This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Arachnid Games released their underwater exploration RPG, Diluvion, earlier this month for both PC and Mac.
The game is described as a Jules Verne-inspired exploratory RPG of sorts, where you can pilot one of nine highly customizable submarines. The above trailer certainly recaptures the feeling of adventure that Verne’s novels have been famous for.
As you explore the deep, where humanity has eked out an attempt at survival following a Great Flood that brought on an ice age, trapping the last remaining humans under a thick later of unbreakable ice. Your goal is to upgrade your submarine, explore, and uncover riches and new areas.
You can upgrade your home base as you find your place among the new underwater civilization, filled with new cities, cultures, and religions.
You have direct control over how you go about your missions: a stealthy warship that swiftly takes out your enemies, or an overbearing submarine stacked with enough firepower to wipe out practically anything.
Here are the game’s key features:
- A Beautiful Underwater World to Explore: Three massive and beautifully realized open sea zones to explore, each with their own factions, local stories and more
- Innovative Combination of 2D & 3D Graphics: Experience the mysteries of the deep in beautifully rendered 3D graphics as you navigate your submarine, and seamlessly switch to meticulously hand-painted 2D graphics when exploring towns and cities
- Thrilling Real-Time Submarine Combat: Utilize an arsenal of underwater weapons to engage in life-or-death firefights with other submarines and deadly terrifying creatures
- Crew Recruitment: Assemble your own unique crew to fight alongside you by recruiting different Helmsmen, Gunners and Sonar Technicians. Utilize each of their special skills and personalities to change the flow of combat and exploration.
- Upgradable Submarines: Continuously improve your vessel by acquiring new weapons that can dramatically change the tide of battle
- 9 Pilotable Submarines: Explore the world to uncover 9 unique pilotable submarines, each with their own feel, strengths and weaknesses
- Resource Management: This world is not for the faint of heart, as resources are limited and survival is a constant battle. You’ll have to actively manage your food supplies and oxygen levels should you wish to keep your crew alive and overcome the perils of the sea
- Upgradeable Home Base: Build- and grow your own base of operations under the sea to house all your stand-by crew members and submarines. Upgrade your base to increase your notoriety and wealth, as upgraded bases can also house valuable opportunities, such as rare item merchants and bars with notorious sailors as patrons.
- Loot System: The world is filled with rare loot and hidden quests to discover…. Especially for those who dare to venture off the beaten path
- Terrifying Underwater Foes: Explore the world and test your bravery against giant sea creatures and mysterious undersea anomalies!
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!