This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
We’ve all played games where an evil wizard or warlock uses his powers to unleash chaos and devastation upon the local populace.
Midipixel has released a game where you’re not some gallivanting hero fighting a legendary spellcaster – you’re an ordinary mailman and you have to hand-deliver a letter to your local warlock.
Press play on the above trailer to get an idea of how the game’s mechanics unfold. Game Boy fans out there should make sure to don your rose-tinted glasses.
Unfortunately for you, this warlock is a total dickhead and has installed lots of traps, puzzles, and monsters throughout the vast number of floors and areas of his tower, all to simply hinder your progress to handing off your letter.
Here’s the kicker: every step you take drains a bit of your life, so you have to meticulously choose the route in which you progress.
Here are the game’s key features:
- AMAZING 8-bit flavored graphics and sfx/music! Feels like playing your GameBoy™ again!
- 5 DIFFERENT WORLDS, each with its own theme (dungeon, factory, warehouse, library and laboratory)!
- TONS and TONS of MIND-BREAKING puzzles! Find keys, pull levers, lower gates, push jars, ride treadmills, teleport around… you NAME IT!
- DIFFERENT TYPES of DANGEROUS MONSTERS to trick and escape from, each with its own behavior and movement pattern!
- Play with a friend (OR WITH YOURSELF) in the Tag Team stages! Alternate between two characters to reach the end of the rooms!
- JOYSTICK SUPPORT for the desktop! And incredible mobile touchscreen controls! INCREDIBLE, we say!
- A wacky sense of humor most will mistake for stupidity.
You can find Warlock’s Tower here on Steam on both PC and Mac, for $9.99.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!