Niche Gamer Plays is an ongoing video preview series where our staff take an in-depth and yet concise look at classic, current, and upcoming games across all current gaming platforms.
In the latest episode of Niche Gamer Plays, we get hands on with the Fleet Battles Beta for Star Control: Origins. Dick-shaped spacecraft may have been constructed, and many laughs were had.
Thank you to everyone who tuned in – and for Stardock for handing out a few keys for the game too (Editor’s Note: Expect more giveaways in the future as we’ll try to get more freebies for other games)!
Here’s a rundown on the game, via Stardock:
Explore a living galaxy filled with alien civilizations, new and exotic worlds, pulse pounding combat, and a deep, rich history that is yours to unravel!
Congratulations! You are the Captain of Earth’s very first interstellar ship. That’s good. Really good. So very good. There’s just one small problem. Barely worth mentioning but a hostile alien race known as the Scryve want to exterminate us. We need you to go find allies, discover and use these so-called Precursor relics to upgrade your ship and try to avoid getting eaten along the way so that you can save humanity. We don’t want you to feel pressure though. Just the very future of the human race rests on your shoulders.
- Interact with aliens, both malicious and absurd.
- Explore a living universe that frankly can’t believe you’re flying around in that…thing.
- Travel across exotic and amazing worlds searching for relics, Precursor artifacts, and treasures.
- Navigate through thousands of planets in a universe that has a deep history spanning back hundreds of thousands of years.
- Design your own ships or download them from Steam to build fleets and take them into combat in fleet battles!
- Create or download other universes with their own history, stars, planets, aliens, ships and adventures.
- Interact directly with the development team, post your ideas, and be part of something amazing!
Star Control: Origins is currently in development for PC. If you’re looking to get in on the action, you can get the game here on Steam.