Toejam and Earl creator Greg Johnson has announced that the crowdfunded sequel, Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove, will be coming to Nintendo Switch alongside the previously announced platforms.
The game will feature nine playable characters with unique stats and abilities, and will make use of randomly generated worlds similar to the original Sega Genesis game.
Toejam and Earl: Back in Groove will also launch on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC sometime this year.
Here’s a rundown on the game, via Humanature Studios:
Yo! Check it out… ToeJam and Earl are back on Earth once again, getting funky and running from those crazy Earthlings. Deja vu! (deja vu!) Here’s the basics… TJ decides it’s a good idea to “borrow” the Rapmaster Rocketship from Lamont (no point waking him up, right?), so he and Big E. can take Latisha and Lewanda out for a joyride. While they’re in orbit around Earth, maybe showing off just a little, TJ tells Earl to crank the bass on the speakers and “Press the RED button!” Unfortunately, that’s the button that says: “Black Hole – Do Not Press!!” (Doh!) You can pretty much guess the rest, TJ and Earl once again find themselves searching for the pieces of their Rocketship, collecting power-up presents left lying around by Santa, and dealing with the less-than-rational human beings.
Back in the Groove is a mash-up of the very best features from the classic console games (that’s one and two, y’all), with a pile of new features thrown in. The goal is to give old skool TJ & E fans a pure blast of funky nostalgia, and give new players a taste of the light-hearted, co-op play that is TJ & E.
- Nine playable characters including: TJ and E, Latisha, Lewanda, GeekJam, Peabo, and Earl’s mom, Flo.
- Randomly generated stacked levels, just like game one, but now you can see down!
- Lots of secret locations (yes level 0 is there too!), and new terrain types.
- A TON of funky music. 13 remakes of old favorite songs and 13 new songs in the same old skool funky style.
- A dynamic split-screen for couch co-op play, as well as online play – supports up to 4 players!
- Randomly generated, improved Hyperfunk Zone allows for multi-player co-op too!
- A huge number of new presents, Earthlings, player character stats, character-specific dialogue, permanent power-hats, and many features that enhance cooperative play and make this the best Toejam and Earl yet!