Persona 5 is Confirmed for a North American Release on PlayStation 4

persona 5 12-6-14-1

We’ve known that Persona 5 is coming to PlayStation 3 in North America and that it’s also coming to PlayStation 4, but only the PS3 version had been confirmed for the west, until now: it was announced during the keynote in this year’s PlayStation Experience that Atlus is also bringing the game to PlayStation 4 in the west.

A release date for Persona 5 hasn’t been confirmed.

1. Nin
    Nin
    December 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Almost done with Persona 3 and I can say that I liked it a lot. Looking forward to 5, though I still have to play, 1, both parts of 2, and 4.

2. Cy
    Cy
    December 6, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Persona is so hit or miss with me. They tend to be either “this is really cool” or “this pisses me off more than any game I’ve ever played”. I’d still like some more info, though I’m resigning myself to the fact that Japanese devs seem to like dragging out their info dumps for as long as possible.

3. Tyrannikos
    Tyrannikos
    December 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I really hope this game goes back to its darker roots. Even Persona 3’s fun high school life still had a feeling of dread and despair. Persona 4 has been non-stop Scooby Doo: SMT Version since its release.

I really hate Persona 4. I want Persona 5 to be different.

4. Jack Ripper
    Jack Ripper
    December 6, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Still think Persona 2 is the best in the series. It had a pretty crazy plot and felt more creepy and went along the lines of SMT series in terms of familiarity.

Persona 3/4 are great games, no doubt about that, but there’s a reason why Persona became mainstream instead of being a niche RPG series after those two games. I want them to go back to the older roots.

5. Max Leo
    Max Leo
    December 6, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Since Persona 3 is your first, personally I would go for Persona 4 next since it’s more of the same with some improvements, then by the time you finish 4, Persona 5 should be almost out. And then you can save persona 1 and 2 for when you have an urge during a dry season of games.

December 6, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Sonicmeerkat confirmed for buy persona 5 as soon as humanly possible.

7. Tyrannikos
    Tyrannikos
    December 6, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I completely agree. P2 duology was the best. P3’s story was at least delivered well. This is where my main issues start popping up, though. P4 simply abandoned everything I saw as “Persona”.

To be fair, I really am a mainline SMT kind of guy. I try not to judge Persona based on SMT’s merits. That can be difficult, though, when Persona started off so similarly to SMT.

8. artemisthemp
    artemisthemp
    December 8, 2014 at 6:44 am

Wasn’t Persona 5 first announce coming to PS4?
    I would be kinda surprising to only see the PS3 version in the West.

Now I just wonder how long EU will have to wait for Persona 5… best to get US version since, EU doesn’t seem to get all the sweet deals US does.