Starlight Inception is a game by indie developers Escape Hatch Entertainment, based out of Austin, Texas. The team is very set on trying to capture that feeling you got playing classic games like Wing Commander, X-Wing and Freespace 2 – while trying to have a fresh and unique approach to the genre that many people are calling dead.
The interesting thing about Starlight Inception is that it’s not just slated for PC like most space sims, it’s also coming to PS3 and even more curiously PS Vita. The devs themselves have said how impressed they are with the Vita hardware, most notably its graphical prowess and it’s gorgeous OLED screen.
Here is the latest and greatest gameplay trailer for the game:
A few key points about the game:
- You will be able to switch between first and third person when in battle.
- You can walk around in the carrier you’re assigned to when not in battle.
- The game will have a story – you’re a pilot assigned to the USF Independence during World War IV.
- You’re not restricted to combat missions, there is also salvage and exploration based objectives. They’re focusing on variety with missions.
- The game will have multiplayer, but they haven’t divulged yet whether there will be co-op, pvp, or both.
The game is set to ship this fall, with a beta coming up very soon apparently. You can check out their various updates on their Kickstarter page.