After a successful Kickstarter campaign, Indie developer Mega Cat Studio has launched Coffee Crisis.
The game is a throwback, side-scrolling beat ’em up now available for PC, Mac, and Linux (via Steam) and even the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. Featured above, you can view a trailer for the retro fighter.
Here’s a rundown on the game, via Mega Cat Studio:
A dark brew of alien invasions, heavy metal, and side-scrolling beat-em-up action on the streets of Pittsburgh!
The Smurglian race has come to Earth and they’re not leaving until they steal our four most prized commodities: metal music, the best coffee, cat videos, and all the WiFi. Challenge them through unique and innovative levels inspired by real-life areas in Pittsburgh, PA. Join Black Forge Coffeehouse baristas Nick and Ashley, two galaxy gladiators called to arms to stop this madness and remove the Smurglian threat from Earth.
The Smurglians can have the cat videos… but if you don’t help our heroes fend off against the alien-assimilated elderly, bros, cowgirls, and country western singers, who knows what could happen!
- Classic side-scrolling beat ‘em up action that feels better than you remember.
- 2 playable baristas, each with their own attributes and alien-crushing special moves.
- Destroy and throw a variety of environmental objects and even enemies.
- Collect coffee-themed powerups and weapons for an espresso shot of action.
- Gorgeous hand drawn and hand-animated sprites and backgrounds true to Sega Genesis specifications.
- Unlockable mini-games to boost high scores.
- Visit Pittsburgh landmarks like the Duquesne Incline, PNC Park, and Grandview Boulevard.
- A soundtrack featuring original music by Pittsburgh metal band Greywalker.
Coffee Crisis is also planned for a release on Xbox One.