Nintendo has announced they’re killing off their smartphone-exclusive Miitomo app.
A remnant of their Mii and Miiverse-focused operating systems found in the Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3DS, and the Wii U, the social application will shut down on May 9th at 12 AM Pacific / 3 AM Eastern / and 4 PM Japan time.
The sale of Miitomo coins has already been cut off, while daily login bonuses of Miitomo coins and game tickets will be continually offered until the service ends in May, so that users can keep enjoying the app while it lasts.
Following the cutoff of the app’s online services, the following details are pertinent:
- If you launch the app after the end of service on May 9, you’ll see a message informing you that service has ended. You will no longer be able to use any of the app’s features.
- You will no longer be able to see your answers or messages in the app.
- You will no longer be able to use items you’ve obtained in the app, such as clothing items, wallpapers, or posters.
- You can transfer your Mii character to your Nintendo Account by linking it to Miitomo. (Its personality and other information will not be carried over.)
- Sidekick Mii characters will be deleted. You can keep Sidekick Mii characters by saving them as a QR Code before the end of service on May 9, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. PT. They can then be transferred to Mii Maker on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems or the Wii U console.
- You will not be able to view Miifotos, including Miifotos you have shared to your social media channels. If you want to save any Miifotos, you must save them to your smart device before May 9, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. PT.
- Miitomo-themed icons and clothing items used in your Nintendo Account or the Super Mario Run game will not display after the service has ended.