Kalypso Media has revealed that El Presidente will be returning to form with Tropico 5. If you’ve never played the games before, they put you in the shoes of a dictator in South America. You literally just live out your days as the defacto leader and try to expand your power.
Gameplay is akin to a city builder / strategy game. New to Tropico 5 will be advanced trading mechanics, technology, scientific research trees and island exploration. The goal of the game is to secure your dominance throughout the decades.
Want to see a preview of the game? Check out the brand new Tropico 5 teaser trailer here:
The game features a ton of new gameplay features, all new artwork and easily one of the biggest additions is the ability to create dynasties. Yes, this means you’ll be able to secure your power even after your death via your own extended family.
Tropico 5 is also adding a first for the series – co-operative and competitive multiplayer for up to four players! Exciting stuff!
Here are some of the official features of Tropico 5:
- The Eras – From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!
- The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.
- Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!
- Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.
- Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.
- All new art – All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.
- Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.
Tropico 5 is slated for a 2014 release. Kalypso will release Tropico 5 on the Xbox 360, PC, Mac and Linux. You can check out the official website here.