joke. They had no profissionalism and standards from day one, most people just tolerate them because they localize niche games no one else will.

15. Game Guy
    Game Guy
    January 17, 2015 at 11:23 am

Senran Kagura is allowed through esrb with minimal censorship. Dead or Alive is allowed with minimal censorship. You think your the first people to publish pervy games NISA? Go fuck yourself, we’ve been to this rodeo before and we know you didn’t even get to the parking lot. Telling us you censored it because ESRB didnt like it is a load of bull. God I hope Idea Factory buys out Nippon Ichi so their games can be released PROPERLY

16. landlock
    landlock
    January 17, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Maybe because it’s a Nippon Ichi Japan published game.

17. landlock
    landlock
    January 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm

This is a lot worse then anything in Dead Or Alive by far. Haven’t played Senran Kagura but there is only one loli I believe. The things above you post were never going to make it.

18. landlock
    landlock
    January 17, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Funny how Xseed said they wouldn’t have censored Monster Monpiece if they had brought over at the same time turning down a chance to publish the game. That always made me laugh. nnTalk is cheap.

19. NicheGamer
    NicheGamer
    January 17, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I’ve never heard that removing the minigame actually affected the stat boosts you get. I definitely remember getting the stat boosts with soap when I was playing as well.

20. Narmy
    Narmy
    January 17, 2015 at 12:53 pm

The thing is, the ESRB didn’t even give it a proper look. NISA censored it before even submitting it to the ESRB.nnIf they had shown the uncensored game to the ESRB and had received an AO rating, at least then we could have trusted them that the censorship was required. But since they didn’t, we have no proof that they aren’t lying about that.

21. Narmy
    Narmy
    January 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Didn’t you hear about what IFI did to Monster Monpiece? They’re as censor-happy as NISA.

22. jinter
    jinter
    January 17, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Senran Kagura isn’t censored at all

23. jinter
    jinter
    January 17, 2015 at 1:12 pm

believe me when I tell you that the content of senran kagura goes at par with Criminal girls

24. PenguinPlayer
    PenguinPlayer
    January 17, 2015 at 1:22 pm

They removed the character’s ages from their profiles. Some people might consider that censoring, I can’t fault them.

25. Viredae
    Viredae
    January 17, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Who have you heard this from, and are they a reliable source?

26. Zangetsu Shin
    Zangetsu Shin
    January 17, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I’ve always been disappointed in NIS America for the past couple years because of their censorship or removal of fanservice. Whatever, I’m going to pass on most of their titles in the future as I know they butcher the script or the dialogue in games like adding memes and doing unnecessary names changes.

27. British_Otaku
    British_Otaku
    January 17, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Shouldn’t content be judged by “what happens” to the loli instead of how many the game has? Senran Kagura is no slouch even if none of the localised games have more than one loli.

28. Domhnall
    Domhnall
    January 17, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Even worse than their censorship (and that’s hard for me to say, since I despise censorship utterly) is the way that they seem to be entirely unable to localize a game without introducing often gamebreaking bugs. For a very recent example, when NISA localized The Witch and the Hundred Knight for the PS3, which I bought against my better judgement, they SOMEHOW did something to the game that causes it to overheat and crash the PS3 (for other testimonials, look here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/644717-the-witch-and-the-hundred-knight/68954104). They introduce similar bugs into MANY games they handle, sometimes less serious (for instance, in Disgaea 2 they made it impossible to fill out an in-game informational collection book).nnThis isn’t even considering the fact that they’re mediocre (at best) translators, adding in nonsensical or even outright contradictory lines to dialogue which sometimes change the tone.nnFor a semi-complete list of NISA ineptitude, look here: http://pastebin.com/9ZTAZvqA

29. Stando
    Stando
    January 17, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Ever since Rhapsody DS, I refused to buy anything from NISA. It’s terrible to see them continue to butcher games over the years.

30. Thanatos2k
    Thanatos2k
    January 17, 2015 at 3:08 pm

The decline of physical retailers being the primary method of selling games should have been the death of the “AO means automatic failure” concept, but it still lives on.nnnWe the platform holders to give up their pathetic restrictions of refusing the sell AO games digitally.

31. Tromboner
    Tromboner
    January 17, 2015 at 3:15 pm

What did they do to Rhapsody DS? I have that game on PS1, and despite its simplicity, like its charm. I would have considered grabbing the DS one if I ever saw it.

32. Stando
    Stando
    January 17, 2015 at 4:36 pm

First of all the biggest problem was that they didn’t localize the all the new content that made the remake worthwhile and didn’t tell anyone until after the game released. nnnnThen the rest of the game was sprinkled with game breaking bugs that weren’t present in the japanese version, missing texts and various smaller glitches. nnnStick with the PS1 version and just pretend the DS version exists unless you want to import the japanese release.

33. Fenrir7
    Fenrir7
    January 17, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Even though I have no interest in this game, I can’t stand this type of censorship.

34. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 17, 2015 at 4:46 pm

This. Guys if you’re gonna go full-out “this company should stop existing” at least back up your claims.

35. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 17, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Not true. Monster Monpiece was an extreme case for IFI, and unfortunately being the first game they brought over, IFI will always be seen as another “censor-happy” company.nnWhen NISA localized Neptunia Mk2, they actually censored Compa’s victory pose after she wins a battle, in Re;Birth1 it’s not censored. So no, IFI is not as bad as NISA.

36. Michael Richardson
    Michael Richardson
    January 17, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Mildest form of censorship I can think of.

37. RinSatori
    RinSatori
    January 17, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Im going to buy this and enjoy it. Fanservice does not make or break a game. If i wanted to play a hentai game i would fucking play a hentai game.. jesus some of you are a bunch of fucking morons. excuse the language.

38. Ralopoz
    Ralopoz
    January 17, 2015 at 5:12 pm

It’s not about the fact that people want fanservice. It’s the fact that the game got censored even though it probably would have passed ESRB uncensored and not only did NISA needlessly censor the game but they also lied to the consumers about said censorship

39. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 17, 2015 at 5:12 pm

They probably just didn’t think the game was good enough to pour time into. While talk is cheap, actions aren’t. They didn’t handle Monster Monpiece sure, but they have done games with some pretty comparable content to Criminal Girls/Monster Monpiece and they came over unscathed. I’m willing to believe them regarding that game.

40. Ralopoz
    Ralopoz
    January 17, 2015 at 5:13 pm

And just so you know, I have zero interest in this game but I’m pissed off at how bullshit and incompetent NISA is

41. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 17, 2015 at 5:16 pm

“Not as bad as NISA” is probably the most damningly faint praise I’ve ever heard. I’m willing to give IFI a chance (though I won’t be buying any games they’ve got simply because none interest me, I don’t think they’re a blight on the industry) but first impressions leave a strong mark. I don’t blame people for having little faith in them.

42. Cerzel
    Cerzel
    January 17, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Tom confirmed that the age removal had no impact on the game’s rating, though.

43. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 17, 2015 at 5:21 pm

“Fanservice does not make or break a game.”nnNormally I’d agree, but in a game like Senran Kagura or this, fanservice is like, 95% of the reason the game exists. So yeah it kinda does make or break the game.nnThis game was ever only going to have one notably large fanbase, people looking for that fanservice. When you butcher it like this you’re removing your main audience. While I’m against this decision to chop the game up so badly with the knife of censorship from a moral standpoint I’m mostly outraged honestly just from looking at it from a business standpoint. The frankly small number of people buying it for the gameplay with no interest in the fanservice and the people buying it out of spite for those complaining simply will not equal, nevermind surpass, the people that would have bought it if they had left it the way it was originally.

44. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 17, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Nah, I think people having little faith in IFI is a bit extreme. The huge outcry that followed MonMon being censored was blown out of proportion, too.

45. Narmy
    Narmy
    January 17, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Yup, it was the company’s decision to change/remove the ages, rather than anything to do with ratings. I suspect that’s the case with most of these censored games, which begs the question: if these kinds of games make you uncomfortable, then why take a job where you localize them? I really wish these moralfags would work on games that aren’t offensive to them, rather than ruin things for everyone else.

46. Narmy
    Narmy
    January 17, 2015 at 5:28 pm

It was absolutely not blown out of proportion, considering that the game never needed to be censored in the first place.

47. Nin
    Nin
    January 17, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Actually, while I’ve heard cases of the ESRB using AO for hyperviolence, I’ve never heard of them using AO for anything less than an outright sex scene.

48. Nin
    Nin
    January 17, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Same here. It’s to the point that I can’t bring myself to buy any of their games anymore. Hopefully, enough people don’t buy that localizers eventually learn that censorship equals less sales.

49. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 17, 2015 at 5:48 pm

>”considering that the game never needed to be censored in the first place.”nnnnYou know something? Monster Monpiece was not released in Australia. What a lot of people don’t consider when games like these get censored is that said game isn’t only releasing in the US or a couple countries in Europe. But these games have to reach markets where fans exist. It’s unfortunate and I hate looking like an apologist every time I defend these companies, but certain things must be understood. When all of us out here complain about how X company screwed up again, no one knows what actually goes on within the companies themselves. That’s why I feel it’s so unfair to just write them off.

50. Game Guy
    Game Guy
    January 17, 2015 at 6:02 pm

There arent lolis in Criminal Girls.

51. Game Guy
    Game Guy
    January 17, 2015 at 6:02 pm

In the japanese version there’s full nudity.

52. Alistair
    Alistair
    January 17, 2015 at 6:16 pm

There’s now way in hell it’s a HENTAI game. nnPlease look up the word ecchi. & monmon had terrible censorship the self-censored kind. nnNot a single card had full nudity apart from one that flower-gal but even then it not fully expose of her breasts. nnLots of cards was censored. & PEGI did wrote to me saying those cards would have passed uncensored, but what rating it would get depands on other factors. nnI’m no way buying a half asre self censored game, if I do it be under protest by under cost NISA by getting it 2nd hand my money goes to GAME not NISA.nnNO my advice is get Moero chronicics next month a Asia english version because I am & I think pepole saying its uncensored.

53. Sentsuizan_93
    Sentsuizan_93
    January 17, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Meanwhile in EU, this is getting a PEGI 18 rating. If this is the final product to expect, I’d be confused as hell as to why:n1. NIS decided to do the edits as they have and n2. Why this got the highest PEGI rating despite the editsnI’ve no plans to get on this at full price if I’m being honest, hell this will probably be earned at a price drop. A very generous price drop. Like Natural Doctrine. But no matter how you look at it, this move bloody confuses me…nAnd I’m not joking about the PEGI rating. Look at this:nhttp://www.shopto.net/video-games/psvita/PSPVCR01-criminal-girls-invite-onlynnnGiven that, and assuming the EU version gets the same treatment, if NIS at least release the voice pack from that minigame as DLC, then MAYBE, this wont be too bad, but the way this localization was handled in terms of editing and keeping to the original seems backwards…

54. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 17, 2015 at 7:04 pm

To the best of my knowledge AO is generally reserved for games with explicit sexual content in them or something minors simply aren’t legally allowed to do like real-life gambling. Cases like Manhunt/Hatred or (if you choose to believe NISA, while I have no proof I choose to think they’re lying as many have said elsewhere since it just seems like the kind of thing they’d do) Criminal Girls are the exceptions to the rule.

55. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 17, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Releasing the voices they cut as DLC would honestly be even more insulting to the consumer than simply cutting the content. While I’ll never defend self-censorship, if NISA wants to anger their fanbase that’s one thing. To remove content that’s in the base game in an attempt to play moral guardians, and then sell it back would have no defense and if it didn’t end up blowing up in their face from both a PR and financial standpoint I’d officially lose all faith in the consumers that buy these kinds of games not just being idiots.

56. amc99
    amc99
    January 17, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Go to Hyperdevotion Noire english website, and look at Noire’s picture and compare her picture with the same picture on another source. They censor her breast. I just hope IFI DO NOT CENSOR anything in the real game.nnOriginal:nhttp://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140526070034/hyperdimensionneptunia/images/5/5e/Noire_Jap_Box_Cover.jpgnnCensored:nnhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6ytz_5CYAANIOi.png:large

57. Domhnall
    Domhnall
    January 17, 2015 at 8:50 pm

They didn’t submit the game for review, as you can’t really do that before you’re finished with it.nnhttp://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=2005&start=1860#p793254nnhttps://i.imgur.com/pyMgvHm.pngnnAs such, the only reasonable conclusion is that when told the game MIGHT get a rating MAYBE, in an unofficial capacity, they decided the best thing to do was censor the game. It didn’t go through the official review process of having 3 (or more) separate review staff go over the game, NISA simply apparently got one person from the ESRB’s opinion that the game might get an AO rating and then, without actually getting an official review, decided to censor.nnBased on information from the ESRB, the cost to submit a game for review (if the game’s cost is under $250k) is $800. Since NISA is merely localizing the game and not actually developing it, my guess is that this is what they would be paying, which is pretty much a pittance for such a big company.

58. Eshu_Eleggua
    Eshu_Eleggua
    January 17, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Man, that sucks. My wife and I have been looking forward to this game for awhile, but I guess I won’t waste my time since they are going to censor it anyways.

59. Elvick
    Elvick
    January 17, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Many companies know what the ESRB standards are already… developers limit their creativity based on what they know the ESRB will and won’t allow, or at least how the ESRB will rate a game with those things in them.nnThis is not uncommon at all. It’s by proxy censorship. nnBlame the ratings systems. BTW, it also costs money to submit your games to the ESRB multiple times. So you can’t just make slight tweaks, submit, wait, then go back and forth until you finally find something to lower the rating just enough.nnSo companies go with what they know the ESRB will accept. nn”or not be published in english at all then hacks like these getting their mitts on them and butchering everything.”nnThis is the most illogical thing ever. You are an imbecile. Import the game. Tada. How would the game not being published at all be better? You could still import either way.

60. Elvick
    Elvick
    January 17, 2015 at 10:37 pm

That would cost money. So if you’re offering to pay for the resubmission to the ESRB, then I’m sure they will gladly take it. nnOtherwise, it’s business and the ESRB is at fault. Not NISA. They can’t keep resubmitting the game making minor changes until they get it right, because not only would that cost money every time to get it rated, but it would cost development time, delay the release, and increase the cost.nnIt’s the ESRB to blame.

61. Elvick
    Elvick
    January 17, 2015 at 10:43 pm

In GoW extras they talk about how they had to remove the penis from the Cyclops to get the M rating.

62. Viredae
    Viredae
    January 17, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Note that that e-mail does not say that NISA has not submitted their game, it simply says that the ESRB has not released or assigned their ratings yet.nnnIt is completely plausible that NISA is simply in talks with the ESRB, and therefor were informed that in its current form, the ESRB will issue an AO rating for the game.

63. Domhnall
    Domhnall
    January 17, 2015 at 11:06 pm

The e-mail indeed doesn’t saying anything about NISA submitting the game for review. Which is why I also linked that post by Houk from NISA (http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=2005&start=1860#p793254) where he explicitly said that NISA never submitted the game to the ESRB.nnnThat’s my entire point. They never submitted it for a rating before deciding to censor it.

64. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    January 17, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Once a game gets localized in English, that’s the only English version we’re ever going to see. Companies that don’t censor like XSeed MIGHT have localized this sometime in the future maybe, but if a company like NISA localizes it then that closes all other possibilities.nnnSeeing something you were looking forward to getting censored is a terrible feeling. So much to the point that you would rather have not seen it tarnished in all your life even if it means not getting to see it translated at all.nnnConsumers care very little about things like costs either and rightfully so. It’s the company’s job to give their customers a product in a fashion they would be willing to spend money on rather than it being the customer’s job to understand the company’s position. Otherwise that means that the customer is willing to give their hard earned money for a sub par product.

65. Narmy
    Narmy
    January 17, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Why do you think we’re even having this debate? If NISA had submitted their game before censoring it, then we would know for sure whether or not it would have gotten an AO rating. The ESRB keeps a record of all the games they’ve rated on their website, even the ones that have been re-submitted like Manhunt 2 and San Andreas.

66. Domhnall
    Domhnall
    January 17, 2015 at 11:12 pm

If the game wasn’t released in Australia then it seems rather silly to defend the decision to censor the game, seeing as how it would have made the censorship pointless if the goal was to sell the game in Australia.

67. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 17, 2015 at 11:16 pm

They don’t have to resubmit for minor changes, they can do their first submission, get feedback, and do a second one with all necessary (at least, in their/the ESRB’s eyes) modifications. While it does cost money to submit a game to the ESRB, it’s very little considering the overall price of a localization (nevermind a full game’s development) so having to do it three or four times is a real non-issue for somebody on par with the size of NISA I’d imagine.nnnIt’s easy to blame the ratings board for situations like this but considering NISA’s track record (one other localizers really don’t have) for censorship issues I personally believe the people making the edits are at fault rather than the people that need to rate the content that gets edited.

68. ReaperX30
    ReaperX30
    January 17, 2015 at 11:26 pm

I was interested in this game when they first showed it but after seeing this I think I’ll keep my money. I don’t get when they take something that’s the appeal of the game and change it when they localize the game thus loosing what the game was about in the first place. What a waste of time and money this is ending up to be.

69. Elvick
    Elvick
    January 17, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Tell that to Muramasa Rebirth. Aksys did a completely new translation. While Ignition was the one who translated the original game on Wii. nnPorts are common these days. nn”Seeing something you were looking forward to getting censored is a nterrible feeling. So much to the point that you would rather have not nseen it tarnished in all your life even if it means not getting to see nit translated at all.” nnThat’s emotional and illogical. If you want to focus on your feels, then by all means, but they hold zero value. nn”Consumers care very little about things like costs either and rightfully so. It’s the company’s job to give their customers a product in a fashion they would be willing to spend money on rather than it being the customer’s job to understand the company’s position. Otherwise that means that the customer is willing to give their hard earned money for a sub par product”nnEmotional. You can understand the business decision and still do what you want as a consumer. I don’t personally give a shit about the censorship, because I knew it would never come over without it. So I’ll buy the game. I understand the business decision that went into the decision. nnIf I happened to not like it, I would still understand them and blame the ESRB instead. I just wouldn’t buy the game. You people are ruled by your feels. Which holds not value to discussion. nnI could cry about how the game’s art offends my cancer ridden grandmother and the game’s existence is an affront to god. But it would hold zero value to anyone, just as your nonsense does to anyone who can actually think logically. nnDon’t buy it, but don’t bitch illogically to justify not wanting to buy a censored product. And demonizing NISA instead of the ESRB is a hilarious waste of effort.

70. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 17, 2015 at 11:43 pm

“Tell that to Muramasa Rebirth. Aksys did a completely new translation. nWhile Ignition was the one who translated the original game on Wii.”nnWhile that is certainly an example, and there are probably a few others (none come to mind admittedly) you understand this is by and far an exception and not the rule, right?nnWhat are the odds that Criminal Girls is going to get an update or a port in the near future? For that matter, who’s to say it’ll get a localization by anybody but NISA again? After all, it’s a NIS game. nn”That’s emotional and illogical. If you want to focus on your feels, then by all means, but they hold zero value.”nnnIf you want to go off logic, I’ll post something I’ve probably already said a few times. This is a game that sells itself (at least, in the original Japanese market) primarily on fanservice. For something as niche as this, that fanservice is the main selling point here in the states (and elsewhere) as well. However, they’re actively cutting it out as hard as they can. Because of this, it’s almost guaranteed to sell less since many people interested in it for those reasons will be keeping up with it and thus learn that they aren’t getting what they’re paying for. nnnI’m offended on a moral standpoint about the whole censorship issue but from a financial standpoint I just can not imagine this whole thing will have been worth the effort for NISA.nnnnBesides, this is ignoring the main problem with such a statement. We don’t live in a world where logic is more important than emotion, at best they’re 50/50. Emotion breeds art, and emotion censors art as well. It makes people interested in a game, and it makes them lose that interest. Emotion is what gets people to support a company they agree with or boycott one they disagree with. To say emotions hold zero value is just wrong.

71. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    January 17, 2015 at 11:54 pm

I’ve been really looking forward to moero, been waiting for a pre order to go up somewhere or any news on it forever.

72. Firion Hope
    Firion Hope
    January 18, 2015 at 12:03 am

Did you see the other comment?nn”Based on information from the ESRB, the cost to submit a game for review (if the game’s cost is under $250k) is $800″ Pegi seems to have a similar system and cost if they were the ones giving troublennnnTheres no way the translation cost is more than 250k for such a niche game. And the damage to their reputation and lost sales will certainly far surpass $800 regardless of how much you want to believe it’s a small minority of people. And they wouldn’t have to resubmit multiple times, once to check if they’d accept it and after that they’d have solid proof and could get away with censoring as much as needed.

73. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    January 18, 2015 at 1:00 am

As someone once called a beep-bop logic bot and who responded to that by saying emotions are stupid for major decision making, I do not appreciate being lumped in with people who are ruled by their emotions. Especially not when I’m simply stating the reasoning behind people’s mindsets, the very people who this game was aimed for. The core audience. The people who would have payed for it. Not some audience NISA was trying to cater to that doesn’t exist.nnThat being said, my third paragraph is ENTIRELY ruled by logic. Companies are built to make money and compete with other companies. The consumers are their battleground. But when the consumers provide leeway for the businesses to provide subpar products in place of quality products, the overall market is what suffers. Businesses provide low quality products. Consumers are left with little other choices but those products. Companies don’t try competing with newer or riskier products either. The industry stagnates and it’s all your fault as a consumer.nnDon’t forget that the consumers are just as much working to earn their keep and the money they make is limited after paying for the more essential things like food and utilities and luxuries are harder to spend for. It’s hardly anything to ask for companies to do the same and provide a product or service that justifies purchase. Complaining when the product or service fails to live up to it is how to voice exactly why your product wasn’t purchased. In this case, if people didn’t complain that the consorship was the problem, NIS would think that people simply weren’t interested in this type of game.nnI can understand what happened to Assassin’s Creed Unity. Because I understand that the decision making suits would have pushed for its release while the devs and testers, had they any self respect, would have been against it but were powerless to do so. I cannot accept this because NISA did not even attempt to see what the ESRB would accept before deciding to censor it, moreso when they lied to their customers of the fact.

74. DynastyStar
    DynastyStar
    January 18, 2015 at 1:37 am

yeah, its somewhat pointless if it gets neutered like that.

75. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 18, 2015 at 1:58 am

Why is it implied that the only rating board they submitted to was ESRB? NISA is a world wide publisher, they could have also contacted Australia rating boards or any other country. ESRB is NA only, but NISA doesn’t only release in NA. *This* is the huge picture people are missing.

76. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 18, 2015 at 2:00 am

There are other countries where the game was also released. Not just the US, not just Australia, but dozens of countries in the world, and those countries may be even less lenient than America in regards to games of this sort.

77. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 18, 2015 at 2:17 am

This is the current one on Amazon for the English version of the game, not censored. If it’s just not updated, we’ll see, but it has the English title.

78. landlock
    landlock
    January 18, 2015 at 2:39 am

Sure whatever you say there are videos posted in this thread that clearly show lolis. nnhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQo3j8FGCM

79. landlock
    landlock
    January 18, 2015 at 2:43 am

Haven’t played SK so I can’t really comment on the content but it’s pretty bad in Criminal Girls that I can say. I wasn’t surprised at all when they announced it would be slightly censored.

80. ZaLalopox
    ZaLalopox
    January 18, 2015 at 3:25 am

I would be amazed if any company cared about Australia at all, they get even more shit than EuropennnBut hypothetically *if* Australia was the reason this game got censored world wide then that would be just stupid. Especially since Australia is a much smaller market than North America or EuropennnHowever it is true that this game could never get released in Australia uncensored

81. landlock
    landlock
    January 18, 2015 at 6:23 am

Nippon Ichi Japan are more likely to go under before NISA ever does.

82. landlock
    landlock
    January 18, 2015 at 6:29 am

If NISA were worried about the sales they wouldn’t have brought this game over at all. They brought over Mugen Souls and censored it a little bit. Apparently there was a huge backlash and boycott. Yet they still brought over Mugen Souls Z and censored it again. That’s proof if anything that any lost sales don’t make much of a impact. nnnnIn fact again if it had made a impact on Mugen Souls they wouldn’t have bothered with Criminal Girls.

83. Kraken
    Kraken
    January 18, 2015 at 6:53 am

i dont know why this think anyone would pay money to look at a wall of pink fog. i sure wont

84. jinter
    jinter
    January 18, 2015 at 8:14 am

nope, its the same thingnnhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCdZt-BpY4

85. Game Guy
    Game Guy
    January 18, 2015 at 10:07 am

Then NISA has even less of an excuse

86. Game Guy
    Game Guy
    January 18, 2015 at 10:08 am

Clearly not a loli dude, at the very least she’s 16

87. landlock
    landlock
    January 18, 2015 at 10:19 am

Girls must grow up small where you come from because she looks about 12 to me at the very most. Sorry she’s classed as a loli

88. landlock
    landlock
    January 18, 2015 at 10:22 am

Proof that PEGI contacted you please that sounds somewhat dodgy. This is the internet after all.

89. landlock
    landlock
    January 18, 2015 at 10:25 am

I would more likely to believe NISA though then some random people on the internet.

90. Dewey Defeats Truman
    Dewey Defeats Truman
    January 18, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Trust is something that I don’t just inherently give a company or a person or what-have-you. You have to earn it, and considering how NISA has handled a lot of localizations lately (I’m not even talking about just censorship, look at all the horrific bugs they’ve inserted into their localizations that weren’t in the originals for example as well as pathetically stupid jokes that weren’t in the original text like Esty Dee) and I simply do not trust the company these days. When I say I believe the guys saying NISA is lying, what I really mean is I don’t believe NISA when they say they’re telling the truth.

91. Sylveria Shini
    Sylveria Shini
    January 18, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I’m in the camp of “Id rather play it censored than not play it at all.” But, that being said, the stuff they’re doing and the shortcuts they’re taking are getting rather absurd.

92. Darkside_Hero
    Darkside_Hero
    January 18, 2015 at 4:34 pm

So the ESRB has become the MPAA, where the threat of an AO(NC-17) rating is enough for self-censorship. Why even bring the game over NISA?

93. Darkside_Hero
    Darkside_Hero
    January 18, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Unfortunately the ESRB is more like the MPAA, so they aren’t going away anytime soon. We need better channels of distribution for Adult indie/niche titles.

94. Darkside_Hero
    Darkside_Hero
    January 18, 2015 at 5:02 pm

It also says Rating Pending.

95. Alistair
    Alistair
    January 18, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Here the email from PEGI I got a few of them but this one regarding mon-mon the images they spoke of is the uncensored cards that got shown on the Internet. nnHere the email: ud83dude0a

96. Game Guy
    Game Guy
    January 18, 2015 at 7:44 pm

You must live in a land of giants then. A 12- looking character would have much smaller proportions

97. dsadsada
    dsadsada
    January 18, 2015 at 8:31 pm

They do for me. My 24+ year old officemates look around 16ish to me, especially the girls. I’ve once had a classmate in college who I mistook for a 12 year old too until she started talking to me about advanced calculus in this adorably soft voice.

98. landlock
    landlock
    January 19, 2015 at 2:29 am

Will have to disagree on that one.

99. Keirnoth
    Keirnoth
    January 19, 2015 at 3:40 am

XSEED set a precedent that this kind of stuff *can* make it through. NISA should’ve tried to get the rating first after the game was complete and only dialed it back if the ESRB forced them to to allow it to get a lower rating than AO.nnAgain, it’s a slippery slope to censor this kind of stuff. The game is already marketing towards a niche audience and censoring such a product for that audience might push away that niche demographic. NISA knows *exactly* who they are catering to, just like XSEED, and by censoring the product they now set their own precedent that they’re too spineless to argue against the ESRB.

100. kurbstar2
    kurbstar2
    January 19, 2015 at 7:24 am

ESRB requires boxart and promotional material to be free of overly-exposed cleavage, among other things. Conception 2 had a similar situation, and it turned out fine inside the gamennThis isn’t new. Stop worrying

101. kurbstar2
    kurbstar2
    January 19, 2015 at 7:35 am

Monster monoprice was probably one of the worst games they could do first. They knew they were uncomfortable with some of the content, and with zero reputation to their name because of no previous products, it ended up looking there would be another NISA on the block.nnAlthough they have bounced back from it quite well. The rebirth games have been decent quality, they got 2 cero D games that are looking to be uncensored, and the PC ports that are coming. I’m willing to give them another shot

102. kurbstar2
    kurbstar2
    January 19, 2015 at 7:59 am

Let’s not forget they also renamed “punishment time” to “motivational time”. I wonder how many story inconsistencies that will create, let alone NISA’s pathetic attempts at fixing them with what writing “talent” they havennI’d be lying if I said I am not the wee-bit curious on how bad they will destroy this. Maybe when vita emulation becomes a thing

103. kurbstar2
    kurbstar2
    January 19, 2015 at 8:17 am

And buying it is just going to tell them that their shortcuts that you call absurd….is OK to continue. nnAlthough I think NISA’s arrogance and unwillingness to correct problems and criticism stems from the fact they do have at least some sort of sizable circlejerk that sees no problem with their current attitude. Just read the forum if you don’t believe me.

104. daggot
    daggot
    January 21, 2015 at 3:22 am

Whats the point of bringing it over if they’re just going to neuter it? instead of spending time and money waiting for and buying/preordering this mess just start learning Japanese.

105. Kain Yusanagi
    Kain Yusanagi
    January 21, 2015 at 7:40 am

NIS is a world-wide publisher. NISA is *drumroll, please!* NIS for America, specifically.

106. Kain Yusanagi
    Kain Yusanagi
    January 21, 2015 at 7:45 am

“at least then we could have trusted them that the censorship was required.” Why? For what godsforsaken reason does an AO rating justify self-censorship? None at all that holds against logic. It’s just puritanism under a new face.

107. Narmy
    Narmy
    January 21, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Um… because they can’t release an AO game? Console companies do not allow AO games on their systems, so they’d either have to censor it enough to get an M rating, or not release it at all.

108. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 22, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Sorry, but you couldn’t be any more wrong. nnnNIS is the developer and publishes their games in Japan. nnnNISA publishes in NA *and* Europe/EU regions. I’ll just show you some game covers because I don’t feel like explaining further.nnnAkiba’s trip: notice NISA and PEGI at the bottomnnnDanganronpa: notice NISA and USK at the bottomnnnArcana Heart 3: notice NISA and Australia ratng at the bottom.

109. Kain Yusanagi
    Kain Yusanagi
    January 24, 2015 at 9:31 am

When they are the ones that do the translating from Japanese, of course they’re not going to hire a local team. That’s just silly.

110. KCookies
    KCookies
    January 26, 2015 at 8:38 pm

That’s not the only thing that goes into localizing a game. Translation is just one part, the rest is stuff like licensing, printing, advertising, and others of the sort. In this case, NISA handles ALL of that. Again, translation isn’t the only thing that they do.

111. InferiorBeing
    InferiorBeing
    December 2, 2015 at 10:16 am

Censoring Games is something unacceptable and never Support worthy. Don’t release games in the west, and then censor them. It’s better to not release a game at all in this instance.
    Dead or Alive Extreme 3 made a nice example of that, and I hope many will do it the same.
    Screw Censorship.