Feral Interactive has released both Total War: Shogun 2 and its Fall of the Samurai expansion for Linux.
While both games are available on the Feral Interactive website, you can also grab the Steam version, which also now supports the Linux release (Editor’s Note: The copies sold by Feral are still redeemed with Steam keys).
Here’s a rundown on the game and its expansion, via Feral Interactive:
MASTER THE ART OF WAR
In the darkest age of Japan, endless war leaves a country divided. It is the middle of the 16th Century in Feudal Japan. The country, once ruled by a unified government, is now split into many warring clans. Ten legendary warlords strive for supremacy as conspiracies and conflicts wither the empire. Only one will rise above all to win the heart of a nation as the new shogun…The others will die by his sword.
Take on the role of one Daimyo, the clan leader, and use military engagements, economics and diplomacy to achieve the ultimate goal: re-unite Japan under his supreme command and become the new Shogun – the undisputed ruler of a pacified nation.
Total War: SHOGUN 2 features enhanced full 3D battles via land and sea, which made a name for the series, as well as the tactical campaign map that many refer to as the heart and soul of Total War. Featuring a brand new AI system inspired by the scriptures that influenced Japanese warfare, the millennia old Chinese “Art of War”, the Creative Assembly brings the wisdom of Master Sun Tsu to Total War: SHOGUN 2. Analysing this ancient text enabled the Creative Assembly to implement easy to understand yet deep strategical gameplay.
- CONQUER the islands of Japan in the 16th century. Lead vast armies of samurai and fleets of giant warships into breathtaking real-time battles.
- BUILD your kingdom on the inviting and turn-based campaign map. Wield economic, political, and military power to amass wealth, armies, and influence.
- SCHEME according to the “Art of War” by Sun Tzu. Use fire and siege tactics, spies and assassins to adapt to the ever-changing conditions on the battlefield and throughout your kingdom.
- BATTLE ONLINE and experience the main campaign in two-player mode. Then join epic online battles with up to 8 players and lead your online army to glory in special campaigns.
Fall of the Samurai Key Features:
- Access additional skills with four new faction packs. Each one introduces a fresh faction for use in singleplayer and multiplayer campaigns as well as custom battle modes.
- Combine the strength and discipline of traditional samurai warriors with explosive military innovations, such as Gatling guns, shrapnel-shooting Parrott guns and torpedoes.
- Open Japan to foreign trade by supporting the shogunate, or resist western influence by backing the Emperor. Lead your own clan and use a combination of clever diplomacy, economic prowess, espionage and military force to convince others to give you their allegiance.
- Carve a path into the future by researching and upgrading technologies on the civil and military tech trees, and prepare for rebellion by those who seek to stand in the way of progress.